Ok so obviously every person in the world who plays guitar knows sweet child o mine by guns n roses. when slash is playing the intro to it how does he get the sound he's using? it doesn't sound like distortion. i didn't know if it was because of the les paul (i tried using my epiphone but it could obviously never compare to a gibson) or what but when i play it i want it to sound as like it as possible can anyone tell me what pick up (neck or body) he is using or anything to help?
are u asking which pickup or what kind?
its on neck im almost positive
i think hes uses a seymour duncan alnico 2
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
i think it was just a clean channel with the volume up, giving it a sparkle tone or whatever.

i always play it with distortion tho.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
he's definitely on the neck pickup and i think it is light distortion.hope that helps
This is what I use...

Neck pickup

Gain 4, Bass 7, Mid 6, Treble 4, Reverb 3, Presence 7

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

If you want to sound like slash you need to have slash's gear, simple.
Quote by A-Chilton
Ok so obviously every person in the world who plays guitar knows sweet child o mine by guns n roses. when slash is playing the intro to it how does he get the sound he's using? it doesn't sound like distortion. i didn't know if it was because of the les paul (i tried using my epiphone but it could obviously never compare to a gibson) or what but when i play it i want it to sound as like it as possible can anyone tell me what pick up (neck or body) he is using or anything to help?

I just want to point out that Slash didn't record Appetite with a Gibson, he recorded it with a custom built guitar styled after the Gibson Les Paul.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I just want to point out that Slash didn't record Appetite with a Gibson, he recorded it with a custom built guitar styled after the Gibson Les Paul.

are you sure? in the music video u can see several times that the headstock says gibson (not close up but enough to recognize it.) i mean u could be right he could just be using that for the music video
It's fairly well-known that he recorded the album with a 1959 replica built by a luthier.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Sounds like a bit of distortion, the crunch setting on most amps should work well.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by A-Chilton
are you sure? in the music video u can see several times that the headstock says gibson (not close up but enough to recognize it.) i mean u could be right he could just be using that for the music video

thats just a music video, the album was recorded a while before the video was, he would have had more money by then and was able to buy a gibson
i play it with distortion. if you have a POD, there's a great slash tone you can get from the tone exchange place
Bump up the bass, roll back the treble (or keep the treble about average, depends on your gear obviously), give the mids a tiny boost, and have just the slightest amount of overdrive (not distortion!). Provided your gear is halfway correct, you'll have Slash's tone, or thereabouts.

For Sweet Child O' Mine, most of the song is played on the neck pickup, and he doesn't dig the strings that much.
I play it on a strat with a fair amount of distortion. I use the bridge pick up but roll the treble all the way back on the tone knob and can dial in a pretty good sound. Live I usually play with more distortion than on the record but it still sounds good - I find if you record it not all the distortion comes through onto tape either so it sounds a bit cleaner than it might have actually been.