Hi, my firnd bought an Ibanez RG with a Floyd Rose. When we unlock the nut to downtune, the trem. sank into the body. Can anyone help us sort this please????

Thanks
I wouldn't touch it anymore, it's clear you're unexperienced with floyds.

Don't worry though, this is nothing major.

I recommend taking it to a local shop or tech, and get them to explain to you about the mechanics of the trem. That's what i did with my old Ibanez when the same thing happened to me
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
The tuners were most likely rotated while the nut was locked. When you unlocked the nut, the slack was taken up, hence why your bridge sank.

You simply need to adjust the spring tension.

Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
I wouldn't touch it anymore, it's clear you're unexperienced with floyds.

Don't worry though, this is nothing major.

I recommend taking it to a local shop or tech, and get them to explain to you about the mechanics of the trem. That's what i did with my old Ibanez when the same thing happened to me

Nonsense. It's not a difficult mechanism and not worth the $60 to learn.

The bridge floats on two studs via the knife edge (called the pivot point). The tension of the strings is counter balanced by the tension of a set of springs in the tremelo cavity underneath the body of the guitar.

If the bridge is sunk into the trem cavity, you need to decrease the spring tension by decreasing the length of the springs. Open up the tremelo cavity in the back, there should be two screws on a plate hooked onto the springs near the side of the cavity closest to the headstock. Adjust these screws to adjust the spring tension.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Aug 31, 2007,
Wrong you don;t need to increase spring tension Bazilisk311 you need to adjust string tension. If the tremelo sunk into the body then the springs are pulling to much. You need to tighten the strings or loosen the springs but definetly not tighten them.
Quote by Redsx158
Wrong you don;t need to increase spring tension Bazilisk311 you need to adjust string tension. If the tremelo sunk into the body then the springs are pulling to much. You need to tighten the strings or loosen the springs but definetly not tighten them.

I know, was a typo - I edited the post already.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311

Nonsense. It's not a difficult mechanism and not worth the $60 to learn.

The tech I use charges nothing for advice. And I seriously doubt it costs £34-ish to re set a trem.

All I'm trying to do is prevent the poor guy from making the same mistake I did when I was in his situation, and charge in with no experience.

And for someone who isn't used to floyds, it can be a difficult mechanism.

Just my opinion. Otherwise what Bazilisck has said is correct if you want to attempt this yourself.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Also don't change tunings on a Floyd - it's not worth the hassle and if you have a cheap one it'll shorten it's lifespan.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
The tech I use charges nothing for advice. And I seriously doubt it costs £34-ish to re set a trem.

All I'm trying to do is prevent the poor guy from making the same mistake I did when I was in his situation, and charge in with no experience.

And for someone who isn't used to floyds, it can be a difficult mechanism.

Just my opinion. Otherwise what Bazilisck has said is correct if you want to attempt this yourself.

It depends how confident he is to sort it. But Your right its not a difficult or complicated thing to sort out.
Quote by jamesy15
Yey I Did It!

congo rats!

Ibanez JEM 7VWH
How much were you retuning ? I can retune my strings by some 3 semitones using just the fine tuners, so drop D or even drop Db is still possible
Quote by jamesy15
Yey I Did It!

Congrats man. See aint that hard is it!!
Quote by Klayy
How much were you retuning ? I can retune my strings by some 3 semitones using just the fine tuners, so drop D or even drop Db is still possible

No you can't - the moment you change one string everything else goes out of whack - also you bugger up the tension balance which is bad for yoour bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You shouldn't have a problem with drop D with a Floyd Rose. The thing about Floyd Roses is you have to be patient. If you drop D, let it sit for an hour or so to allow the string and spring tension to set. Then you will probably have to tune the rest of the strings up to get the back to standard and you will be alright.

It may be possible to turn the tuning nut on the trem all the way up on your E string and tune like normal, lock the nuts and then try turning the nut down until you get to D. Just need to experiment a little.