I was wondering about buying a new modelling/hybrid amp as my Randall RG50TC all tube amp keeps breaking, yes I am willing to trade reliabilty for tone as I can't be bothered repeatedly taking it back to the shop for a replacement. I mostly play metal but still want a decent, not spectacular clean tone. I have about £300 but could stretch to £350 if i really had to. I was looking at the vox ad60vt, my friend has the ad120vt and it's pretty good, and the vox ad50vt2-xl as it is supposed to be made for metal. Also don't say spiders cos I used to have one and it wasn't that good.
I would suggest a more reliable tube combo and some analog pedals. If you prefer modeling and solid state the Roland Cube series. For tubey tone (the closest to tube of all ss amps) and super reliability the Peavey Transtube series.
Quote by uldhppi
I would suggest a more reliable tube combo and some analog pedals. If you prefer modeling and solid state the Roland Cube series. For tubey tone (the closest to tube of all ss amps) and super reliability the Peavey Transtube series.

I don't find the cube or peavey's distorted tones to be any good, personally. The cube is very bland in general, and the peavey is really thin and fizzy. Not as bad as the cube though IMO. The peavey's cleans are very good though, and the reverb is nice.

Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 is worth a look, they go for about £200 now, and in my opinion they sound a hell of a lot better than the cubes and peaveys.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I've only had one problem in two years of my amp... O_O
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
I'd say go for the vox's- the regular ones have good some great channels for metal anyways, you go for the xl, you get more metal but lose the other sounds.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Actually Peavey Transtubes are reliable. I have no idea about the Cube's reliability, I only suggest it because the TS plays metal and the Peavey might not do metal as well. I personally would never buy either. I play blues and classic rock and prefer tubes and analog pedals. However I have stopped advising people to stay away from hybrids, modeling tech and solid state because it seems to provoke a negative reaction from some of the younger players. There is no use advising someone to do something you know they will not do. Rather than get flamed and called a "tube snob" I just give the best advice I can within what I think the player is willing to do. People have to make their own decisions about how to spend their (or their parent's) money. If you really want good tone get a tube combo and analog pedals.