I've recently started using a metronome to refine my playing.

I have a few questions about notation.

When I play one note per click along with my metronome, is that a whole note, or halfnote at the given tempo?

What about 2 notes per click? and so on?
I don't know what you mean by '2 notes per click' or anything, but here's my explanation assuming you don't know much: if you're in a time signature that ends with a "4"(i.e. 3/4, 2/4, 4/4) then it will be a quarter-note.(Filled in circle, no flags.) Likewise, if you're in a time signature that ends with an "8" it will be an eighth note.(Filled in circle, one flag) Continue on to any crazy tempo you'd like.
Quote by yawn
Depends on how you want to use the metronome, rhythmically.

Yep, it's all up to the user. If you want an insanely fast tempo, but your metronome only goes to prestissimo, just use the tick as a whole note and you've got an even faster tempo. Or if you want a really slow song, set it to largo and use each tick as a sixteenth note That would be painfully slow.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I know its up to the user!

What do you mean you dont know what 2 notes per click is? A metronome clicks. If I play 2 notes per click (or beat) am I playing half notes or quarter notes?
if the click is one beat in 4/4 time (which the majority of music is) then 2 notes per click are 8th notes
A nice thing to do with a metronome is to set it at half tempo and take the clicks as the 2nd and 4th beats. I find it really helps with jazz playing and getting a swing feel seeing those beats are considered more rhythmically important than 1 and 3.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by a19e86
I know its up to the user!

What do you mean you dont know what 2 notes per click is? A metronome clicks. If I play 2 notes per click (or beat) am I playing half notes or quarter notes?

Apparently you don't...

It is up to you to decide what rhythmic notes you are playing. If you decide that one click is one quarter note and you play two equal notes per click, you are playing eighth notes. If you decide that one click is one whole note, then you are playing two half notes... See, easy.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It can be a bit confusing starting out but most beginners start with each click representing a quarter note. So assuming equal time between notes 2 notes per click is eighth notes as already stated, 3 note per click is a triplet, 4 notes per click are 16th notes,5 per click are quintuplets, 6 per click are sextuplets and 8 per click are 32nd notes.