well you cant really stop a tube amp from getting hot. if you let it warm up first (like your supposed to) then they will be hot. i get decent distortion turned down low, but it dont compare to when i turn up around 5 ish (i have to get earplugs). and about 6 on the clean channel. So basically all im saying is that they are goign to be warm before it will even produce sound.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ +1. You wont get any noise out of your amp if you don't let your tubes warm up for a minute or two.
the amp doesn't revolve around the tubes mind you. they should always be warm and ready when you play, but if you're playing a fender twin reverb, for instance, you're not going to get any overdrive or anything close to distortion without using some sort of overdrive or distortion pedal.

not saying you can't get distortion, but you need to find amps that suit the style of music yoi play. if you like heavy metal distortion, you're gonna need a metal-voiced amp. if you want classic rock/cleans, they're easier to come by, because they're usually cheaper.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008