I know roughly how to do them, im still learning, but what i want to know is, when used in metal songs, are they immediately followed by a pull on the whammy bar or simply by rapid vibrato?... hopefully someone knows what im talking about

You should do them with distortion. You can do them clean, but to get the best sound you should use distortion.
^ You just need to find the right spot. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Yeah, it is usually followed with a full bend and then a half bend, but make it fast, so it will sound like a vibrato.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by sdmf5150
Usually just vibrato. can you give some examples?

thanks i just needed that clarification.

oddly i cant think of any of the top of my head

but you have answered my question none the less
Quote by p.stick
Yeah, it is usually followed with a full bend and then a half bend, but make it fast, so it will sound like a vibrato.

what now? that'd sound like ass, surely. you want the vibrato to be hitting the same pitch on each bend...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you have to find the harmonic spot of where you pick. take a look at this
http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php
if you take the time to read it it will say to find the harmonic where you pick. mines right behind my neck pick up. once you find the spot tats where you want to lightly use the thumb technique. start by practicng on the d string 7th fret. it took me about a week to learn.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Quote by Dave_Mc
what now? that'd sound like ass, surely. you want the vibrato to be hitting the same pitch on each bend...

parkway drive and killswitch engage do exactly that, and it certainly doesn't sound like ass..
yea it took me a while to do them... but then I learned that if i got under the strings, and hit it with the pick and then brush my thumb it works very well... and after practicing for a while i dont have to get under the string so much... but anywayz...

to get a good sounding pinch harmonics you need a good bit of distortion and to pluck in the right place of the string. Different locations on the string have different harmonics
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
use distortion and lots of treble for best results
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by DieKrupps
i thought they were called pinched harmonics.

They are and aren't.
Pinch, pinched, fake, false, artificial... it's all the same, they're all squealies.

I get the best sound out of them by bending them about a half step and then vibrato'ing either an additional half step or an additional full step.
The difference between doing bend/vibrato and bar dives is the bend will raise the pitch and the bar will lower it.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
bend the string to get a really harsh kind, use some vibrato to some subtle-er ones.
Quote by haz_uk
parkway drive and killswitch engage do exactly that, and it certainly doesn't sound like ass..

are you sure? it sounds to me just like normal, wide, vibrato (no idea who parkway drive even are, i mean KSE)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, two wide vibratos, the first one is smaller than the second. Thus a half and a full

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

eh, i never really measured...

EDIT: they sound to be at the same pitch to me. i stand by what i said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does the pickup make a difference? Like if you have a name brand pickup will it make a difference?
if you have a pickup with good harmonics, it'll make a difference, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?