If any of this has been answered before or even if I asked them before, I'm sorry.

So... I am currently saving up for a real amp. After going to Manny's a few months back and trying out tons of amps, I realized that I loved the Deluxe Reverb. Then, about 4 days ago, I started saving for it. (That's why I only have $41 at this point) But since there is no way I'm going to be able to buy it new I wanted to buy it used. However, my parents (I'm not 18 yet) don't really want me to buy it used. This may be an option at some point, but I'm really not sure. So basically I need a cheaper alternative. Most of the covers I play (RHCP, Hendrix, LOTS of funk, classic rock etc) is originally played through Marshall amps, but I haven't found a nice one for under a grand. And of course I love Fender as a company. My originals from my band are basically funk rock, nothing even close to metal. Any recommendations? I may end up buying something cheaper used...

Also, even though most Fenders have nice reverb, it probobly wouldn't be tube reverb like the DRRI. Would it be worth it the invest in a Holy Grail even though they are both digital, or is it not a big deal? (love that pedal)

When I get the amp, I'm plan on selling the boss and getting a big muff, so I have all my od/fuzz/dist needs covered.

On an unrelated note, I also plan to get a new wah in the future. My dream wah would be a WH-10, but that's definately not happening. I've basically narrowed it down to two wahs: Vox v748a, or Fulltone Standard Wah. People have said that the Vox is the way to go for funk and such, but from what I've heard the Fulltone is nicer. I have played both, but I haven't played either enough to compare. What do you think?

Thanks for your help with any of these questions, and sorry for the long post. I feel like I'm forgetting something, so I might even add more... thanks again.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Aug 31, 2007,
I would go with a B-52, they are relatively cheap and have trans-tube technology. The cheaper model is like $300 for a 150W head and it has two levels of pretty nice gain and some excellent reverb. I'd go with a behringer or crate cab. I have a 400W behringer cab that i got for like $130 and it is really ****ing loud. I started out with a B-52 (i now have a marshall) head and it's a pretty sweet set up. You should be able to get both the head and the cab for around $500-600. Try one out and see if you like it, they are pretty decent heads for the price and dont have that ****ty digital technology that breaks after a couple of shows.
kill 'em a lot
EDIT: ^ dude, he's looking at vintage voiced low wattage tube combos and you're suggesting high wattage solid state half-stacks? o_O

traynor ycv40 or 50 perhaps? the 40 has a fendery clean channel (apologies for not knowing exactly what type of fender its clean is based on, i'm not too big of a fender guy), and quite a decent overdrive channel, while the 50 allegedly has a fendery clean channel and a more marshally overdrive channel (i haven't been able to try the 50 though).

I think prices in the US are around $600-$700.

Those kustom coupes may be worth considering too, i think they're around $800?

or something like a fender blues deluxe, perhaps.

I'm not much of a reverb guy, but i suspect it's possibly not worth the extra investment for a reverb pedal if the amp already has a decent reverb built in (of course it depends how much you'll use it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say look for something in a lower wattage. If you're playing in your room/with some buddies in a basement or a backyard or a small room, you won't need anything more than 30 watts. You're at the point where you're probably liking the sound of a tube amp over your solid-state amp as they sound much warmer and fuller.

And I got my Tiny Terror used, and I haven't had a problem with it. All I did was re-tube it, and it brought new life to it.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
On your wah situation, I'd go for the Vox, although i've played the fulltone and they are pretty similar in sound. DONT get a custom artist wah like the Jimmy Hendrix model. I have that and it's basically like just paying $70 more for some cheap effects and a name. Also, i know i'm really promoting behringer here, but one of my friends has the behringer standard wah thats like $29.99 and i was really suprised at how decent it was. It compares to a crybaby or a vox and it's less than half the price. It's built like a tank and it has a decent tone and range for being so cheap.
kill 'em a lot
Quote by xTJx
I'd say look for something in a lower wattage. If you're playing in your room/with some buddies in a basement or a backyard or a small room, you won't need anything more than 30 watts. You're at the point where you're probably liking the sound of a tube amp over your solid-state amp as they sound much warmer and fuller.

And I got my Tiny Terror used, and I haven't had a problem with it. All I did was re-tube it, and it brought new life to it.

I'm actually in a gigging band, but tbh we don't gig often.

I think I'll just end up getting the Vox, because I think it'll be fine, not to mention easier to get.

Also, I talked with my parents and they ended up saying they have no problem going used and are actually going to support me and help me out. Thank god, I thought they would think I was ungrateful. So my amp situation is pretty much worked out...

Also, I've been thinking of getting the bassballs pedal cause I love how it sounds with guitar, What'do you think?
so im guessing your amp probs are solved then?

i own a v847a, and though its not bad at all, id like to make a case for the fulltone wah though. it has tremendous sweep range. i fell in love with it when i tried it. so if you do get your hands on one, try it out.
Quote by KetchupLad14

I think I'll just end up getting the Vox, because I think it'll be fine, not to mention easier to get.

Also, I talked with my parents and they ended up saying they have no problem going used and are actually going to support me and help me out. Thank god, I thought they would think I was ungrateful. So my amp situation is pretty much worked out...

Also, I've been thinking of getting the bassballs pedal cause I love how it sounds with guitar, What'do you think?

My mistake, I just wan't sure.

But still, if you're playing a 30 watt tube amp, it's going to sound huge. You'll have a great tone because you'll be able to turn it up, and it won't cause everyone to go deaf.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by KetchupLad14

Have you tried the bassballs? Some people say it's kinda noisy.
Quote by xTJx
My mistake, I just wan't sure.

But still, if you're playing a 30 watt tube amp, it's going to sound huge. You'll have a great tone because you'll be able to turn it up, and it won't cause everyone to go deaf.

Oh i know it'll be loud, it just seemed as if you weren't sure whether I was in a band or not, so I was clarifing for you. Don't you feel bad for the people that have to listen to my guitar tone? I leave the Muff'n on as much as possible because that's the only way my guitar tone sounds decent.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you tried the bassballs? Some people say it's kinda noisy.

No I haven't actually tried it, I was just going by some videos I saw. But yesterday, I realized that I don't see it on any music websites or on the EHX website anymore only the nano version, so it may of actually been discontinued, but I don't know.
the blues deluxe is the best alternative to a DR(although the spring reverb on a BD is ss based you won't be able to tell the difference)very nice clean and a bit better od.
Member #30 of the Fender Armada

60th anniversery American strat
Ibanez RG 370
MIM strat with ceramic humbucker in bridge
Squeir affinity strat
Fender blues deluxe
fender fm 15g
Boss DS-1
Vox V847
Quote by Drewlynch15
the blues deluxe is the best alternative to a DR(although the spring reverb on a BD is ss based you won't be able to tell the difference)very nice clean and a bit better od.

I actually already solved my amp problem, but thanks. I was keeping this open to talk about those pedals.

But I actually do have an amp question. I have tried it before, and the sound I like (in general) is a funk sound but with the bass almost dimed. Do you guys like the funk sound from this amp? I know people like the funk sound from the BJ, so I'd assume you'd like this one even better.

Also, can someone tell me what happened with bassballs?