I bought a Vox tonelab SE about six months ago because my main amp was a line 6 spider 2 which was a load of crap and the tonelab had lots of decent amp models that sounded alot better than the spider. recently i bought a laney vc30 212 which is alot better amp and i am alot more satisfied with the tones. BUT i do need and have to use the built in effects on the tonelab though i no longer use the amp models. Why does my good laney tone dissapear when i use the tone lab even when im not using any of the effects or the models. Any suggestions how to get good tube tone while using the effects
don't use a digital processor. use analog pedals. sorry.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
effects loop?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
the amp has an effects loop but i cant get it to work very well. im thinkin about selling the pedal for £200 then buying some effects.
well what effects do you use on the tonelab?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
To get the benefit of the great tone of a tube combo you will need to get some basic analog pedals. Lots of players have discovered the same thing you have. I am sure there are technical reasons why it happens, but the most important thing to remember is digital+analog=digital tone.
yeah man sell the multieffects. get some real analog effects. personally, i would order kits and build them so they are to your specs and high quality, truebypass etc. but if you dont want to do that, there are plenty of great already made pedals to choose from!
i use all sorts of effects, octave, od, fuzz, reverb, delay, chorus, echo, wah
im not too handy with D.I.Y. so i think i will put it on ebay and buy a fulltone ocd n a vox wah cheers any way
Last edited by bobeatsbob at Aug 31, 2007,
An investment in a good multi effects unit is not a bad choice after reading what you use, especially the delay, chorus, reverb and so on. The Boss GT-8 is tops and when set up properly will work well with your tube amp. I've used it with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Mesa Roadster, as well as several other tube amps, and it's a great unit.
Quote by mr_hankey
^Sure, it's pretty good, but it still sucks tone.

Not if you know what you're doing. I've tested it with a true bypass loop pedal and with the loop on/off switch on my mesa and the tone on my amps is the same with or without the loop on (tested with all effects turned off on the GT-8). Keep in mind I used mine in the effects loop of my amp and I had my guitar plugged directly into the front end of the amp. Even with everything turned off on the unit, the signal is still being routed through it's digital/analog conversion network. Even with this conversion process, the tone was the same. Trust me, I'm not blind to the fact that some if not most of the multis on the market do destroy your tone, but for the money the GT-8 has the possibility to be very transparent. I worked for a few hours to achieve this, but the end result was great. It all depends on how much time you're willing to give to set up the unit properly.
Quote by bobeatsbob
the amp has an effects loop but i cant get it to work very well. im thinkin about selling the pedal for £200 then buying some effects.

you dont need to do this, once a pedal is worked out, i.e effects loop and 4 cable method - great sounds can be achieved
ive tried running it through the effects loop and the effects hardly work. the wah just about works but thats it and ive tried with different cables. i dont understand what u meant by four cables because when i hook it up wiith the loop im only using three so perhaps this is where im going wrong please could you to describe how i should set it up.
are there any adjustments for the fx send levels on the amp, and have you adjusted the output from the tonelab? I don't know your unit, but most have different voicings depending where you are running it. Also, is it a parallel or serial fx loop? You may have to adjust the balance if it's a parallel loop, there should be some kind of control for it on the amp. I don't think you can do the 4 cable method unless your multi has an fx loop itself.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
listen to TwoString. he knows what he is talking about
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
If your amp has a parallel effects loop, then you're really not going to do much of anything with the loop at all besides chorus, flange and maybe some reverb/delay. You really shouldn't be running a wah or overdrive in the loop anyway.