Just random curiosity, does anybody know if it is legal when a band rewrites a song by somebody else and then puts it on their album? A few bands I know have done this and I'm wondering if they needed to get permission from the original artist first.
you need permission when covering a song for profit.

if it was live for a show or something, you don't need permission, but otherwise, yeah, you do.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Hmm... I can just see the event where Britney Spears gave Children of Bodom permission to cover one of her songs...

I'd do an impersonation of it, but I'm too lazy.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Hmm... I can just see the event where Britney Spears gave Children of Bodom permission to cover one of her songs...

I'd do an impersonation of it, but I'm too lazy.

haha yea i got that song...
What do you mean by "rewrite"? If it's just a cover, they have to get permission from the publisher, but not necessarily the band. (Or at least that's how I understand it.) If you mean like a parody, it's specifically allowed in copyright law.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I think he means rewrite like as in make a new version entirely.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
Like a remix kind of thing, which uses similar motifs and lyrics, but the structure and everything is totally different. I think that's allowed.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Punk Rocker
I think he means rewrite like as in make a new version entirely.

right, i kinda wanted to rewrite the song "distortion sleep" by SOILWORK but it went in such a different direction it isn't even recognizable