i was looking for a new practice amp that could also be used as a jam amp and was wondering if there were any high gain tube amps that could be played without shaking the whole house.

is the Bandit 112 relatively low in volume?

thanks.
Last edited by SomeDude49 at Aug 31, 2007,
The bandit is not a tube amp.

You could get the Orange TT which switches to 7 watts and goes to 15 when its time to gig.

The Mesa Express series changes to 5 watts..
Quote by SomeDude49
i was looking for a new practice amp that could also be used as a jam amp and was wondering if there were any high gain tube amps that could be played without shaking the whole house.

is the Bandit 112 relatively low in volume?

thanks.

Hi, i have the bandit and its one of the few 12 inch amps i have owned that sounded great at low volumes. It can go really really quiet aswell unlike some. as for jamming with it, its one of the best solid state practice amps around, with great cleans and heavy distortion.

i personally use a roland microcube for bedroom use and the bandit for louder practice and jamming sessions. The bandit doesn't have a headphone socket by the way, don't know if that is important. i am actually thinking of buying a royal 8 valveking which is all tube for bedroom use and selling the microcube.

The valveking will be way too loud for bedroom use.
Quote by Chinomaster182
The bandit is not a tube amp.

You could get the Orange TT which switches to 7 watts and goes to 15 when its time to gig.

While we're on the subject of orange amps you should probably tell us what your budget is
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!

These amps are pricey, but they have amazing tones for most applications except thrash & numetal. Sweet cleans, fat warm blues, rockin' crunch & distorted lead tones. The spring reverb sounds wonderful.

They can also go from 5 to 25 watts when you flick a switch, should you want to play with others ...
Quote by lpmarshall
anything less than a 50 watt tube amp is fine for the bedroom

Yeeeeaaaah... if your bedroom is a gymnasium.

50w Tube is A LOT.

I know you said tube, but consider the modelling amps available as well.
The Vox ADxxVT amps are pretty good. The 30w and up models, I believe, have a wattage selector on the back too. The 15w doesn't need it, it sounds plenty good at low volumes. Just lacks treble.
I've been told that the Vox are the best of the modelling amps, but I'm sure Line6 makes a 15w or so modelling amp, and Ibanez does too.
So consider the modelling amp lines as a possibility. The Vox 15, 30, and maybe even the 50 watters are under $300 new. Not sure on the rest of them. But give 'em a shot at a local music place.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by SomeDude49
i'm mostly into metal, should i just get a Cube 30x?

I haven't used one before, but it's worth trying.
Don't lock yourself into the idea of one and just buy it without a test drive. The amp is a big part of your tone.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
You could wait till the Peavey Windsor Combo comes out in a few months... its 15 watts tube and I believe it has a built in attenuator.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
You could wait till the Peavey Windsor Combo comes out in a few months... its 15 watts tube and I believe it has a built in attenuator.

what's an attenuator and does the amp have a headphone jack? are windsors good metal amps.
Look into the Crate V16, Peavey Classic 30, or the B-52 AT112. I own the V16, it is very versatile and can nail almost anything except extremely high gain stuff, but you may like the B-52 better, because like you said, you are looking for a higher gain amp.

Most tube amps don't have headphone jacks.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS