Hi, I"ve really started to enjoy the genre, and me and some of my friends decicided to start our own band. We want to sound like mono and explosions in the sky. But I"m not sure where to start. Making up guitar things isnt that difficult, but drums and other instruments, I"m not really sure what to do. We have 2 electric guitars, drums, and we kno someone who would play keyboard. Were lacking a bass guitar, so we thought maeby a keyboard could cover for it until we get a new one. Except iam not sure what a bass would play, so I"m not sure what the keyboard should be doing, I"m rather lost.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
first decide you're too mature to play emo music, but that being grounded into a generic genre is ok. then write one song that is about ten minutes long, that focuses on a guitar medley until the last few minutes, then climax with all the instruments- then repeat. that's about all it takes.

it also helps if you don't have a soul.
Basically just listen to bands like Godspeed, Do Make Say Think and so on.

You probably want to get a violinist.
that's why most post rock sucks, bands use certain formulas.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Lots of post-rock musicians have backgrounds in classical and jazz, so good luck imitating them with just a basic music knowledge.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by starsnostars
first decide you're too mature to play emo music, but that being grounded into a generic genre is ok. then write one song that is about ten minutes long, that focuses on a guitar medley until the last few minutes, then climax with all the instruments- then repeat. that's about all it takes.

hahah that was great

my advice, do your own thing. don't try to imitate specific aspects of someone elses music. it will turn out boring.
My advice would be to let the genre choose you instead of choosing the genre. Let it happen organically or else it will come out as cookie-cutter shit. People would say "why would I listen to this when I could just listen to Explosions In the Sky or Mono?".
Get a delay, or several. Build songs up in momentum until a crescendo at the end (not all songs do this, but I like it).

Most of all, play what you like to play, not what you think you should play.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
and iam not saying i want to copy them. That was my general idea of what i want to sound like. But after making up some stuff, i dont sound really a thing like them.
Just make **** up. That's what I did.
Quote by Avopeac

Three Days Grace="I HATE MUH PARENTZ" rock.
Cannibal Corpse="I ATE MUH PARENTZ" rock

Descending
Ascending
Descending
Crescendo
Descending.

Your first step should be to throw away any delay pedals you have.
Then forget everything you know about the post-rock genre especially those stereotypical bands with a thousand clones running out about.
Listen to some Slint.
Now put your right hand in
and take your right hand out
turn yourself about.

and now for my standard
EITS = Overrated.
Oh muh gahd you guiz, Have You Passed Through This Night? !!!!11 my FAV.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Last edited by Knife2aGunFight at Sep 2, 2007,
Like the people above me, I insist on letting the band's sound come naturally, instead of chosing a sound before you've even had your first band practice.
have you passed through this night is awful, stay away from long samples of speech in a southern dialect

listen to do make say think and godspeed you! black emperor. mono and eits (as much love as i have for them) are too simple to get inspired by. another tip i have for you is don't play post-rock. play what comes naturally. i am aware that this tip is unlike any tip given by a previous post in this thread. bonus points from me if your band sounds like sharks keep moving or tera melos, both of whom are decidedly not post-rock.
Quote by starsnostars

this thread should have ended after this post.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.