I read an article in Bass Player magazine about Geddy Lee using a couple of these, and it got me interested in the instrument, since im a big Jaco fan =) anyone tried one of these or own one? If so, id like to know what you think of it
Its basically a fretless jazz bass with upgraded electronics, no pickguard, and its all beat up to recreate the "vintage" look. try looking it up on musician's friend or something. I would jazz it plays similar to other fretless jazz basses, so it must be quite good. Also if Geddy uses it, then that just confirms the point. Personally, I think it might be worth it.
hehe, i figured anything Geddy would play must at least be excellent, but i figured id check with the pros at UG first =D Im looking at one for Christmas
There's 2, the custom shop Jaco sig bass, which has the epoxied fretboard and roundwound strings with the distressed finish. There's also another Jaco sig which has a different fretboard, is strung with flats as standard.

EDIT: The differences between the 2 in bold
Model Number 019-6108-(800)
Series Custom Artist Series
Colors (800) 3-Color Sunburst
(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body Select Alder
Neck Maple, C Shape,
Fingerboard Epoxy Coated, Round Laminate, Rosewood Fingerboard
No. of Frets Fretless, 20 Inlaid White Fretline Markers
Pickups 2 Custom '60s Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups
Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
Master Tone
Pickup Switching N/A
Bridge American Vintage Jazz Bass
Machine Heads Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines
Hardware Nickel/Chrome
Pickguard None
Scale Length 34 (864 mm)
Width at Nut 1.50 (38mm)
Unique Features Cosmetically Aged,
A Faithful Re-creation of Jaco's Famous "Distressed" Jazz Bass,

Epoxy Coated Fingerboard,
Knurled Chrome P Bass Knobs
Strings Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS,
Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100),

Model Number 019-6208-(800)
Series Artist Series
Colors (800) 3-Color Sunburst
Body Select Alder
Neck Maple, “C” Shape,
Fingerboard Urethane Coated, Slab Cut, Pau Ferro Fingerboard
No. of Frets Fretless, 20 Inlaid White Fretline Markers
Pickups 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups
Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
Master Tone
Pickup Switching None
Bridge American Vintage Jazz Bass
Machine Heads Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines
Hardware Nickel/Chrome
Pickguard 4-Ply Brown Shell (Unmounted, Ships In the Case)
Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut 1.50” (38mm)
Unique Features Knurled Chrome P Bass® Knobs,
Special Jaco Tribute Neck Plate,
Side Dot Position Markers are Centered on the Fretlines
Strings Stainless Steel Flatwound 9050M,
Gauges: (.055, .070, .090 .105)
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Aug 31, 2007,
oh whoops, i meant i was looking at the fretless model =P thanks for all the feedback guys, i appreciate it
Last time I saw one they ran about 3000 dollars, way too high in my opinion. You could get something better for the price.
The Tribute bass is over $4000 list and is relic'd.

Geddy Lee plays the Tribute ones, not the artist. To be totally honest, his lack of knowledge about that bass was scary. The guy asked him about the epoxy fingerboard, and he Ms. Teen South Carolina'd his way out of a response. Also, for some reason, he leaves the Fender strings on them, instead of using Rotosounds, which both HE and Jaco use. Strange...

But anyway, I think the Artist is a better value, as the pau/poly combo is much stronger than epoxy/rosewood, and very tonally similar.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 31, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
The Tribute bass is over $4000 list and is relic'd.

Geddy Lee plays the Tribute ones, not the artist. To be totally honest, his lack of knowledge about that bass was scary. The guy asked him about the epoxy fingerboard, and he Ms. Teen South Carolina'd his way out of a response. Also, for some reason, he leaves the Fender strings on them, instead of using Rotosounds, which both HE and Jaco use. Strange...

But anyway, I think the Artist is a better value, as the pau/poly combo is much stronger than epoxy/rosewood, and very tonally similar.

That does it, I'm definitely saving up for the Jaco sig (again, not the reliqued). But do you think that the pickups are fine or some Fender 60's would be better?
Quote by watchingmefall
That does it, I'm definitely saving up for the Jaco sig (again, not the reliqued). But do you think that the pickups are fine or some Fender 60's would be better?

The pickups are great: I always thought Fender was a bit ambiguous with their description of those pickups. They have bevelled magnets and everything. They're solid. If you want to plunk the extra $200 or so on Custom 60's, you can, I guess, but I don't think you'll need to.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The pickups are great: I always thought Fender was a bit ambiguous with their description of those pickups. They have bevelled magnets and everything. They're solid. If you want to plunk the extra $200 or so on Custom 60's, you can, I guess, but I don't think you'll need to.

I'm still thinking, but on the other hand it's not like I'm made of money.
the fender 60's pickup is amazing, i just played the Geddy lee jazz bass with them on.....

.........Great sound!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm still thinking, but on the other hand it's not like I'm made of money.

i guess the best way to decide is simple: try it with the stocks and if you dont like them, get the 60's. from what fitz said it sounds like they actually went all out on the stocks over at fender.

and i agree. I'm not too fond of letting someone else beat the **** out of my basses for me. I'd rather just keep it in a gig bag for a while instead of a hard case and hope that my terrible roadies end up beating it up like any of my other basses
I saw the artist model on GuitarCenter.com for around $1600, not $3000 or whatever you guys are getting....or maybe im just retarded
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
That's the artist model not the tribute model.

Yeah the Artist is the one that Watchingmefall wants, the one that wasn't kicked down the stairs (ha just kidding. I've been in that factory and they hit them with weights and use power sanding and such )

The tribute is the almost Exact replica of Jaco's bass, complete with distressed finish, epoxy and such. Mad jazz bass skills not included.
Quote by flyingmarlin
the fender 60's pickup is amazing, i just played the Geddy lee jazz bass with them on.....

.........Great sound!

That settles it. I read in several places that the Geddy Lee has the exact same pickups as the Jaco. Now I'm all but positive that the pickups on the Jaco are indeed Fender Custom 60's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
That settles it. I read in several places that the Geddy Lee has the exact same pickups as the Jaco. Now I'm all but positive that the pickups on the Jaco are indeed Fender Custom 60's.

You could very well be right about that....

Come to think of it, I've noticed that as well.
ha yeah I just saw rush live in Detroit on Tuesday. He definately used one, and it sounded fantastic.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
ha yeah I just saw rush live in Detroit on Tuesday. He definately used one, and it sounded fantastic.

Geddy used one on a song on Snakes and Arrows, so now they got added to his touring rig. Definitely a good bass, by far. And for that price it should be