i got my classical guitar yesterday and i have been playing in the "classical position" with my electric guitar for a while now but this being my first acoustic guitar its thicker obviously, my problem is the placement of my right forearm on the body of the guitar. how SHOULD it be placed? the way i have it is very uncomfortable and the edge is like cutting into my forearm lol...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
???

The classical position, if memory serves me correctly, is for a right handed person to place the guitar sitting on their left leg at a 45 degree angle, which means your forearm shouldnt have to touch the guitar

again, correct me if im wrong (i have a feelin someones gonna need a picture before this is over)
that thread didnt really answer my question about the right arm positioning, and yes i think it would have to touch the guitar unless you just keep it floating above which would make your arm tired shortly
Quote by Riot Act
???

The classical position, if memory serves me correctly, is for a right handed person to place the guitar sitting on their left leg at a 45 degree angle, which means your forearm shouldnt have to touch the guitar

again, correct me if im wrong (i have a feelin someones gonna need a picture before this is over)

Your forearm from what I understand would be. If you hold your arm up straight, palm facing away from you and you trace your hand down from your middle finger. That bit shouldn't touch the guitar what should it the "inside" bit. I will get a pic in just a second boobles.

Last edited by confusius at Sep 1, 2007,
yeah thats how i have it but it just feels uncofortable with the two edges meet and its like poking into your arm, i guess its just one of those things i have to get used to?
Quote by C.C. Deville
yeah thats how i have it but it just feels uncofortable with the two edges meet and its like poking into your arm, i guess its just one of those things i have to get used to?

Yeah I guess. It never bothered me. Make sure that you aren't leaning into it if you know what I mean. Just rest the arm lightly on top of it. there I was holding the camera so you can see it's digging in more than it should be normally.
alright thanks
i have permenant marks in my arm from where i lean my arm on my guitar because i hold it most hours i am on the computer and play while speaking to friends on msn.

i also lean on the corner of my computer table so i am very very used to it now

i noticed my upper arm has started to ache from the way i hold it recently, because i dont hold my steel dreadnought in the classic guitar position.

should they be held in classic positions or on your right leg as normal?

edit: for fingerpicking songs ^^
Hold your guitar whichever way is most comfortable for you, and which gives you the best results. It's as easy as that. If you are more comfortable standing, then do that. I'll be amazed if this thread goes to two pages over something as basic as this. It's a common sense thing anyhow. If you are uncomfortable, and especially if you begin having pain because of it, then change what you are doing and how you are doing it.
you should check out sum foot stools, i like to bend my left foot so my ankle is facing the ground and then put my right foot on top of my left
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by HenHouse
you should check out sum foot stools, i like to bend my left foot so my ankle is facing the ground and then put my right foot on top of my left

yeah i do that too
No stealy muh avi >.<
Quote by HenHouse

yeah, i have a footstool lol...