what are the best amps for playing melodic death metal in the $1300 range? I was thinking of getting a used 5150 halfstack, or a new 6505 combo and getting a 4x12 cab if i need it in the future. How much is to much for a used Peavey 5150 head? and are these my best 2 choices for new amp for playing this kind of music?

would the 6505 combo sound ok with a 4x12 cab? If i did this I would only get the 4x12 cab when i start to gig. would it even be loud enough?

my current amp is a Line 6 spider II 2x12.

if there is any other amps that are worth looking into lemme know about them please.
Hell yeah the peavey would be mad. The 5150 and the 6505 are basically the same thing, they sound abit different, and i think the 5150 has abit more gain.

However I dont know about the 6505 combo, never played one.

Some other amps you should check out are ENGL, Genz Benz, Soldano and Mesa.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+

These amps are awesome for melodic death metal. I got my Mark II second hand for £550, though I dont know what that would surmount to in dollars.

^ +1 on ENGL's. Try the Powerball if you can.
Quote by littlemurph7976
5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+

These amps are awesome for melodic death metal. I got my Mark II second hand for £550, though I dont know what that would surmount to in dollars.

^ +1 on ENGL's. Try the Powerball if you can.

You just have to keep in mind that while the 5150=6505, there is still a difference in sound. Dont ask me what it is lol.

And yes the powerball kicks arse
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by within the war
I'm pretty much set on the 6506+ head and possibly an avatar cabinet but what about B-52 AT-100/AT-412 100W is this a pretty good amp for metal? here the link http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT100AT412-100W-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack?sku=481188

You'd need an overdrive pedal to get the AT into death metal range. I do it daily.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by within the war
But i would also need one for the Peavey right?

Not in the slightest. That has enough gain to kill small animals. Or more.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
can go wrong with peavey. lol enough gain to kill small animals
but with a pedal the B-52 will sound nice? I have a Boss MT-2 Metal zone and if I can save money by getting the B-52 that would be cool.

or the 6505 combo...

i keep changing my mind...
Quote by within the war
but with a pedal the B-52 will sound nice? I have a Boss MT-2 Metal zone and if I can save money by getting the B-52 that would be cool.

The Boss MT-2 wouldn't be the best choice. Try a Bad Monkey overdrive if you are short on cash.

Get the 6505 for metal. End of story.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
you playing gigs? Normally unless your playing at the Gigantour the combo will be fine by itself.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
I will be playing small gigs soon but whhen i do its not going to be anything big for awhile, so i'm guessing combo...
should be fine, unless you want to look that little bit "cooler", halfstacks carry the sound abit more too, but as you said, later on you can get a 4x12 or even a 2x12.

play first before you buy it. thats important.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
I'd go for the head and a 2x12 cabinet. It'll be more expensive but much easier to carry around. The 5150/6505 combos are known for being extremely heavy.
Join my quest for a cheap, quiet, high gain, tube amp!

Or just PM me with suggestions.