Hi this is my first thread so be nice

I noticed that many players chose to have a rack setup including a seperate poweramp and preamp and was wondering what the advantages of this kind of setup are?

as far as i'm aware, the poweramp is what powers the amplifier and makes it loud
and the preamp is what gives it the tone/distortion - am i right in saying this?

what would i be looking for in each of them? eg. whats the difference between having a mesa poweramp and a marshall? for example

also where the hell do the valves/tubes go on them? it just looks like a flat box and amp heads have huge tubes inside them

would i save money by doing this?

any other contributions would be great

thanks v much
Quote by hippieboy444
if its between marshall & mesa...
mesa kicks ass.
otherwise, i cant help you there..

no that was just an example, first names that came to the top of my head lol
thanks anyway
From your posting, I am almost certain you do not need a rack setup at this point. It would be considerably cheaper and easier to just buy a normal amp like most folks.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
From your posting, I am almost certain you do not need a rack setup at this point. It would be considerably cheaper and easier to just buy a normal amp like most folks.

Indeed.

However, I'll offer some poweramp advice:

Marshall and ENGL typically make the most "standard" power-amps. They get the job done, but aren't really amazing in any way really.

Mesa builds some standard power-amps, like the 2:50 and 2:100's. These are going to be pretty standard like the Marshall and ENGL counterparts... However, the Mesa 2:90 is amazing. It runs in Simul-Class, which is an amazing concept, with half the tubes running in class AB, for punch, and the other tubes running in Class A for tonal saturation. Really a class power-amp.

VHT is really interesting, as they build possibly the most "true" valve guitar-poweramp in the business. Some see this as awesome, conveying the true sound of their rig, others see it as sterile.

so yah. Preamps usually have noticeable differences, unlike power-amps.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
bringing this thread back to life so i dont have to make a new thread.

i always wondered about this ever since i seen how Alexi Lahio usually uses JCM's on stage, and a rack set up with a VHT preamp in the studio. Just for shits and giggles, how much do VHT preamps run?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
^ you should start a new one and let this one die, its not like its a supper common question, no need to bump such an old thread.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
well, it really wasnt that big of a deal, nor question, but u have a point.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"