Poll Options
View poll results: what string guage?
8 11%
36 51%
23 33%
.12+
3 4%
Voters: 70.
I've been thinking about getting some thicker guaged strings for my jackson. I play Metal(children of bodom/lamb of god type stuff), what are the advantages of thicker strings
also, what size do you reccomend?
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
by the way, i've only got the standard .09's
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Tone basically...thats it...and its not that important anyway.....all in the playing...unless your a purist.or a geek.

It only affects the tone slightly....with thinner stings just beef up with bass etc..or ....
yeah i've mostly narrowed it to 11's or 10's..i'm goin to get some tonight probably
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by DieKrupps
Tone basically...thats it...and its not that important anyway.....all in the playing...unless your a purist.or a geek.

It only affects the tone slightly....with thinner stings just beef up with bass etc..or ....

tone isn't important?
alright i'll just pull out my yamaha and hope everything sounds awesome
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
It improves the tone no end, and they're better if your tuning low and playing hard...
you dnt have to mess with the truss rod with different gauges, when you're jumping to heavier gauges, i took off the back plate of my scratch plate and tightened the screws which held the bridge in place, so that it wouldn't be as elevated, my neck never bowed. dnt **** with the rod if you don't know what you're doing, you can damage your guitar.
That's what she said
i already f'd with the pickups and that took me 4 hours to get it back right lol..so really i'd rather not adjust my truss rod but yeah..shouldn't need to anyway
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
i always thought that lower strings mean less fret buzz when you down-tune by a few semitones (like drop C tuning)
Quote by electricsnake
I've been thinking about getting some thicker guaged strings for my jackson. I play Metal(children of bodom/lamb of god type stuff), what are the advantages of thicker strings
also, what size do you reccomend?

dude we are into the same stuff, and i use 52-09.
amazing
They make a largely incomprehensible difference to tone (new strings in general will result in a drastic imrpovement in tone but the gague itself makes almost no difference) and make playing subsiquently more difficult as the strings get thicker. Thicker strings also respond better to lower tunings (Can be tuned to lower tunings while maintaining a playable level of tension).
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I use 12's myself, which are damn handy if your downtuning a lot. I just like the meatier feel to them. (I play metal as well)
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
bought some .011's, should be pretty good. But, they're "jazz rock" dmarzio's, will they still sound good?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Get some DR Pure Blues strings. They are awesome, and the only kind I use.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
I have the Zakk Wylde set on my EC-1000. Makes the guitar sound a lot more "heavier" than my SG which has Hybrid Slinkies in it. Also makes it easier to play faster riffs as the strings don't slip as easy from under you fingers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i just tried out a set of strings with high gauge thin strings and low gauge thick strings. i like the low gauge ones because it cuts down on unwanted string noise and the thin ones feel right on the upper frets. Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. give them a try, good for drop tunings.

gauges:

maybe thats what you are looking for, a balance in the middle.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
oh man for playing metal use ernie ball super slinkies custom gage there .09 but there all i use
Thicker strings have better tone. Thinner strings are easier to play. You decide what is more important to you. If you're an amazing guitarist with fingers like trucks (Stevie Ray Vaughan) you can use 13's but play as fast as you can on 9s and then benefit from the brilliant tone. It's a night and day difference.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I just bought some Dunlop Zakk Wylde strings online(my local store ripped me off and sold me jazz rock strings, thick at the bottom and thin at the top..), they look like a great combination for me, they're thick on the low strings and somewhat thin on the thinner strings.
they're 10's but the low E string is a .060.

my "jazz rock" d'addario's: .011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .049, which is still better than my standard .09's but still..i don't wanna have a bright jazz sound.
Dunlop zakk wylde customs: .010, .013, .017, .036, .052, .060 ordered 2 pairs so i hope they sound good, and i hope they get here fast..they didn't have express shipping, so i had to get standard 5 day -.-
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
I like .10s. Find .09s a bit wimpy especially when in Eb. .10s aren't too tricky to bend etc though. It's only worth going heavier if it's either a shorter scale guitar or you downtune a lot.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
yeah my band is doing mostly drop C so these new strings should be sweet once they come
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
i use mostly 10s on everything but my acustic (which has 12s) but im tempted to put 11's on my es 335
My Gear

Gibson ES 335 (1990)
Gibson Les Paul Standard (1986)
Eppiphone acoustic john Lennon J 160 E
Fender Jagstang
Gibson SG
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 tube wats)