Page 1 of 2
I have a few questions to ask:

1. Should I buy a new bass first, or a new amp? (Right now I have the Squire P-Bass and Rumble 15)

2.When I get a new bass (Probably a Fender Standard J-Bass) how much are pickgaurds? Do they put the pickgaurd on at the store or do I do it?

3. What amp should I buy? (I like Funeral for a Friend sound, ect.)

4. What are some fun songs tuned C#G#C#F# ?

This is what I want the bass' pickgaurd to look (somewhat) like:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM02/Content/Fender/PR/Reggie-Hamilton-large.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
fender guitars come with pickguards on them, but most standards (unless they are special edition) come with either white or black. They can be replaced, obviously, by removing the strings, then unscrewing and removing the previous one. To get a different pickguard, check on ebay, warmoth, allparts, etc, and I'm pretty sure music stores like Guitar Center carry them. Depending on the number of plys (layers) and the different colors, they can have a wider variety of prices depending on where you buy from. Just shop around.
It looks like the Standard J-Bass comes with a white pickgaurd.
How much $ do you think it would be? $20-$30?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Ok, first, are you playing in a band or not. If you are, amp first. For pickguards they come with them on but as jsbassboy said in white or black, You can purchanse another one most likely at the store. And for amps you really have to know you budget and try out all the amps iin that range
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Thanks pinkhaze29

Thats a cool site jsbassboy, I'll look around at that site for a while

Edit: I'm not in a band right now, but may be in the future.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
Thanks pinkhaze29

Thats a cool site jsbassboy, I'll look around at that site for a while

Edit: I'm not in a band right now, but may be in the future.

yeah some of the ones are there are pretty cool. Too bad my Fender bass is orange so the white goes best.
Quote by jsbassboy
yeah some of the ones are there are pretty cool. Too bad my Fender bass is orange so the white goes best.

I've never seen an orange bass.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
OK, So can someone answer question 1,3, and 4?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Well I can say this for question one:

A new bass won't make too much of a difference through a bad amp, and a new amp can make your old bass sound better, which will help cover you until you can afford the new bass. Whatever you want though, its your money

About 3, I've never heard of Funeral for a Friend, so I can't help you there.

#4: Aren't there several metal songs tuned like that? I can't think of any titles off my head.
OK, Do you know a good amp thats pretty cheap?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Last edited by zero_123 at Aug 31, 2007,
Quote by Fast_Bear
Go looking around pawn shops and look for used stuff!

Get a BIG amp, something that can be used with a band! Atleast 100Ws can be herd with just a drummer but go for atleast 250Ws!

And no Behringers

no really, they suck

Check out Hartkes, Ashdowns, Ampeg, etc.
Just go to a local music store and play through different ones til you find one that you like and that complements your sound. Also, like Bear said, make sure you have that wattage.
Yeah, I know Behringers suck
Do stores like Samash/Guitar Center sell used gear?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
So how much do you think a good amp would be used if it were originally around $350?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Is Crate a good brand?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
i have a crate acoustic amp for my acoustic bass and my acoustic guitars. its a good amp and im pretty sure Crate stacks about halfway up on the electric quality scale. Good budget amps at least
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
I have a few questions to ask:

1. Should I buy a new bass first, or a new amp? (Right now I have the Squire P-Bass and Rumble 15)

2.When I get a new bass (Probably a Fender Standard J-Bass) how much are pickgaurds? Do they put the pickgaurd on at the store or do I do it?

3. What amp should I buy? (I like Funeral for a Friend sound, ect.)

4. What are some fun songs tuned C#G#C#F# ?

This is what I want the bass' pickgaurd to look (somewhat) like:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM02/Content/Fender/PR/Reggie-Hamilton-large.jpg

Thanks in advance.

1. new amp.

2. not much.

3. Depends on your budget.. lol

4. As i posted in a different thread of yours.. ANYTHING from the 2 system of a down albums "Hypnotize" and "Mezmerize". They're all in Drop C# (aka Drop Db). They're all good songs. Fun and easy to play.
My budget is $300-$400
I have been messing around with some SOAD songs also.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Hmm.. well, i don't think you would be able to get a GOOD amp with GOOD headroom that you'd be able to jam with a drummer that would cost $300-400. I'd be patient and save up some more. Save up about $700-800 and get yourself a 4x10.

Because let's face it. what's the point of upgrading a PRACTICE amp? If you're going to upgrade, get one that you'd be heard over a drummer and at some point some guitars. Check this amp out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

I just got this baby in yesterday. It's LOUD. i used to have just a peavey 75w 1x12 and i couldn't hear myself over a drummer and guitar/vocals. i can get so many awesome tones out of it. And the price is the best there is for the quality. The picture on musicians friend doesn't live up to what this thing looks like in real life. it looks amazing. Ashdown is known for their awesome amps and cabinets.
My total cost for the bass/amp would be over $1000 though.
It would take me well over 3 years to save up that much.
old enough for a job! go out and make some money! you'll have $1000 in no time, trust me. like a month or 2.
Quote by zero_123

i have the 50 watt version, it sounds good and plays over drums so im sure the 100watt would be loud enough

You could get that amp and save some money instead of getting a new bass and just get new pickups and a new pickguard for your current bass (thats what I would do anyway)
Quote by zero_123
I'm not old enough for one, and I also have school anyways.

that sucks
Quote by properBo
Does anyone have anything to say about Cube amps? Especially this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-100-Bass-Amp?sku=480198

And could I just unscrew a pickguard and either spraypaint it or leave it off? Whats underneath it?

well what can i say, Fits on tiny stages while it cranks out HUGE farting sound!

i have that amp, turn it past half way and it distorts like crazy, there are better, louder amps in that price range
It's ok not the digital stuff tho. I have a trace elliot and it's amazing
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
underneath the pickguard should be all the electronics and stuff so i wouldn't suggest leaving it off. even if you think it looks cool that will let dust and stuff get in there.

here's 180 watts for 299.99 and i stand behind this amp with my honor. great sound and loud!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I love Ashdown Amps.

An amp will affect your sounds FAR more than a bass could ever do. Plus, if you start getting into shows, and playing with other musicians, you'll be glad to haul around a big amp, versus your 15watt rumble.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Page 1 of 2