which would you prefer? i need more opinions to help me decide on my next bass purchase.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
power jazz? you mean American series jazz? thats the next one up from the standard, not including Signature models of course.
The main advantage of the Power Jazz is the Power bridge. What that does is provide a somewhat acoustic tone in addition to the other Jazz bass tones. Unless you want an electric bass that sounds a lot like a plugged in acoustic as well as a normal Jazz, it's not really worth getting. However, if that's exactly what you want, there aren't many other options at that price range.

I.E. The Power Jazz is the Fender equivalent of a Stingray w/ piezo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The main advantage of the Power Jazz is the Power bridge. What that does is provide a somewhat acoustic tone in addition to the other Jazz bass tones. Unless you want an electric bass that sounds a lot like a plugged in acoustic as well as a normal Jazz, it's not really worth getting. However, if that's exactly what you want, there aren't many other options at that price range.

I.E. The Power Jazz is the Fender equivalent of a Stingray w/ piezo.

ah thanks. I'd never even heard of those before. I guess you learn something every day
Quote by jsbassboy
ah thanks. I'd never even heard of those before. I guess you learn something every day

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0136400

There's the link. It's passive, and I think the piezo is too. It's been out for a couple years, but I think any opportunity to own a Jazz bass in 2-tone sunburst is a good one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0136400

There's the link. It's passive, and I think the piezo is too. It's been out for a couple years, but I think any opportunity to own a Jazz bass in 2-tone sunburst is a good one.

Interesting. Does the piezo go well with the jazz bass electronics package?

I've seriously never seen this anywhere, even in music stores and such. Not a very popular model either, huh?
No, not popular, as is the piezo option on a Stingray. You do get a lot of noobs on here saying "I WANNA STINGRAY AND I WANT IT IN GOLD AND I WANT THE PIEZO AND I WANT A HORSIE" but really, you don't see them.

I've always believed that all piezo pickups pretty much sound the same, solidbody or no. The difference between solidbody and acoustic is how the note sustains. On electric, the envolope tends to 'thud out' much quicker, but the actual sustain lasts longer. On acoustic, you get a nice blossomy envolope, but it will go silent faster. Watch some recent Who videos; Townshend has the power bridge on his guitars and constantly switches between the two sounds.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah I guess other than times like in Townshend's case where you can utilize acoustic-electric tones, its really not worth the upgrade...
It's not an upgrade at all; it's more of a side-grade. Your Jazz tone won't be better or worse, but you do have a new tone to mess around with.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
It's not an upgrade at all; it's more of a side-grade. Your Jazz tone won't be better or worse, but you do have a new tone to mess around with.

side-grade - you should coin that term

yeah just like effects pedals - they don't make you better or your instrument better, but they give you new sounds and new ways to fake that you're good
Quote by jsbassboy
side-grade - you should coin that term

yeah just like effects pedals - they don't make you better or your instrument better, but they give you new sounds and new ways to fake that you're good

Will do - another Fitzism.

Anyway, I forgot to mention: if you don't have much experience with piezo pickups, keep in mind they tend to be very, very trebly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Will do - another Fitzism.

Anyway, I forgot to mention: if you don't have much experience with piezo pickups, keep in mind they tend to be very, very trebly.

Yeah I dont plan on getting them anytime soon. I might consider them in the future, but I don't really see them as a necessity, only a side-grade