The Epiphone Valve Junior amp seems to get no end of praise on UG. As it is, I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have recently bought a jcm 900 4501, but I can't really crank it when I'm at home.

So, i was thinking of getting a small tube amp that I could crank (more) for practice at home.

So, with the Valve Jr., I think I would buy the head version, and build myself a 1x12 cab, and maybe do some modding to the VJ for master volume, and other little things.

So the questions are:

What does UG think of the VJ as a secondary amp?
What would be a good speaker to couple with the VJ in a 1x12?
I am thinking of a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. Does it sound good with the VJ?

Thanks, Sendrith
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Maybe I don't want an attenuator? Maybe I want answers to the questions I asked?
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
maybe i was trying to help you? maybe i was trying to save you from getting an amp that sounds ****ty without modding?
Quote by Sendrith
The Epiphone Valve Junior amp seems to get no end of praise on UG. As it is, I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have recently bought a jcm 900 4501, but I can't really crank it when I'm at home.

So, i was thinking of getting a small tube amp that I could crank (more) for practice at home.

So, with the Valve Jr., I think I would buy the head version, and build myself a 1x12 cab, and maybe do some modding to the VJ for master volume, and other little things.

So the questions are:

What does UG think of the VJ as a secondary amp?
What would be a good speaker to couple with the VJ in a 1x12?
I am thinking of a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. Does it sound good with the VJ?

Thanks, Sendrith

?? So if i already think I'll be modding it...
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Cranking the valve junior is actually pretty loud and you could probably get good tones with the marshall at the same volume so id spend the money on an OD or something to boost the jcm 900.
What kind of music do you play? I love mine to death! There are loads of mods you can do and most are fairly easy to do

For a speaker I use a Vintage 30 with mine and to be honest its kind of meh... I tried it with my friends cab with a greenback and liked a lot more.
^^ a very solid suggestion

Now the other reason. My parents are split up and I live with each, week on/week off.

This marshall is heavy to carry...

^ I play rock, classic metal (nothing really high-gain, iron maiden, etc).
I was actually thinking of a greenback because of the low wattage and early breakup. Seems like it could be a good idea.
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
i feel like i always recommend this, but email ted weber from www.tedweber.com tell him the amp, sound your looking for, and anything else you want to know. he will respond quickley with a speaker recommendation. i think ECistheBest is getting one,so pm him for more info
^ alright thanks
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by s.r.v.
i feel like i always recommend this, but email ted weber from www.tedweber.com tell him the amp, sound your looking for, and anything else you want to know. he will respond quickley with a speaker recommendation. i think ECistheBest is getting one,so pm him for more info

Oh yeah i know what you mean, i have an orange head that i keep at home and a valve junior that i keep at church cause im too lazy to transport the orange and i want to keep it at home unless im gigging. I have a squier strat rebuilt with cheap GFS pickups and it sounds really good with the valve junior.
I prefer a smaller amp to an attenuator, too, for home practice.

I'd sugest the Crate V8 combo over the Epi VJ head. It's the same all tube 5W, but already features a tone and master volume pot, and has a decent 10" speaker in it. Great tone and higher gain, too. If you already had a cab, the Epi would be a good choice, but still not necessarily better than the V8. Without a cab on hand, the V8's a much better choice, IMHO.

And all these little guys take pedals wonderfully. You'll love the J&H with either of them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
anyone know of somewhere to get crate palomino's in the UK? or a website that delivers to the UK?