To work 20 hours a week?

Im thinking about getting a job soon

theyd pay me $6-$8 an hour...

and i figured if i worked 20 hrs a week for like... a year...

id have like $7200 or so...

minus taxes blah blah blah

$6000+
(im 15 currently... that seems like alot... i could buy any guitar i wanted!)

but, am i just dreaming, being able to work 20 hrs a week?

is it harder to pull off then it sounds?
Gibson Zoot Suit in Rainbow
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

Where are the ladies, man?
if you're willing to work weekends then you should have no problem logging at least 20 hours a week...but you'd also have little to no social life outside of school so it's your choice
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
yeah... you being 15 and probably still in school, be prepared to have less of a life than you have now...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
With school. Probly not. And if you want to have a life. Definently not. So no, you will not be able to.
That's nothing, it'll be fine. I would work 20-25 this summer and never made nearly enough (NY minimum wage: $7.15) but the work was never too much.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
its funny how that money will just kinda disappear.... Then you'll be stuck w/ a knock off strat and a Schecter w/ a huge ****ing ding in the body...
Quote by quincy514
Dave Matthews Band. I guess they're talented, but I find that every one of their fans seems to be a big tool with a popped collar and backwards Polo hat.

YES!!!
dude your math is way off, best case scenario is 8 times 20, 160 a week, times about 50 weeks in a year, that's only 800 dollars. But you could get a nice guitar yes.

and you could pull it off if you have a decent schedule
Last edited by indiebass21 at Aug 31, 2007,
Quote by masterk1818
i go to school and work and i have a social life.........im the coolest kid ever

Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
im 15 and i work a 31 hr work week over the summer at 10.59/hr (not a lie)...thats one hour below full time (which is illegal in my state). you can handle it
50 X 160 = 800?

would you like to retract that statement?
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I worked 40 hours a week this summer monday-friday. With school and all I think you'd have no problem getting 20 hours though, for 40 I worked 8 hours a day and no weekends so I wouldn't worry about the social life either, unless you work weekends.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
Quote by indiebass21
dude your math is way off, best case scenario is 8 times 20, 160 a week, times about 50 weeks in a year, that's only 800 dollars. But you could get a nice guitar yes.

your the one that is way off, 160 times 50 is like 8000 dollars dude

We're coming back, coming back
We'll live forever, live forever
Let's have wedding, have a wedding
Let's start the killing, start the killing

20 hours a week should be easy ****... if you get out of school around 3ish and work 5 hours at a time... and if you have your weekends thats when all the stuff happens anyway.

I'd say go for it but you're definitely not gonna have the will power to keep your money, I wouldn't at least.
I'm Tyler
Quote by RageAgainst...
50 X 160 = 800?

would you like to retract that statement?

+1

TS if youre at school you should only be work about 15 hours max i would say which is still a fair whack of money, any more your performance at school and social life will start to suffer
Well think about it this way; 20 hours a week, the most logical amount to get the minimum of that 20 hours to me would probly be 5 hour shifts 4 times a week. Or 4 hour shifts 5 times a week, either way you should still have plenty of free time for socializing or to do whatever, unless you go to one of those crazy schools that get out at like 5 or so.

20 hours shouldn't be really that hard, depends on what job you have though too. A crappy job would make the 20 hours feel horrible and last a whole lot longer than it seems
Well, the place i was referring to was a subway, where they said they'd pay me $8 an hour if i was good, and... while subway might suck working there.

Theres this hott girl there, and she totally digs me, she like, is all over me whenever im in there.

so uh...

cant be that bad.
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

yea you can work at 15, just your not going to work 20 hours, your gonna work less, and also not alot of places hire 15 year olds, cause they can't drive yet.
well i work at arby's at the moment...not a great job but my first so whatever, and im working about 20 hours a week, if you're working fast food, you'll be losing a lot of shifts near winter time like after Christmas and stuff, that's what happens here.
Originally posted by slash_cobain
when the refrigerater tells u to kill stuff and then u do it and noone believes that the refrigerater would say such a thing and while all this is going on, the frige, sitting innocently in the corner, starts making anti semitic remarks
Quote by indiebass21

160 X 50 is 8000 dollars a year

you did 160 X 5
well, its like .5 miles away from my house.

and i run cross country.

so...

i think i could make it there.
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

Quote by eltyr18
yea you can work at 15, just your not going to work 20 hours, your gonna work less, and also not alot of places hire 15 year olds, cause they can't drive yet.

Its not that they don't hire because you can't drive, they don't hire because a lot of the stuff they use (like toaster ovens and stuff) their insurance won't cover if the person working is under 16, or they just think 16 and under are incompitent.
Gear:
ESP LTD F-50
Silvertone strat knock off (not quite sure)
Silvertone 15 watt practice amp
Quote by masterk1818
i go to school and work and i have a social life.........im the coolest kid ever

Yea, i clocked in 24 hours of work my second week on the job, and still chilled with my buds, talked to the ladies, ate pizza and drank game fuel, and tomorow im gonna buy a cell phone, go to the city and chill there, and mabie go play Bioshock with a friend. and it rocks havin cash!
My Gear:

Umm....

Please donate to Bighall's Gear fund!

Proud Defender of My Faith!
Member of Christan Guitarists!
Lmao. 20 hour weeks are nothing, but with school its enough. summer jobs though its nothing haha i worked 70 hour weeks, 10 hours a day, i had no life for about a good 2 months, but made crazy cash, enough to buy my bike and so on.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
During the summer 20+ hours is easy to get, but during school, I can only manage one shift/week on the weekend, and I still won't have that much of a social life. Great money during the summer though. around 800$ in one month.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
No. In fact, it's still really easy even if you have school. I do 30 hours and i'm a slouch.

just remember to think of the stuff you can do with the money while you're working...like getting yourself to work the next day and that's it. I hate making min. wage...
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
I worked over full time and went to school. it isn't that hard. four hours five times a week? please, I'd die for those hours.

hell, I'd kill for a job right now.
Quote by indiebass21

Your math is way off its actually about $8,000
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Two 5 hour weekday shifts, and one weekend shift gives me 17.5 hours @ $9.20

It's not that hard to work 20 hours in a week, but it can be stressful depending on the job.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I work an average of 27 hours a week. With school. No social life, barely any sleep, school hasn't really started but I can tell it's gonna be difficult.

But yeah.
Don't forget about taxes, that'll take a good chunk out of that 8,000 dollars, but lucky for you since you're under 18, if your parents do your taxes correct, you should see atleast 80-90% of the money they took back in your tax returns... or atleast I did when I was working and was under 18. It's very nice to get that tax return cheque and see a nice amount of 400-500+ dollars.
Equipment:

Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez SA160
B-52 At-100
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
ISP Decimator
I'm trying to work 20 hours a week too. I think that I'll be fine social-life wise, since I already have enough friends and I usually only hang out with them at night anyway.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by indiebass21

man your maths way off. 160 X 50 = 8000 dollars
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack