Hey guys. As most of you know, i've been searching for a new amp for a long time cuz of the fact i own an MG :'(. Basically, i've tried a bunch of amps, and it seems that Peavey, Marshall, and some Mesa products seem to draw me in the most. Recently (while helping a friend out with stuff on a different regional craigslist), i decided to look at my area for some stuff. and two things i came across were

1. Peavey XXX Head- Good condition, one of the volume knobs popped off during movement (seller has the knob, says it's a simple fix but he hasn't gotten around to it yet). Price: $500 (seller also has a beat up Randall cab, still in working condition for like 50 bucks, so i figured that would be a full setup for now)

2. Marshall JMP1 Preamp - Good condition. Price: $375

First: i've played the XXX before, and love it (it's like a gainier version of the JSX, and that definitely pleases me!). The only thing i'm concerned about it is the fact it' 120 watts, all tube power, and i'm not sure i need that much power right now (even though i intend to form a band and play some shows this year....not huge ones, but basically what a band of high school kids would do). Do you think it would be wise to purchase the head and cab, then buy a Hotplate to cap the volume when i'm practicing at home? or should i just try to find a used XXX combo, and call it a day.

Second: now, i've never really messed around with a dedicated preamp/power amp thing before, but i know Stef Carpenter (deftones) and Corey Bealieu (trivium) rely on the JMP1 for their tones. I love Stef's grind (even when they used to do 6 string songs), and the lead tones from "Ascendancy" were really sick (even the new stuff Corey plays sounds great). So, i would be willing to get one, but i've never played it so here are some things i want to know: 1. From personal experiance, is the JMP1 a solid preamp to use (as far as sound quality, tone, versatility etc.). 2. What would be a good power amp to go with it? 3. Do any of you guys use one??? I'm curious.

And the final question: Which one would suit my style better?? For those of you who don't know, i play a lot of stuff, ranging from some blues to rock, and everything in between; From ZZ Top to Primus to Van Halen to As I Lay Dying to Shadows Fall to Pantera to Underoath to Children of Bodom to Velvet Revolver. I'd really like some opinions on what i should go with (still not sure if my parents would let me get either amp, but still, if i got some opinions, and the time came, i'd feel better about it).

Thanks a bunch in advance,
RG_FANMAN
A lot of heavy metal players use the JMP1 when touring.

I know that KK Downing of Judas Priest, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden use them. Very veratile pre-amp.

Problem is that you have to buy a separate power amp and cab.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Don't buy the first thing you see on CL, but start following it like a mental patient. That's what I do. I refresh it a dozen times a day. Some great deals crop up, as well as some people looking for way more than their stuff is worth (like when I put something up for sale, ).

Are you really Hoffa's neighbor? If so, your CL is rich with new deals daily. A little patience will land you a great amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
jmp, industry standard - i.e cant go wrong

i like em - no peavey for me, brittle, modern and only modern and quite fizzy
Quote by slatsmania
Don't buy the first thing you see on CL, but start following it like a mental patient. That's what I do. I refresh it a dozen times a day. Some great deals crop up, as well as some people looking for way more than their stuff is worth (like when I put something up for sale, ).

Are you really Hoffa's neighbor? If so, your CL is rich with new deals daily. A little patience will land you a great amp.

Yea, i've been checking daily, and they're still there, plus they're the best deals (or so it seems). but i'll keep an eye out for a while yet.