Well, I've read many descriptions on how to do it...And they don't work..and many are different..so can someone specifically explain how to do them
try moving your right hand to a diferent area on the string your trying to make squeel when you pick it works for me
I usually put my finger right under the last fret...But it just doesn't sound like a pinch harmonic it...I still think I'm doing it wrong.
i can get them very very rarely. i think a lot has to do with how you hold the pick and the motion you use. in my understanding, you supposed to pick the string and quickly brush it with your picking thumb to deaden the string so that only the harmonic sounds. the biggest thing ive noticed is not to mute the string with your thumb which is what im guessing ur doing since thats what i do 99% of the time lol.
For your fretting hand, all you're doing is touching the string on certain sweetspots on your fretboard. For our case, just put it on the 7th fret on the D string.
Then for your picking hand, hold the pick so that when you pick the string, you will be able to touch the string with your thumb RIGHT after to get a normal harmonic effect. And you're not really pinching the string as the name might imply (which is what confused me at first). But the tricky part here is to pick the string at a certain sweet spot too. So you'll have to experiment with where to pick.
on my SG, the best sweet spot is on the neck pickup
if you have a humbucker in your neck, try this
9th fret, G string
do the above mentioned pick/brush method, RIGHT above the lower half of the pickup
ill try to make a picture
the neck is << that way
_ _
o -
o -
o - HIT RIGHT ABOVE THIS PART OF THE PICKUP
o -
o -
o -
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
See what I've been doing is ... sounding the string then putting my middle finger under the 23rd fret (last fret) and it made a sound but thats not right ...
It just takes time man. I know it took me awhile to get it down and sometimes I still screw it up. Best of luck though hopefully someone can help you better than I could. lol
Quote by burndttoast
For your fretting hand, all you're doing is touching the string on certain sweetspots on your fretboard. For our case, just put it on the 7th fret on the D string.
Then for your picking hand, hold the pick so that when you pick the string, you will be able to touch the string with your thumb RIGHT after to get a normal harmonic effect. And you're not really pinching the string as the name might imply (which is what confused me at first). But the tricky part here is to pick the string at a certain sweet spot too. So you'll have to experiment with where to pick.

Yes, no, maybe, kind of.

You can pinch any note anywhere on the fretboard. Some just sound better. You don't even have to fret anything, you can pinch open strings.
Pinching is done by holding the pick and striking the strings in such a manner as the thumb mutes the fundamental note (the normal sound of the string being struck) and leaves only the harmonic note. Generally the harmonics are a good degree higher in pitch. Best played through a single humbucker in the bridge location with a ton of distortion.

Takes a while. I've found that if I hold the pick the right way, it's kind of hard not to. You'll want more of a plucking motion than a strum, really. Just scoop it hard and let your thumb be in the way of the string vibrating. It's easier to tell if you're doing it right on the higher strings at first because it'll almost completely mute the string if your technique is right and you're just not hitting a sweet spot. Work your way back and forth between the neck and the bridge to find sweet spots.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Hmmm okay that helped what's the humbucker that you're talking about...And god, I do awesome pinch harmonics by accident...I can't do it on purpose of course.
Er, I mean by using just one humbucker. Or one pickup in general.
When using two they kind of mud it up.
What sort of guitar are you trying this on?

Pinch harmonics are almost entirely a pick-hand technique... if you mute the strings with your left hand (finger muting) over certain spots you get natural harmonics... Which are the basis of why pinch harmonics work.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Squier Strat D< I hate this thing...but its all I got
When playing, choke up on your pick so that it's close to your thumb. pick the fretted string and pop the harmonic by hitting the string with your thumb simultaneously in one smooth motion.

It helps to have searing distortion and your amp set on high treble obviously, though once you get the hang of it you can do it with any setup. For example, i use gibson classic '57s and low overdrive.
Quote by Darc

I think if you have the toggle set all the way to the right it's just the bridge coil, but I'm not sure.
Turn your volume all the way up on the guitar. Turn your pre-amp gain or just gain on the amp to the maximum, and set your volume or post amp gain at the desired level. if there's a clean or drive setting, set it to drive/boost/od/whatever.

Take your pick and strike the string, and then use your middle finger to tap the string between the pickups somewhere. Keep trying till it gives you a squealing noise. Then strike the string in that spot and use your thumb to brush the string rather than your finger to tap it.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
get a dunlop jazz 3 pick. red or black doesnt matter. they make pinch harmonics so easily for some reason.
Quote by Darc

i've got a squier strat, and pinches arn't that difficult if you know where to strike it.

what i found was roughly guess 12 intervals of equal distance between the middle pickup and the neck pickup, and each interval corresponds to a different fret. a harmonic on the first fret can be done by pinching just over the neck pickup, and a 12th fret harmonic can be done by striking in the same position or just over the middle pickup. its difficult on the lower strings on a squier strat but its not impossible
Quote by Swat Man
get a dunlop jazz 3 pick. red or black doesnt matter. they make pinch harmonics so easily for some reason.

I was about to post that. I find that using different picks and sometimes different guitars you'll get either a really good pinch harmonic or nothing. Regular dunlop picks on my squier bullet don't work that good but with the Jazz III it's suddenly easier and the sound comes through good, then on another guitar it will sound even better with said pick.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab