Okay... so I have a Jackson RR3... and will soon be putting EMG 85/81's in it, so that's taken care of.

The thing is, until mid next year, I will have to deal with my Marshall MGHDFX100 (I know, I know... it sucks.)

So my question is how would I go about getting the best "heavy" metal sound with that guitar and amp, and still be able to perform at relatively loud levels?
What pedals? effects, etc.

If you need to know what I mean when I say "heavy"... think the tone of Wintersun, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity... that's basically the kind of tone I'm going for.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
1. I have completely no money as of right now due to the fact that I do not currently have a job. Which I am currently trying to get one... a job...

2. I would get no more than $300 for it... $400 tops, if I'm lucky.

3. $300 wouldn't get me a Peavey JSX.

Thanks
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
well, a new amp is better than putting any $300 of effects into the mg. i dunno, keep saving. i know it sucks... but the when the time comes, it's sweet.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The best way I can suggest is use the clean channel only and a distortion pedal. The amp tends to be buzzy but you may be able to tame it somewhat using the amps tone and hopefully you can get a distortion pedal with built-in eq (tone, mid, bass.) Start by turning all the knobs (tone, mid, bass) on the amp to 12 o'clock and use the pedal's eq. Work from there. A little reverb would smooth it out some, maybe a Holy Grail Reverb pedal. As you get louder on the amp you may have to progressively back off the bass and mids. Good luck. Hope this helps.