Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong board, I was unsure where to stick it. Anywho, I got a bad case of writers block. Me and my best friend play guitar together every weekend and we have been for about half a year now. He is into a lot of punk rock and I'm into alternative and metal (I know these don't mix). Well, I listen to a lot of punk and he listens to my stuff, we just like those genres the best. So whenever we hang out we either finish writing a song or start a new one. Here is my problem: I have been playing 2 years longer than he has, but all of my ideas are very similar. I usually write something slow and clean or acoustic, fade into distortion, and play a similar riff but faster and more metal sounding. Yeah it sounds cool and all, but its all the same after while. All of my friends stuff is faster, simplier, and upbeat. Anybody know how I can keep my playing style but add more variety and uniquness to my songs? Thanks.
this fits more in the musicians talk forum...

But to give some advise anyway...
You should try learning songs from different genres and like not just learn but study the songs, how they're made and stuff...
Then you can incorporate those techniques into your songs for variations.

Like you need to sorta go outside you alternative and metal box for inspiration, listen to progressive, funk and other genres of music too. Study the bands and what you learn from them, you can use it in you music and add variation to it.

Then you your knowledge and experiment, mess around with different styles of playing. Play the same riff in different positions, alter the chords a bit, use A7 instead of A5, or something like that.. Just keeping trying out all those little things to add variation to your songs and create your own unique style...