ive been playin acoustic guitar for three months and i was wonderin if its normal to get a lot of dead skin and blue fingertips, just making sure.
ya spessialy on a steel strung acoustic.

idk about blue finger tips mine are just white all my 4 fingers and dead scabby fun to play with
Dead skin is normal, but blue is not normal. Do you have circulation problems in your fingers? Sometimes diabetics have circulation problems that could cause that, otherwise you're sweat is removing some element (cobalt?) from the string alloy. What kind of strings do you use? I get black finger tips when using new strings that have an oxide layer on them for a couple of days until they are broken in.
Dead Skin -> Yes
Blue Skin -> Freak

Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I was thinking about this and it struck me. Bronze, which is what the low E, A, and D are wound with are made with copper. Your sweat is leaching copper out of your strings. Solutions are to live with it, or get heavy gauge stainless strings. Since it's an acoustic, the "ring" of a bronze string can't be beat. I'd live with it, and if anyone notices, look at your finger tips and scream "my fingers are dying".
Quote by 3holepunch
Dead Skin -> Yes
Blue Skin -> Freak

lmao thats what every1 says... well its not entirely blue, just around the dead skin. and it only happens when i play a lot

and im not diabetic or anythin, im using 13 guage, im guessin the higher the gauge the less circulation ull get...sorry if i mislead u to thinkin my whole finger tip was blue, thats sumthing i would take to my doctor

and its pretty much only on my index finger, sumtimes a little on middele
Last edited by Jstn455 at Sep 1, 2007,
not only are callouses normal they are a good thing. they make it so that you don't feel the strings cutting into your fingers, which can hurt like a mother when you are just starting to play.

The blue isn't normal, and i'm not a doctor so i dunno what it is.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
GotRock's got it!

It's the copper in the strings reacting with your sweat/oils and just colouring the skin.

Don't worry bout it, just wash it off...or play the dead finger thing either way
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
yea im not worried about it anymore, they were new strings and it doesnt happen anymore
The blue is just the dirt and oils on the strings rubbing off on you. Make sure you wash your hands and let them dry, and also wipe down your strings before and after ever use.

You are all good. The calluses with start to look normal pretty soon.
epic7734
Quote by GotRock?
I was thinking about this and it struck me. Bronze, which is what the low E, A, and D are wound with are made with copper. Your sweat is leaching copper out of your strings. Solutions are to live with it, or get heavy gauge stainless strings. Since it's an acoustic, the "ring" of a bronze string can't be beat. I'd live with it, and if anyone notices, look at your finger tips and scream "my fingers are dying".

Winner! Especially on the dying fingers bit. He's almost certainly correct about the copper, so don't worry about it.
Mine weren't blue. They were a bit of a golden/yellow. But yeah, perfectly normal. Me and a buddy of mine(also a guitarist) used to compare dead fingertips to see's whose was most numb

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24