on Scientific American's web site this week:

Perfect Pitch: "You've Either Got It or You Don't"

Is there a gene for perfect pitch? New study sets the stage for finding out
By Nikhil Swaminathan

... "Either you've got it or you don't," says senior report author Jane Gitschier, a professor of medicine and pediatrics at U.C.S.F. She says that data collected from more than 2,000 people aged eight to 70 years old during the study indicates that there is likely a genetic basis to perfect pitch—one she believes is activated by early music training...

complete article is at
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=B3C07B63-E7F2-99DF-3A109F4C3333BCE4&ch
If you're thinking about buying it, don't. However, I recommend downloading the full torrent for it. I started doing it but then got lazy. I think that if you actually do the exercises then they will work, but I haven't gotten round to it.
Perfect Pitch is something you're born with - GOOD relative pitch is something you can learn.

Like instead of knowing every note - you know 5 out of the major scale, you can work out the rest from there by ear. Still very useful to have. Some would argue you can learn perfect pitch - who knows?
im apt to believe that you can learn to identify some notes by ear without question (i know this for a fact i myself can spot several notes regardless of the instrument in any octave) and then learn relative pitch to such a degree that you can appear to have perfect pitch. if a C is more than 20 hz off my ears know.
Quote by rockguitar84
If you're thinking about buying it, don't. However, I recommend downloading the full torrent for it. I started doing it but then got lazy. I think that if you actually do the exercises then they will work, but I haven't gotten round to it.

exactly what i did.
i started doing them for a week thought great this is working then stopped lol
maybe il start again...
but anyway yeh rockguitar's right torrents are the way to go...
Quote by rockguitar84

So you recommend stealing it rather than buying it.
nice.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
So you recommend stealing it rather than buying it.
nice.

Thats the age we live in. Better get used to it
Quote by rockguitar84
Thats the age we live in.

I agree, but thats no excuse to steal or promote stealing.

Quote by rockguitar84
Better get used to it

actually, im used to it, I just thought it was funny that you specifically "recommended" stealing it over buying it. THAT truly is a sign of the times.
shred is gaudy music
I agree that it's bs.. before I started ear-training, I had no clue.. but after good practice, anyone can get "perfect" pitch, or relative rather
reading that article, i don't really understand how that experiment proves that perfect pitch can not be learned
^It doesn't - I love how the American media reads the excerpt of a 'study' tells everyone its true, then most actually believe it. Studies take years to prove since the study has to be duplicated by other scientists using their exact method and get the same results. Not only this they have to be void of any logic fallacies concerning proof. Usually a study is nothing more than strong evidence as opposed to proof. The only way you can truly prove something is through a mathematical theorem.

BTW, your avatar is scary as hell.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Actually we're all born with pitch sensitivities in the ear that would allow perfect recognition, but most of the sensitivity fades before we are two years old in most people, which is ironic, as the brains processing of pitch only starts to mature at this time.

People with perfect pitch are most likely those that retain a greater degree of this sensitivity than others. Once the levels of natural sensitivity drop though, it is impossible for them to reach that level again.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
bull...
im taking vocal lessons(b4 i had like awful pitch ) but now im acctually on the note so its just the amount of practice and natural talent.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
It's true. You either have perfect pitch or you don't. No product, no matter how good (In this day and age anyway) can give someone without it perfect pitch. Those with perfect pitch never have to truly 'train' their ears. All they need is recognition at one point of a note, and they will forever more be able to point it out by the sound.

You can, however, get a very good relative pitch. With years of training, you can get to a point that is barely distinguishable from having perfect pitch. And that's where these products come in. Although you can ear train without them, they do make it easier.
Quote by Jbar
It's true. You either have perfect pitch or you don't. No product, no matter how good (In this day and age anyway) can give someone without it perfect pitch. Those with perfect pitch never have to truly 'train' their ears. All they need is recognition at one point of a note, and they will forever more be able to point it out by the sound.

You can, however, get a very good relative pitch. With years of training, you can get to a point that is barely distinguishable from having perfect pitch. And that's where these products come in. Although you can ear train without them, they do make it easier.

Unless you've tried, I mean tried these products, and confirmed for yourself that it's not possible, then don't go start saying this. I haven't seen anything saying that you have, and there are loads of people who say that they have developed great sense of pitch within a week.

I'm not saying I believe it, and I'm not saying that I don't. But for crying out loud, don't make threads and say that something like this isn't possible and dismiss it until you've tried it. As someone else said, don't even bother buying it. Go ahead and download it yourself and try it. Practice everything the way that it is said, and then come back here.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)