Hey all. Sometime in the distant future i want to buy a new, reasonably powerful tube amp (something like the fender hot rods for example) but for the moment i want to buy a smaller version, to get familiar with them. I dont realy want to spend over 500 AUD, and yeah, do you guys have any suggestions for smaller tube amps that are still pretty decent? THanks in advance.
What kind of music do you play?

I'm guessing by the Hot Rod refference that you play blues/classic rock or somewhere around those lines. If so, go with an Epiphone Valve Junior, great little amps, surprisingly loud, cheap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Most people would either recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior Head or the Orange Tiny Terror.

I wouldn't know, I've never played with either of them,
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Alex The Red
Most people would either recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior Head or the Orange Tiny Terror.

I wouldn't know, I've never played with either of them,

Tiny Terror would be over his budget, unless Aussies get them really cheap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
sorry I'm not familiar with Aussi currency.

I saw 500 AUD and was thinking 500 USD
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Last edited by Alex The Red at Sep 1, 2007,
ok sweet as. Ill have a look at some of those shortly. I have heard a bit about the epiphone valve junior, but nooby question, what does it mean valve? same as tube :S lol, also, what about the fender champion 600? any other suggestions?
Look into the peavey valveking royal 8 or fender champ, those two are the best mini valve amps.
OKay, thanks for that guys. Had a quick look into a few of them just on the net and they all look pretty up there. Im mainly interested in the epiphone valve junior and the fender champion 600, anyone out there got one of these two monsters? any other opinions/experinces? thanks
I've got an Epiphone Valve Junior. You need to crank it to get any gain out of it but with an OD pedal, Bad Monkey for example, you can get to about Black Sabbath with it. I believe they're rebranded as Grainger, Legacy and Harley Benton. All those amps (except from the Harley Benton) are the exact same including the enclosure, the Harley Benton just has a tone knob and different enclosure added.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by joeymaxx
That harley benton is rediculously cheap, is it any good?

Exactly the same as the VJ but with a tone control. So that is, yeah, brilliant for the price. You can get them off www.thomann.de and they only charge a small amount for shipping. It's the GA5.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
If you want a really tiny amp, go for a Z.Vex Nano head. It's a one watt all tube amp- very cool. Might be more expensive in Australia, but if it's in your price range, give it a look.
^ I think it was Slats who had one of those, and he said it was very hard to get a clean sound out of it, so it was okay for messing round, but not really hugely useful
ok, but now my next question, i have a multi effects pedal (zoom g2.1u) and use it through a solid state amp. Will this multi effects unit get rid of the tube sound? its not what i want :S
i'm not sure what the bypass is like on the zoom pedal, but if you bypass it and use the modulation effects it wouldn't suck all of your tone.

one other thing, if the harley benton is just an epi valve junior with the addition of a tone knob... why do people not just recommend these. i always see evj being recommended (i know in the US the harley benton may not be easily obtained) just seems odd.
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 1, 2007,
true bypass is good, but it doesn't have that lol. the pedal is going to suck the tone of any tube amp
so you can just try it and if it sucks start buying some good single pedals