Anyone play on low tuned/baritone guitars with GFS pickups? I use a Russian Muff for distortion, right now my DiMarzio FRED is not going with my choice in music. I am looking to get a saturated, industrial fuzz out of the muff and my peavey bass amp, but I don't want to lose highs. One of the guitar players I like uses a Dimarzio DLX+ p90. I have looked at guitarfetish...thinking that the Dream 90 in the neck for cleans/synth fx sounds and the Dream 180 for fuzz tones with some clarity. If you listen to "Synthetic" by Spineshank, those are some of the tones I am after. They also look kick-ass for making a retro-futuristic guitar for gigging out. Tell me what you guys think! and thanks for welcoming another to the forums.
Dream 90 for synth sounds? whaaa?
You should check out an Electro-Harmonix Bassballs, since it seems you're into strange tones.
See if you can nab a Epiphone Galaxie of some sort, I hear they're great for garage rock and industrial raw tones. Nice little tube combo, I see them going for around 160 USD.

Anyway, what kind of guitar is this? What kind wood is it made of?
looking like i want to go with a SX SJM with tom/stp from rondomusic.net, then get it refinished in all black with powdercoated black diamond plate pickguard and skull knobs. the bastard child of a jazzmaster. i was thinking of the dream pickups because of thier clarity (supposed) i like the look of this cheap guitar, and i know that amir derakh used the air norton, which i liked, but was too muddy. it is not a terribly hot pickup in and of itself.
http://www.pplaylist.com/user/9949205

check this playlist out for more of the sounds that i like. sounds like good cleans and fuzz pedals, and god knows what flangers/chorus/echo and synth pedals. but not super high gain pickups, more pedal or amp distorions here. does not sound like EMG's were used.
try their new double-rail, it's supposed to be really hot, looks like a dimarzio x2n
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
The Dream 180 sounds like a decent choice... just throwing that out there.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
you should read what CorduroyEW had to say about GFS pickups... GuitarFetish.com doesn't know what they're talking about. read here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10590191
second page.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, you've gotta take their description with a grain of salt.

Going by what users of their pickups have said, there's a lot of happy GFS pickup owners out there.

Have you ever spent hundreds on pickups and not got what you expected? I have. I'm pretty happy with how they sound, but just not what I expected from the description on Seymour Duncan's website.

Granted, when they quote resistance, they're pretty serious about the numbers.

To go that cheap, you're gonna have to compromise on something. This guy is looking for something a bit different, therefore he's not concerned about proper vintage specs and the like. He just wants something that will sound good.
My Music
^"at a low price" i must add at the end.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sounds good means sounds good.

I've got $35 pickups that sound pretty damn good. The finish quality on them is crap... but they sound pretty damn good.

Good is a matter of what you're looking for, anyway.
My Music
^i see waht you mean. yea. if it satisfies you, thats what all matters.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm cheap, so I bought a set of the '60s Repro (No RWRP) pickups to replace the stock ones on my Highway One strat. As much as the guy says they're "vintage" pickups, they're not.

Don't get me wrong, they do sound great! Better than the stock pickups on any strat I've ever played by a long shot. They don't compete with Kinman's stuff, those expensive boutique guys, or the hardcore vintage tone winders, but they've got a pretty growly low end and pretty decent high-end sparkle with my 500K volume pot.

They're not really "vintage" and they don't quite compete with the boutique guys, but they're still great pickups (especially for the price!).

Though I've heard their humbuckers and "overwound" strat sets are ****.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
I think that the power and crunchy rails would be too hot and compressed for what i am after, and i am sure the cleans suck. also, did any of you suggestions take into account the low drop Bb tuning? Im looking for boosted mids and treble, with bass that does not get lost to hold up the low end.
Again, word of mouth suggests their humbucking pickups (rails included) tend to be pretty lame. I suggest you take a look at SeymourDuncan for some quality humbuckers.

However, I'd suggest trying out some pedals to get the sound you're after. A EQ pedal might serve you well.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
I'm not trying to sound like an advertisement, but word of mouth I've heard is very positive about their humbuckers, especially the Lil Killer rails... the Crunchy PAF and Dream 90/180's. I've also seen some people who are very happy with the Loudmouth and the Fat PAF.

With all the positive stuff I've heard... I hear a complaint every once in a while. You guys are making it sound like everything they sell is **** and thats what the public feels... but I disagree.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I'm not trying to sound like an advertisement, but word of mouth I've heard is very positive about their humbuckers, especially the Lil Killer rails... the Crunchy PAF and Dream 90/180's. I've also seen some people who are very happy with the Loudmouth and the Fat PAF.

With all the positive stuff I've heard... I hear a complaint every once in a while. You guys are making it sound like everything they sell is **** and thats what the public feels... but I disagree.

I was under the impression that their single coils were great (though not exactly as vintage as the guy claims), but everything else was rather dull.

If you've heard otherwise, then cool. I'm all for cheap, high-quality stuff.

P.S. Naysayers are always more vocal.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!