Basically i just got a new computer in my basement where all my guitar/drum gear is, and i got a very expensive recording program off of a friend. Now all i need to know is what type of microphone can i get for my computer that would record guitar well? im not too worried about the drums because i have an electric set of drums as well wich can plug into the computer. Thanks for any help.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
hmm, you might need an interface to do anything much, because most mics need either phantom power or a fair bit of gain.
Yea. You'll need an interface. And you can usualy connect them to your PC with midi or a firewire. Firewire is teh winrar.

Also. When you say you wana record guitar is that via an amp?

You can buy a D.I (Direct input) box and put your guitar through that then add overdrive/effects on the software.

Or you can mic up your amp.

Shure 57's are always good for that.

But mics are just like guitars. Its all down to individual preference.
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
I agree. I have a SM-57 going through a behringer mixer into my computer, and it's great. I can also DI my guitar amp in to it, which is equally good.
Yea thinking im just going to mic my amp, just because the program i have probably couldnt duplicate the sounds i would be looking for. What exactly is an interface? what does it do, and how much could i pick one up for ? thanks for the tips
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Last edited by deadmansdiary at Sep 1, 2007,
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=332472&source=froogle

Anything by M-Audio is good! My school uses those and ive never had trouble with them.

Basicaly. If you use any recording equipment directly into your pc's sound card you'll get serious lag before it is process.

E.g If you press a key on a midi keyboard it'l be a second or two before the midi sound will come out of the speakers. The interface speeds the process up.

Also it allows you to control more variables such as gain. You dont want the microphone to be too loud otherwise the sound will 'clip' and become un-naturally distorted and you'll lose sound quality.
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Shure SM-57 is the most versatile mic you can get for the money...

You can't go wrong with the SM 57!!

Its the most popular choice in mics...
If i just plugged a mic directly into my computer, lowered the mic volume, and played just through my amp into my computer would it turn out to be decent sound as long as i had a decent mic? I already have a recording program on my computer where you can change sounds slightly incase theres to much fuzz or distortion.
Your mic is only going to sound as good as its source and it's preamp. So plugging a 100.00 microphone into a mic preamp thats built into the computer, most likely made up of components worth up to 3.00 at the most, using a series of cheap adapters both degrading the signal quality and turning a balanced signal into an unbalanced signal, you can do the math. Your entire signal chain needs to be good, not just the mic.