I'm trying as hard as I can to sit with good posture and have good arm/shoulder placement as to have no tension in my back and shoulders, but either my back or right shoulder will end up tense. I sit in classical position with my left foot elevated and the guitar resting on my left leg by the way.

My main problem is the tense shoulder, as that is what I believe to be limiting my picking speed. Any tips?
I'm trying as hard as I can

LOL. When you try something really hard...tension. Relax.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
One reason might be that your muscles just aren't comfortable with the classical position yet, if you're new to it.
Well, I haven't been able to comfortably sit in the classical position with a classical guitar either. My electric one is giving me less problem.

I suggest you try adjusting the height of your chair/foot stool, that can make things more comfortable and maybe even solve it.

In my case the main problem seems to be that the guitar slides away or tumbles to the left, probably because it's too large/thick for my legs (I'm kinda small, so there's less room for the guitar to be ).

You might be tensed because the guitar is not secure either and you're tensing up as a reaction to it.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
When i first started sitting in the classical position it bothered my back a bit. You might be uncomfortable simply because your body isn't used to sitting in such a manner.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
You could also have a girlfriend massage your shoulders to relieve tension as you play. If you lack in that department, hire somebody.
Quote by fixationdarknes
I'm trying as hard as I can to sit with good posture and have good arm/shoulder placement as to have no tension in my back and shoulders, but either my back or right shoulder will end up tense. I sit in classical position with my left foot elevated and the guitar resting on my left leg by the way.

My main problem is the tense shoulder, as that is what I believe to be limiting my picking speed. Any tips?

Why are you playing in the classical position when playing electric guitar? Do you play classical guitar at all?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Why are you playing in the classical position when playing electric guitar? Do you play classical guitar at all?

Because in normal right-leg guitar position, I find no other way to play than to raise my right shoulder and this causes a lot of tension. In classical position, my right shoulder is dropped and much more relaxed. But as you can tell since I created this thread, I obviously ran into more problems. But as far as posture and sitting position, I think I'm getting that down. Also, when my back gets tired I just stand up and practice and alternate between the two.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Because in normal right-leg guitar position, I find no other way to play than to raise my right shoulder and this causes a lot of tension. In classical position, my right shoulder is dropped and much more relaxed. But as you can tell since I created this thread, I obviously ran into more problems. But as far as posture and sitting position, I think I'm getting that down. Also, when my back gets tired I just stand up and practice and alternate between the two.

how long have you been playing guitar for?
shred is gaudy music
Total time? Probably about 4 years, but only about a year being fully dedicated and serious.

Still, as if a few simple numbers could give you an accurate impression of what my skill level is? And why does it matter?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by fixationdarknes
Total time? Probably about 4 years, but only about a year being fully dedicated and serious.

Still, as if a few simple numbers could give you an accurate impression of what my skill level is? And why does it matter?

I was more interested in your experience level, not skill level. I asked not for the sake of judging you in anyway, but rather as a way to gauge what would be appropriate advice to give you.

If you said you just started, my advice would be to abandon the idea of playing the electric guitar in the classical guitar position, and just play it in the standard way, the way most other people do. The only way I would advise doing what you are talking about is if you have been playing awhile, but came across some sort of medical issue, and and were forced to change to accomodate that.

I dont believe there are any musical benefits to playing the electric guitar in in the classical position. it does seem to give easier access to the higher frets at 1st, but in the long run, those are just as easy to access in standard position. I see no reason to pursue it other than if you have some kind of medical issue, and your doing this as a way of dealing with it.

anyway good luck with it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 3, 2007,
To be honest it's mainly to relieve tension in my right shoulder. In classical position I can drop my shoulder and it makes for much more relaxed playing.

But like I said before, I'm pretty comfortable in classical position now and don't really have any more problems.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I was more interested in your experience level, not skill level. I asked not for the sake of judging you in anyway, but rather as a way to gauge what would be appropriate advice to give you.

If you said you just started, my advice would be to abandon the idea of playing the electric guitar in the classical guitar position, and just play it in the standard way, the way most other people do. The only way I would advise doing what you are talking about is if you have been playing awhile, but came across some sort of medical issue, and and were forced to change to accomodate that.

I dont believe there are any musical benefits to playing the electric guitar in in the classical position. it does seem to give easier access to the higher frets at 1st, but in the long run, those are just as easy to access in standard position. I see no reason to pursue it other than if you have some kind of medical issue, and your doing this as a way of dealing with it.

anyway good luck with it.

would you say the same thing for the steel string guitar. I am confused on the best posture to use,classical or casual.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.