Hey, I'm buying a laptop and have realised that because I want to record with it, I'll need to upgrade the sound card. Could anyone give me an idea of what I should be looking for in a soundcard? I know next to nothing about upgrading computers...

Help?
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
I've been looking at the Creative SoundBlaster 'Audigy 2 ZS Notebook', which seems to be the only laptop soundcard (within a reasonable price range) even slightly geared to musicians. It has ASIO support (which i think should dramatically reduce latency) and will give a much higher quality output (which will also be great for listening to music).
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=10769

If you have a bit more money to spend, there's the E-MU CardBus, which looks great and will have everything you need to get going.
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=13554

If anyone has any more information about either of these, I'd like to find out more as well, since im looking for a new laptop soundcard.
You don't need the laptops internal sound card for recording. You use an audio interface which is basically a soundcard made for recording.

Don't bother bout you laptops internal soundcard. You can even get a very basic soundcard. You actually don't even need the internal soundcard.

Just get a good audio interface for your recordings. Something from M-Audio should do well for you.
Thanks all. I'll look into M-Audio. You're an Admin of S.E.E.S...you must know a thing or two about this sort of thing.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

Well, i consider myself a half-descent sound-engineer/producer but don't completely count on me!!

There're some guys here who probably have more knowledge than i do...
Though i've got good enough knowledge too...

M-Audio is my personal preference. Its not like they're the best. I like them cuz they have a good reputation in the industry and are compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered. You can't really go wrong with M-Audio...
Fair play. Is there anything you could recommend me? Just a basic piece of gear that I won't regret buying...I'm just getting into recording so I'm pretty much walking blind.
Quote by bjoern_swe

whats your budget???

The M-Audio FireWire 410 is one of the best interfaces you can get.... but its slightly pricey too...

If you're low on budget you can get the M-Audio FireWire Solo...
Well my budget was going to be <£200 so that works out well. Thanks very much for you're help.
Quote by bjoern_swe

You're being relatively vague by saying you need a soundcard for a laptop to record with. What are you recording? Theres a million different options out there, for multiple channels, some with built in microphone preamps or instrument preamps. Theres a lot of options out there you really need to narrow it down.

1) Whats the source you want to capture? (Voice, Guitar, Drums, an Orchestra?)
2) How many of these sources do you need to capture simotaniously?
3) Is this an acoustic source, or an electric source you are capturing?
4) So you've captured these sources, how do you plan on using them/manipulating them?

Thats a jidts of what you need to ask yourself.
Quote by af_the_fragile
You don't need the laptops internal sound card for recording. You use an audio interface which is basically a soundcard made for recording.

Don't bother bout you laptops internal soundcard. You can even get a very basic soundcard. You actually don't even need the internal soundcard.

Just get a good audio interface for your recordings. Something from M-Audio should do well for you.

+1

just use an interface like the Line6 TonePort
it bypasses the Sound card on your computer for recording.

use headphones instead of the computer speakers because you'll get little-no bass with the little laptop speakers.

Ux1 is good for Dynamic mics as theres no Phantom power on board
UX2 will work just about any type of mic (Condenser and Dynamic) and has more inputs.
If you have a firewire port look into the Mackie interface/docking base setup as it has better preamps and is the same price as the TonePort UX2.

If you are going to upgrade the laptop put 2 to 4GB ram into it and run it with Windows XP, not vista
Vista is the one that eats RAM and the TonePorts don't work on the OS yet.