Page 1 of 2
This probably will be one of my last thread maybe even THE last one, depends on if the prices are not what I'm estimating in the shop...

Hi, so after a month of research and testing out stuff in the shop I think I can narrow the guitars down to some only. They're all Jacksons though, I played the DK2M at the shop as they said it played the same as the KE3 Kelly and I really liked that neck so I'm going with a Jackson I think.

My choices are:
Jackson DK2M
Jackson KE3 Kelly
Jackson SL3 Soloist

I already ordered the KE3 Kelly in the shop with Crimson Swirl finish, rather expensive :s 954 euro. It's gonna get new strings right away, and set up professionally. I know it's like 250 euro more expensive then online but with that kind of support and all I think it's about 100-150 euro more expensive only. Oh and I don't have to buy it, I just ordered it cos they didn't have it in the shop anyway and they're keeping it in the back for a while for me until I decide to buy it or not and then it gets in the showroom.

If I somehow can't get along with the body shape of the KE3 if I test it out then I'm gonna go with the DK2M. Then I have 2 options as well depending on the price of it: Or I take the Snow White look or the Crimson Swirl. I like both, but if I take the standard Snow Wite one then I have some money left and then I can put an Original Floyd Rose on it. I don't think I'll have enough money if I choose the Crimson Swirl but it's possible though. Hard decision :s

The Licensed Floyd Rose can be swapped right?!! That's rather important if I want to upgrade it later on.

ALSO important to note! If the models are not '06 or '07 then I'm not taking them cos I want one with REAL Seymour Duncans.

If I feel like spending a lot of money however then maybe I can get the SL3 Soloist but I'm guessing that one is around €1200 in the shop, I'll see :/

So what do you think of that all?

I've been playing the guitar for around 2.5 years now and I'm neither good neither bad. I didn't practise a lot cos I have a crappy jumpstart of ibanez. But I'm gonna play a lot once I get this new guitar and my new amp around Christmas. So I want a very decent guitar that can do the job for a long while.

And thanks for reading it all through!
Last edited by Chimeray at Sep 1, 2007,
well obviously the soloist is gonna be the best, but i mean if you dont really play, maybe you shouldnt blow that much money on something you hope will happen
No you got it wrong, maybe I explained it bad, sorry. I do play a lot, I just quit a lot on songs I really would like to play cos they're too difficult. I stick to the songs we learn in the music lessons. I started to play a lot now during the vacation, practising on solo's and those songs I would really like to play, and they work pretty well! Now that I got my motivation back, I played a lot until I knew how hard my guitar sucked, my motivation was gone but it's back now you see? I KNOW I'm getting a new guitar, I worked a full month for it damnit! :p

And it's happening already cos I really like playing the guitar, just not on my rig :s
Dude, you should really enjoy playing guitar on any guitar. Obviously get something that you enjoy playing a bit more, but it should still be pleasurable on pretty much anything.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Can you please just tell me about my decision, that's why I made this thread.
Thank you.

And I'm practising right now, learning about harmonics... I do enjoy playing the guitar as I said but I definately need something better cos this guitar is tha crap... I have a hard time believing that any of you would enjoy playing the guitar on something as crappy as this one after 2,5 years. This guitar is way sub par for my skills... But that's not what this thread is about, I did not make this thread so that people could say I don't need to buy another guitar or that I just should enjoy playing on any guitar, so if you would please stop trying to put me on my place, I'm buying a guitar and I would like to know your advice on my thoughts. If I didn't like playing the guitar then I wouldn't want to spend a lot of the money I worked so hard for on it right?...

Anyway... thanks for not going off topic anymore!
Kind regards
I've never been crazy about weird shaped guitars, it always seems like they're more about show/live playing then practicality. I think you should narrow it down to the soloist and the dinky.

The snow white dinky is a really great looking guitar, I think. It has decent reviews on UG so I don't think you'd really regret getting it. The choice between your dinky and your soloist is really a question of budget I think.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
So if I take a DK2M then I'm set for a long while? I mean, my guitar was fine when I started playing, I didn't really saw anything wrong with it but now... ouch :p I don't want to have that effect on the guitar I'm about to buy, my skills aren't fully developed and I don't want to run into any difficulties later on
i've already talked to you on pm about this, but further thoughts:

i wouldn't waste extra money on fancy finishes- at your budget (and IMO), that money would be better spent on a better spec. I doubt you'd have any bother with the kelly shape (it only looks weird, it's actually pretty comfy), problem is (IMO at least) it looks best in the fancy finishes (or at least the flame maple version). All of which means more cash solely for cosmetics.

The dk2m at least looks best in white (again, IMO), so at least you aren't paying extra for a fancy finish. I'm not sure about playing exactly the same as the kelly (i didn't try them head to head), i think they should have the neck profiles on www.jacksonguitars.com if you click on the models, and then specifications. Also, maple fretboard will feel different to rosewood.

From what i hear, that trem is a direct swap, but you probably want a more certain answer than that.

SL3 would be my pick (assuming you can afford it) because it'll be a similar price to the ke3 (or probably even dk2) when you factor in a trem swap, while the sl3 is an all-round nicer guitar, already has the OFR, and is neck-thru (not that neck-thru is necessarily "better" than bolt-on, but i'm not fussed on the jackson bolt-on joint)...

Of course you already knew that. I guess it depends on what the final prices would be (and also how you like the stock jackson trem- i'm not much a fan, if I were buying I'd be considering a trem swap pretty quickly)...

EDIT: the other thing is, depending on what part of belgium you're in, you maybe aren't too far away from some of those big german guitar shops. Koln/Cologne isn't that far away, i think?

EDIT #2: also, if you're really worried about "growing out of it", i'd go with the sl3. The dk2 is, IMO, a "decent" guitar, while the sl3 is a "good" guitar. Certainly into "pro" guitar status (though at the bottom of that kinda level).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 1, 2007,
"Of course you already knew that. I guess it depends on what the final prices would be (and also how you like the stock jackson trem- i'm not much a fan, if I were buying I'd be considering a trem swap pretty quickly)..."

Yeah it pretty much comes down to that But a white DK2M with trem swap would still be around €200 cheaper than an SL3. I estimate the DK2M to be 1000 euro with trem swap and the SL3 to be 1200. Oh, i was looking at the neck :s It's the fingerboard, yeah indeed they're different. Then wtf was that guy saying at the shop damnit But maybe he gave me a DK2, that's possible. I think then it's the rosewood that I liked, but I can still test out that maple!

Maybe I should put things to rest a bit and wait until they (the shop) calls then I can ask prices there and post again
^ yep, possibly. how much was the dk2m again? or is that the one you aren't sure of?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only one I'm sure of is the KE3 with CS paint... €954.
I don't think the other 2 will be so much different of the prices online, probably €100. ('not much' as in... considering what I get in return, the strings+set up+check up)
I think that because the RG 1570 in the shop was €800, and that's nearly the same as online right?

I'll post prices of the SL3 (with and without Transparant Red), DK2M (Snow White and Crimson Swirl) as soon as I get them. Maybe I should ask how much an OFR costs over there as well. I'll try if I can just ask it over the phone. They got a site, but that's just like any other site, the prices are for buying online and not in the showroom... I didn't ask the price back then cos I was only interested in either the RG 1570 or the KE3 Kelly...

Fingers crossed that's it's not too much over budget :p

Thanks for the help y'all!
I'd personally get an RG1570 over a DK2M. An edge pro is an excellent trem meaning you wouldn't need to upgrade to an OFR. Then again, the DK2M pups are better than the 1570 ones. But Id rather have an Edge Pro and V pups than LFR and Duncans. Did you test the Ibanez 1570? Because the neck is really nice and you might prefer it to the Jacksons like I do (+it has a nicer colour IMO)

You can direct swap an OFR to a DK2M so I wouldn't be worried... Athough I doubt you'll get any probs with the shape of the KE3.
Yeah I tried the rg1570 at the shop I didn't like it as much. I've got a ibanez jumpstart now and the guitars are too much alike :s It feels more like an upgrade than a totally new guitar, even the inlays are the same :s And the neck :s dunno... It's like my fingers slipped away from it, can this be? :p Maybe I was biased already cos of the looks :p The Jackson neck on the other hand I liked very much!... guess it all comes down to preference, I can still test it again though

But generally I do believe an RG1570 is a better guitar! That's the kind of quality I'm aiming for...It's just that, I don't know... I don't want that guitar :p
get the soloist if its rly that subpar but im not rly a fan of jackson =\

Originally Posted by .smudged.
cook with semen everybody's doing it

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Quote by PaintOurSilence
If you want to get really sick go to a nearby subway station and lick the walls or maybe a homeless man or two .
Quote by Chimeray
Yeah I tried the rg1570 at the shop I didn't like it as much. I've got a ibanez jumpstart now and the guitars are too much alike :s It feels more like an upgrade than a totally new guitar, even the inlays are the same :s And the neck :s dunno... It's like my fingers slipped away from it, can this be? :p Maybe I was biased already cos of the looks :p The Jackson neck on the other hand I liked very much!... guess it all comes down to preference, I can still test it again though

But generally I do believe an RG1570 is a better guitar! That's the kind of quality I'm aiming for...It's just that, I don't know... I don't want that guitar :p

yeah, i know what you mean. because it's so similar to your old guitar, it'd hardly feel like a new guitar. there's no harm in that. maybe you didn't like the unfinished neck either.

to me, though, the dk2 and ke3 are noticeably not just as nice as a 1570. sl3 is similar quality to the 1570 (different neck, though, and as i said, it's quite fat for a super-strat). So if at all possible, i'd try to somehow get the funds together for that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But how come the SL3 only comes up closely to the RG1570 while it's like €300-400 more expensive? :s???
The DK2M and KE3 are nice guitars but the RG1570 is similarly priced and a better guitar. I don't really no what else Jackson has to offer around the RG1570 price range, but theres nothing wrong with going for a KE3 or DK2M instead of a RG1570 if you would rather have a Jackson over an Ibanez. The RG1570 is a high quality guitar for its price and the neck is v nice and you may grow to like it.

The SL3 on the other hand is also a nice guitar and is a Jackson, although it does come at a high cost.
Quote by Chimeray
But how come the SL3 only comes up closely to the RG1570 while it's like €300-400 more expensive? :s???

well (a) jackson are quite expensive, especially in europe and (b) the sl3 is neck-thru, which adds to the cost. Ibanez neck-thrus charge a hefty premium too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seems like nothing can outdo the RG1570 price/quality like then. I'll definately give it a second chance then, it's got no fancy paintjobs either to get over the 'same guitar effect' though

At what skill level will you start noticing the difference between the DK2M/KE3 and the RG1570? Or are they only small differences, the finishes of the prestige series that is? Where does the difference in quality lay? The tremolo obviously, what else? The pups in the Jackson guitars are better than the ones in the RG 1570 right, or am I mistaken?

Oh and by the way I play hardrock, well that's how I call my style Might not be intierly true. Bands I like: Bullet for my valentine, breaking benjamin, anberlin, my chemical romance, machinae supremacy, papa roach. Things with catchy riffs and cool solo's that kind of things. I like that Asgard: Therion song as well, been practising on it. So that makes my style a kind of harder rock kind of music and a bit metal. These guitars still suit right?
^ yeah, these guitars should be fine. it's mainly your amp at any rate...

hard to say what skill level you'd notice the difference, I'm not really sure. And at the end of the day quite a bit of it is personal preference too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What would be a good budget to spend on the amp then? Gonna do that around Christmas.
Maybe that can change my decision as well... I earned €1500 from my work this month in the holidays. So I want to spend €1000 on my guitar, keep 500 for personal things, but mostly on the bank anyway, money for during the year (or amp if things get really expensive)
I get €500 because I'm turning 18 in December and I want to use that money and money I come by from Christmas to total around €800, might be more or less... for an amp. Will that suffice or not? I mean... You can always tell me, oh no a 2000 euro amp is better, well duh :p I mean... If you got my budget, my guitar, my skills... what would equal eachother out a bit

The actual amp decision comes later though, I'll spare you of that (for now:p) Just the budget I'd like to know.

This thread and PM's to dave have been so helpful for me, it's like the most helpful thing I had response to by far! THANKS a lot! I greatly appreciate it!
Yeah the guitars are fine for hardrock / metal.

The RG1570 obviously has the better trem. I'd probably pick an Edge Pro over an OFR which probably wont be going on the DK2M/KE3. The Prestige neck is also nicer although thats up to you to decide. However with the Ibanez you can get the action very low without getting buzz which doesnt go for the jackson. The Ibanez neck (AANJ) joint is also far superior to the DK2M/KE3 and allows easy access to higher frets.

Basically the Jacksons only have the pickups which hold a small advantage over the rg1570 V pups whilst the Ibanez wins everywhere else... although theres also a lot of personal taste that comes into it.
Yeah the personal taste...
It's a hard decision cos I like those Jackson necks a lot :s And they look nicer in 2 ways: paint +body (either one of the KE3/DK2M imo), and the Jacksons having better pups doesn't make it easier as well.
See... my personal taste brings the thing kinda out of balance while other people who would like the RG 1570 neck more would immediately go for that one.

I'm not a native English speaker but understand English very well, but I didn't quite get this part: "However with the Ibanez you can get the action very low without getting buzz which doesnt go for the jackson."

Do you mean if you play the strings, other strings you don't strike are likely to catch vibrations as well and cause that buzz?
im talking about fret buzz. ie when your strings are closer to the frets they wont buzz against the frets when played.
Isn't that dependant on the string height then? Which you can adjust yourself?

EDIT: I gave everything another thought and slept over it And I think I'm gonna set my thoughts on the DK2M and KE3, I'm gonna fully test those and compare it to the RG 1570 in the shop, I'm seriously going to consider the 1570 though as a second pick if I notice too big differences between the guitars (the neck thing and all that). But if I don't notice anything then I'm better off picking something I REALLy like over something I know is better but find a hard time liking. I don't think I need a super good guitar anyway, a decent guitar I like a lot will do the trick I think. I hope you people somehow agree with me on this?

I'm gonna spend more money on the amp then, like €1000. That enough for the amp?

So if I compare those guitars in the shop what should I really take notice of? The neck joint (upper acces of frets), the tremolo, anything else? (A big difference in these things will likely form my decision so name it people )

Thanks again! Can't say it enough
Last edited by Chimeray at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by Chimeray
What would be a good budget to spend on the amp then? Gonna do that around Christmas.
Maybe that can change my decision as well... I earned €1500 from my work this month in the holidays. So I want to spend €1000 on my guitar, keep 500 for personal things, but mostly on the bank anyway, money for during the year (or amp if things get really expensive)
I get €500 because I'm turning 18 in December and I want to use that money and money I come by from Christmas to total around €800, might be more or less... for an amp. Will that suffice or not? I mean... You can always tell me, oh no a 2000 euro amp is better, well duh :p I mean... If you got my budget, my guitar, my skills... what would equal eachother out a bit

The actual amp decision comes later though, I'll spare you of that (for now:p) Just the budget I'd like to know.

This thread and PM's to dave have been so helpful for me, it's like the most helpful thing I had response to by far! THANKS a lot! I greatly appreciate it!

I guess something similar to the guitar would be sensible... something like an engl screamer would be nice, it's around 1000 euro (footswitch is extra, though, but there is a cheapo 2-button one you could get to tide you over).

if you can't stretch to that, something like a peavey valveking, randall rg50tc, marshall dsl401 or similar may be worth considering.

Fret buzz isn't just a matter of getting the strings low- it's true you can set ibanez strings really low. Then again, lots of people don't need/like super low action anyway.

you're right about the personal preference- if the 1570 doesn't do it for you, it makes no sense to buy it, even if a lot of other people like it.

As for what to look for in the shop: Jenny (jj1565) wrote a good info sticky about that, it's in one of the stickies (probably at the top of the electric guitar forum)- something along the lines of "the ultimate info thread" or something like that.

Basically, check out the trem- make sure it stays in tune when using it, both dives and pull ups (a lot of shops don't have the trem bar on them, if you're considering a purchase, ask them to get it for you, you aren't going to buy without using the trem), check the arm stays where you set it and doesn't work its way loose, check how good "flutter" it has, and check how responsive it is to more subtle vibrato.

check the neck is in tune the whole way up, check there's no fret buzz over all the frets, check the frets aren't sharp etc., check there are no obvious dents, marks (even if they aren't serious, you could use them to get money off), check the neck is in the neck pocket tight, etc. look down the neck to check it's straight etc. check the volume and tone knobs work well and aren't scratchy, ditto for the pickup selector. check it plugged in so there's not much hum etc.

also would be worth asking for a free setup if you buy, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^hey. saw my name, here's the checklist. good luck.

How to try out guitars

Before you select a guitar, there are a few things you need to think over.
-The style of music you play.
-A budget you can live with.
-How long you've been playing. If you've ever owned a guitar before.
We all gravitate towards the guitar that looks the Hawtest, but looks and color, shouldn't be your first concern.
Wood type, bridge type, pickup configuration, guitar weight, brand reputation, and UG member recommendations should all come into play.
You need to have in mind, a few guitars that suit you best, before you even walk into the store.

Walking into The Store:

Wait, you've already blown it! Are you sure you're in the right place? Most of us only have a couple of options.
Ideally you live in an area with large chains, and local shops. Keep in mind that large chains pay their workers with commission. A money driven worker will not be working towards your best interest, no matter how nice he seems. Local shops might be able to offer you a better deal, but they don't carry as large a selection.
It's good to get prices online, some stores will even match competitor's prices, but whenever possible, physically play as many guitars as possible. Keep in mind that in most cases, the recommended list price for a guitar, is about twice its actual selling price.
In addition, when you are trying to get more guitar for the money, It might be worth your time to look into local pawn shops, classified Ads or to check out Ebay. There are some good deals out there, you just need to know where to look.

Take a Friend:

Guitar stores can be overwhelming. When possible, bring a guitar playing friend with you, preferably someone with purchasing experience. You want him to be objective and to run interference for you, if you run into any pushy sales associates.
Start off by finding the models and styles in your price range. If you aren't happy with the choices, at least you'll create a basis for comparison.
If you have a favorite type of pick, make sure you have one in your pocket. You want to feel as comfortable as possible.
There's no reason to call over a sales associate just yet, because you should start off by playing your choices acoustically.

Testing a Guitar:

Once you're certain about the model, you're ready to test some guitars. Don't be afraid to ask for one off the wall. When they don't want one played, they will usually tag it, but it's a good idea to leave the top shelf guitars alone unless they are in your price range. Let the sales staff know you're serious and they will be more willing to work with you on a good deal.
To make things simple, I've made a checklist.
Before playing...
-Sit down in a quiet area and feel the guitars weight. Make sure it's balanced, and suited to your size.
-Move the knobs and switch. Make sure they are tight.
-Go to the input jack, see if it wiggles.
-Lift the guitar to your face. Check the headstock and neck joint for small cracks or chips.
-See if the neck looks straight.
-Shake the guitar. Listen for loose parts.
-Look at the fretboard. Make sure there are no wood imperfections, raised or crooked frets. Make sure the frets don't poke through the side of the board.
Before plugging in....
-Strum and fret each string. You're listening for fret buzz.
Keep in mind, guitars aren't always set up prior to placement on the selling floor.
Sometimes they aren't even tuned. Action and fret buzz are USUALLY adjustable, but the guitar shouldn't buzz and rattle everywhere.
-Check the guitar's harmonics. Compare tones at the 12th. See if the guitar is intonated.
-Make sure the board isn't too wide for you. See if you can reach the higher frets.
-Make sure the bridge saddles are level, with no sharp points.
-Make sure the tuners don't feel loose.
Amp it up...
-Ok, find the pain in the ass sales guy. You'll need a guitar cable, and an amp,
JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU HAVE AT HOME!!!!
Don't Let him plug you into a $1,000 amp. You're testing the guitar not the amp.
-If possible, have a riff ready. If you're tagged as a complete noob, you'll get less respect.
-Use the switch. Select the neck pickup. Select the bridge. Listen for crackling noises.
Roll the knobs and listen for noise. Touch and lift your hand off the bridge, listen for buzzing that stops when you ground it. If you're into Metal, and are looking at a humbucker guitar, expect to hear less noise than if you were testing a single-coil guitar.
-Check the pickups with the amp on clean and with gain.
Questions to Ask...
-Hopefully you already know the wood type of your choice guitar. You need to make sure the salesman knows that you've done your homework.
"Do you have any other Mahogany guitars in this price range, you could recommend?"
-Let the salesman know that you've noticed any imperfections.
"I like this ibanez, but I'm picking up fretbuzz through the amp. Do your guitars come
setup?"
-Spend a while playing the guitar. Look upset even if you like the guitar.
"What can I get this guitar for?" "Does this guitar come with a case?"
You want to walk out of there, with as many free extras as possible. Especially if you've found anything wrong with the guitar. Any minor flaw, might work as a bargaining chip.
- "What's your return policy?"
Final thoughts...
IF YOU LIKE THE GUITAR ON THE SALES FLOOR, TAKE THAT GUITAR, NOT ONE FROM THE STOCKROOM. Unless it's a floor model, you should still get a box for it. You just don't want to take the time to find the perfect guitar, only to end up with a lemon in the end.
Also keep in mind, stores make a lot of money off of purchase insurance. In almost every case, it's not worth it to buy protection on a guitar. Except for the neck, every part is easily replaced. In addition, any flaws would be apparent within the usual 30 day return time frame.

Good Luck, Jenny
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ wtf, do you do searches on your username all the time?

seriously, though, thanks jenny. also, check the upper fret access, you mentioned that already, chimeray, but i forgot to say that you were right, that you should check that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah they said they were checking things + setting the guitar for 'free' actually included in the price but muh :p So I guess they meant by checking things, what you were saying... frets, straight neck... But yeah, I can still check all those things myself. Might make the salesman nervous

I actually meant more along the lines of: what should I be comparing between those guitars so that I can decide to take the better rg1570 or the other ones.
But that advice still comes quite in handy! I didn't really know there could be so many flaws with a new guitar I'll check them all!
Last edited by Chimeray at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by dave
^ wtf, do you do searches on your username all the time?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663369&highlight=dave_mc

^
haha see if u did too, u would have seen this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
OK you post a lot Dave, but didn't know EVERYBODY knows you xD

I saw another guitar... The ibanez RG 2550E, there isn't much of a change between that one and the RG1570 right? Only cosmetics? Anyway, that's gonna be my second pick instead of the RG1570. And I'm gonna be more picky on the Jacksons now cos actually I like the looks of the 2550E way more that the 1570. The only difference is probably the paint and inlays, but muh, got a better feeling for the 2550E than the 1570.
Quote by Chimeray
Yeah they said they were checking things + setting the guitar for 'free' actually included in the price but muh :p So I guess they meant by checking things, what you were saying... frets, straight neck... But yeah, I can still check all those things myself. Might make the salesman nervous

I actually meant more along the lines of: what should I be comparing between those guitars so that I can decide to take the better rg1570 or the other ones.
But that advice still comes quite in handy! I didn't really know there could be so many flaws with a new guitar I'll check them all!

haha, yeah. basically, to see which is better, I just play them. See how smooth the fretboard and frets are to play on, how good the upper fret access is, how comfortable it is to play, etc. Check the trem too, as already stated...

Quote by jj1565

cheers jenny, i'd missed it.

the 2550 is, you guessed it, basically the same thing only with different cosmetics. it has nicer pickups too, though most would agree they aren't just as nice as "real" dimarzios or other quality pickups (though, that is preference too). It's really up to you. I'd prefer the 1570, as with the money you save, you can go with your own choice of pickups- then again, that's probably not entirely fair, as I'm not too fussed on the looks of the 2550/2570 either, I'd actually prefer the 1570...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are as good as 'real' Dimarzios which is what they are except they are exclusive for Ibanez. The Dimarzio website describes them the bridge pup as a a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ and the Super Distortion pickups etc.
Then its just the inlays and the cosmetics really. The price difference is worth it IMO just because of the pickups.

Some say Ibanez are more selective on the materials as the price of the guitar goes up.
Quote by Chimeray
Isn't that dependant on the string height then? Which you can adjust yourself?

No some guitars can have lower action without creating unwanted buzz etc than other guitars.

I think the 2550 is worth the extra cost over the 1570 or any of the other guitars, especially as you're getting the edge pro, neckjoint, low action, prestige quality etc but on top of that you're getting pickups that are at the same level of the EMGs. +the 2550 does look pretty damn nice.

Having said that you should really decide for yourself... you don't want to get a nice new guitar and have any doubts whether you should have got another one or anything.
Yeah well said you all! Thanks a lot! So I'm just gonna go to the shop and yeah, test those guitars I think I got everything covered I wanted to know.

Thanks again! This thread was REALLY helpful!
that's probably not entirely fair, as I'm not too fussed on the looks of the 2550/2570 either, I'd actually prefer the 1570...

The 2570E is actually the same guitar as well? So the 1570, 2550E, 2570E Are all the same guitar only changes in cosmetics + that slightly pickup change which the 2550E and 2570E share? (what does that 'E' mean actually?)
Quote by Breed85
Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are as good as 'real' Dimarzios which is what they are except they are exclusive for Ibanez. The Dimarzio website describes them the bridge pup as a a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ and the Super Distortion pickups etc.
Then its just the inlays and the cosmetics really. The price difference is worth it IMO just because of the pickups.

Some say Ibanez are more selective on the materials as the price of the guitar goes up.

yep, they technically are "real" dimarzios, just i preferred a tone zone/air norton combo in another ibanez, i thought they had better tone when i tried them head to head. Then again, that could just be my preference for those models.

To me, though, it's not worth it, as the extra cash could buy you pickups of your choice. it just depends what you want. if you'd buy similar models of pickups to those already fitted to the 2550/2570, then i guess it maybe is worth the extra outlay.

Quote by Chimeray
The 2570E is actually the same guitar as well? So the 1570, 2550E, 2570E Are all the same guitar only changes in cosmetics + that slightly pickup change which the 2550E and 2570E share? (what does that 'E' mean actually?)

the 2570 doesn't have the pickguard, from what i can tell (while the 2550 does). E, i'm not too sure. It has fancy inlays, it may be that (though that used to be denoted "dx", i thought).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I don't really like pickguards anyway, that's why I'm interested in the RG2570, are they for any use other than protecting your guitar from scratches?
Well as I'm not quite into the looks of the RG1570, I think I might just spend the extra on it, even if the difference is only slightly, it's enough to make the difference for me (inlays + that rough finish). Playing on nearly the exact same neck with same inlays is a big factor for me towards that: it's the same guitar issue.
not really much use in pickguards, no, other than looks. only difference might be that the guitar is routed for the pickups etc. from the front for the pickguard one, while the one without is rear-routed. that shouldn't affect anything, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The wizard neck of the RG2550E is that one made out of 'walnut'? Find that strange...
Page 1 of 2