Do you think it's ok for bedroom levels and playing with a band? or will it be too loud :\
Last edited by Ht666 at Sep 1, 2007,
way, WAY too loud in bedroom. Slightly too loud in band practice. Good at gigs.
it's pretty much the same. the randall is 50w, the peavey (if not mistaken) is 60w. they are pretty much similar.

A 30w tube combo COULD, COULD be played at bedroom levels...but it depends on the individual amp, and how much you can drive it at low powers. It will do great at abnd practice, and it will do pretty okay at small gigs.
so i shouldnt bother with the peavey 5150 60w combo and the randall 50w

and go for a 30w?
30-50w is your range, i guess.

It will be hard playing any of them at bedroom levels though...but you can always get an attenuator to lower the volume, and still be able to drive the tubes (which make the amp sound godly). 50w might not let you drive your amp to its full tube harmonic potential even in band practice...I would go with something 30w. I had a Laney LC-30 about half a year ago and it fulfilled band practice purpose amazingly.
Ok

I play stuff like Trivium, Machine Head and Bullet For My Valentine, what do you suggest?
I have a 5150 and it is easy to play at bedroom levels. all the gain comes from the preamp so you dont have to crank it to get a good distorted tone. You can get a nice tone at low volumes you just might need to turn the gain up a little from your settings for playing loud. and its great in bands and even better at gigs
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Hmm...now that i think of it, i don't know any high gain 30 watters :S

Sorry....

...or at least not in your budget..
Quote by zwound
Hmm...now that i think of it, i don't know any high gain 30 watters :S

Sorry....

...or at least not in your budget..

I'll need to go higher?
for 30w yeah...i havent tried the peavey 5150 personally (but i have tried otehr 50w tube amps)...Syn_harvest said it can take bedroom levels, and i cant argue that...you might need to try it...

you need a really modern sounding amp for your playing...i know a bunch of 30w, but vintage sounding (marshally, etc).
I played the Royal 8 today, and even though it's 5w it could get pretty loud. For home practice that is.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
yeah, but it's a different calibur to 5150 when it comes to insides aswell...you need to play the small tube amps loud to sound good and naturally distorted, but the bigger ones' preamp tube system can be cranked, whilst the overall volume is still low-ish.
Marshal DSL401 should be in your budget... no?

I'll check

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by Ht666
Do you think it's ok for bedroom levels and playing with a band? or will it be too loud :\

sort out your sig!!!! bloody hell

GOAL 1)learn to spell and use html code well
DSL mashall sounds too vintage...like i said.

you coukld try getting a JCM 900. that doesnt sound vintage.
Well actually I have played a 5150 halfstack in a shop.

It can get decent sounds on bedroom levels, not the best, but still pretty good. It will not be WAY too loud for band practice.

For what you play a 5150 is a great choice.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Either way it may be possible to pull some tubes to lower the output..

But if you cant who cares? It's the best amp out there for metal.. If not, one of the best.
Sorry, but everyone here saying that the 5150 can't be used at bedroom levels doesn't know what they're talking about.

Most hi-gain amps today get their gain from the preamp tubes and the 5150 is no exception. You can dial in a good metal tone with the volume at 1 or less on the volume and not be too loud. It WILL sound better turned up louder, but all tube amps do, however you DO NOT need to turn it up to get a decent sound.

I play mine at 1-2 regularly and it sounds better than a lot of other tube amps I've played a low volume levels.

For playing with a band it's perfect, you should be able to be heard over everyone at about 4, which is right about when power tube saturation start to kick in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 1, 2007,
Any amp can be played at bedroom levels, it just might not sound absolutely euphoric.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sorry, but everyone here saying that the 5150 can't be used at bedroom levels doesn't know what they're talking about.

Most hi-gain amps today get their gain from the preamp tubes and the 5150 is no exception. You can dial in a good metal tone with the volume at 1 or less on the volume and not be too loud. It WILL sound better turned up louder, but all tube amps do, however you DO NOT need to turn it up to get a decent sound.

I play mine at 1-2 regularly and it sounds better than a lot of other tube amps I've played a low volume levels.

For playing with a band it's perfect, you should be able to be heard over everyone at about 4, which is right about when power tube saturation start to kick in.

+1

Metal is all preamp gain so poweramp gain ain't that important anyway.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MatrixClaw

Beat me to it. Well said, sir.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
Beat me to it. Well said, sir.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com