some of us dont have music teachers
so post your bad habits here, to help people avoid picking them up whilst playing!
what?

Originally Posted by .smudged.
cook with semen everybody's doing it

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Quote by PaintOurSilence
If you want to get really sick go to a nearby subway station and lick the walls or maybe a homeless man or two .
Sliding up and down the neck after doing a cool fill.

It's not really a bad habit at all, but it just gets obnoxious when you notice yourself doing it.
Quote by dragon1604
Sliding up and down the neck after doing a cool fill.

It's not really a bad habit at all, but it just gets obnoxious when you notice yourself doing it.

Especially when its on high distortion. lol XD
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
Uhmmm for me it's tapping wildly on my acoustic, I'm sure your not supposed to tap on acoustics.
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
Bringing my thumb up next to the fret board instead of keeping it on the back of the neck.

Learning everything ascending: Make sure you can play your scales ascending and descending, and work on your chromatics or you will get in the habit of playing diatonic patterns.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
I'm way too sloppy...I don't know how...it's just a habit. I always play sloppy...I hate it!
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Moving my mouth when using a wah. But hey, Steve Vai does it, so why not?
Shiny metallic purple armor.
I don't fret with my pinky...extremely bad habit I'm trying to get rid of....
Quote by StreetLight3989
Having my thumb slanted horazantally towards the headstock instead of vertically upwards.

Alot of people do that. My thumb is never in one certain position. It's either pointed towards the head, or up, or a bit over the fretboard. I think that's just person preference and whatever is comfortable.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
My band mates get kinda aggarvated cause sometimes when we are taking a little break in between songs during practice, ill just start shredding are ripping up a random solo for 5 minutes
*Slurps Mt. Dew*
KILL RAP!!!

Gear:
-Dean Dimebag Darrell, Dime O Flage(Snow Camo)
-Crate 15 watt amp
Digi-Tech Bad Monkey Distortion Pedal
I tend to try and move my fretting hand before i finish fretting with my pinkie. I do this when i'm changing positions on the neck.

I've been working on it, but its gonna take awhile to get it engraved into my technique.
epic7734
Quote by Bart-kun
I don't fret with my pinky...extremely bad habit I'm trying to get rid of....

probly the most common habbit between us self-taught players.
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
trying to use all five of my fingers to do a six string bar chord
and anything relevant to that, such as using for fingers on a power chord on the a string instead of using just my index and ring finger
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Having my thumb slanted horazantally towards the headstock instead of vertically upwards.

me too. i tend to start out with it in the right position and as i move up the neck my thumb stays where it is...
Pretty much just stumbling round developing my technique by learning to play my favourite songs. I flat out refuse to learn any theory other than "make sure you dont miss the strings when you strum"
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
my worst habit is trying to make the whole song a neck breaker. tends to turn into a 5 minute break down.
I squeeze too hard with my fretting hand.

I use too many downstrokes instead of alternate or economy picking.

I should try to leave my thumb further down at the back of the neck sometimes, especially when I'll have to do a lot of stretching in a song.
I squeeze too hard with my fretting hand.

I just commented about that in another thread regarding tuning. Pushing the strings too hard is probably the most common bad habit of all guitar players. I learned on a cheap Silvertone acoustic with those Black Diamond strings that can double as high tension power lines. Pushing the strings was hard, and made more so by the action on that guitar being fairly high. I got it when I was 6 years old and played it till a "friend" busted it up when I was 16. Once I graduated to good quality guitars, I've kept pushing the strings like I'm trying to choke a horse, the habit developed as a youngster playing a cheap acoustic with the heaviest strings in the known universe.

I'm trying to break that habit now, I'm finding it's the main reason for almost all the problems I have with tuning. I check my guitar and the tuner says it's dead on, but soon as I start to play I hear notes that are distinctly out of tune, almost always sharp. I finally got tipped off by an article I read not too long ago about this problem, and yep, I'm guilty as charged.

Probably next is playing too much. I try to play good tasteful melodic guitar as much as possible, and I still catch myself just aimlessly playing fast licks that don't "say" much of anything. That's the thing I've tried to do for the longest, know when to play and know when to PLAY, and make every note count. that's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.

I guess my next worst habit is getting out of bed in the mornings...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paper Snowman
Moving my mouth when using a wah. But hey, Steve Vai does it, so why not?

Same.

When I use a floyd rose + a wah.... it all goes downhill from there. XD
I don't even shred
when i pick a string i pink up not down

but on chords i strum down so i dont think it makes a difference right?