Page 1 of 2
i was looking at my guitar collection the other day, and noticed that they are pretty much all super-strats or rather "metally" (im not even a metal-head :P).

im starting Uni in october and am looking for a decent guitar that will cover alot of bases stylistically.

i dont have a whole lot of money, so im looking for something "affordable" (but not ****e!!!) and has good versatility.

anyone got any suggestions? if possible, i would like some that are a little more imaginative than "fender strat" or "gibbo les paul".

hmmm
Ibanez SA series?
or maybe a schecter tempest gold top?
Quote by mafropetee
Hey There Delilah was carefully designed by the world's top researchers to make girls want to have sex with whoever is playing it. That is its only purpose.

Gear:

Ibanez S470 - SH-6
Squier Showmaster - SH10 + TB-4
Epiphone Joe Pass Arch Top
Probably any H-H guitar. Keep a distortion-oriented pickup in the bridge and then put either a jazzier, lower output pup or a p90 (if you want the bite) in the neck. Thats what Ive been doing lately and its great for versatility. For the actual guitar, I'd go with probably either a Schechter or one of the less metal Ibanezes.
Last edited by Adam72690 at Sep 1, 2007,
Quote by Ultra_goose
hmmm
Ibanez SA series?

+1
Ibanez SA260
Roland Microcube
PRS SE's are all good and affordable, and very versatile. I have the soapbar II and it's surprisingly useful. Lots of different tones, and it really responds to pick attack and position.
Quote by Armon
+1

right, ill have a look. its *looks* pretty much like a yamaha rgx series, but the yammy is string-thru, which i would prefer. anyone know anything about these?
Hmm, you want something a bit different.

How about a semi-hollow? A nice Epiphone Dot or Riviera is always nice.

Perhaps a Gibson Les Paul Doublecut? I'm rather fond of those.

Maybe a Tokai Les Paul. They're amazing guitars.

Which uni are you at by the way?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by joeymaxx
Washburn X50Pro.
It handles cleans and distortion well,
Set Neck,
Good stuff

ive been looking at those. seem like good value

still looking around though...

ive been having a skirt around and have seen the OLP Luke. ive played a MM luke and its quite clearly an amazing guitar (also ball-breakingly expensive), anyone played the OLP version? i say this because Luke is one of the most versatile guitarists around, so his signature guitar must be too...
what music do you play and what's your current rig? what do you mean by "affordable"? EDIT: eh, that luke's badass (the music man one, haven't tried the OLP) but any HSS strat will be as versatile, more or less.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what music do you play and what's your current rig? what do you mean by "affordable"? EDIT: eh, that luke's badass (the music man one, haven't tried the OLP) but any HSS strat will be as versatile, more or less.

i play a little bit of everything, but primarily rock/hard rock/little bit of shred/prog.

but im going to Uni soon and ill be playing absolutely everything stylistically, so im looking for a "jack of all trades" guitar. obviously im not going to get a guitar that will do everything killer, but something that will be good enough to spare my blushes, something that wont let me down you know?

my "nice" amp is a laney VC50, which is a very nice combo for a lot of different sounds. i also use a korg toneworks AX3000, which im trying to phase out and replace with stompboxes, but thats on the back burner at the minute.

affordable, couple hundred quid, but maybe could stretch more, its a tricky one because im poor with the old student fees etc, but its a music degree, so its an essential purchase really.
what superstrats do you already have? i'd have thought a super-strat would have been one of your better options for those tones, to be honest. not much point in buying something for the sake of it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thats my point though, my guitars are fine for these tones. but for example, blues/indie/pop/jazz through a maverick F3 with invaders yields less than favorable results.

EDIT:

current guitars

maverick F3 (SD Invaders)
Ibanez RG (dimarzio evolution bridge + stock rest)
jackson JS30RR (dimarzio super distortions)
Peavey Rotor FR (totally stock)
Vintage SG (currently in state of disrepair, totally stock)
70s japanese les paul (currently also in state of disrepair, bought as a project)
80s jap super-strat (another project, awesome paintjob ) - HAIR METAL TO THE CORE haha

See what i mean?
Last edited by doddsie_105 at Sep 1, 2007,
A semi hollow would probably do well for those mentioned styles.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Some kind of fat Strat would be good, I think.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by doddsie_105
thats my point though, my guitars are fine for these tones. but for example, blues/indie/pop/jazz through a maverick F3 with invaders yields less than favorable results.

EDIT:

current guitars

maverick F3 (SD Invaders)
Ibanez RG (dimarzio evolution bridge + stock rest)
jackson JS30RR (dimarzio super distortions)
Peavey Rotor FR (totally stock)
Vintage SG (currently in state of disrepair, totally stock)
70s japanese les paul (currently also in state of disrepair, bought as a project)
80s jap super-strat (another project, awesome paintjob ) - HAIR METAL TO THE CORE haha

See what i mean?

yep i see what you mean. to be honest, assuming you like playing your current guitars (or unless you need them for specific tones which require those pickups), the handiest thing to do might be to invest in some more versatile pickups or something like that...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kurapica

Which uni are you at by the way?

wolverhampton uni (walsall campus). its no oxford, but its not bad. and not a million miles from where you are!

Quote by Dave_Mc
yep i see what you mean. to be honest, assuming you like playing your current guitars (or unless you need them for specific tones which require those pickups), the handiest thing to do might be to invest in some more versatile pickups or something like that...

looking at the list, id definitely say a few are expendable. im going to have to do some thinking about whether to get rid of one and invest in new pickups for another, or get rid of a few and bring in a new guitar. im still liking the look of the OLP Luke. if only somewhere around here had one in stock....
Quote by doddsie_105
wolverhampton uni (walsall campus). its no oxford, but its not bad. and not a million miles from where you are!

Haha yeah jesus man. You're really close to me. I'm in Cannock which is just the other side of Walsall! Kinda funny that you're going there and I'm off to friggin' Sheffield. Other side of the bastard country haha. I'm pretty sure there's a gig being planned for my band at the Little Civic, in the preliminary stages atm though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
sounds like what you've got is already good for versatility... probably somewhat why you like them right? I know you are looking for otherwise, but LP's are versatile and great guitars.
my Palomino is pretty versatile. try an artcore if you find the palo too thick.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by protech487
sounds like what you've got is already good for versatility... probably somewhat why you like them right? I know you are looking for otherwise, but LP's are versatile and great guitars.

im not against LP's. its just that if i hadnt ruled it out, id have had pages and pages of "Epi Les Paul" or "fender strat". i just wanted to see what other people would suggest as alternatives
Schecter C-1 perhaps, or some variant. Doesn't matter...you can't go wrong with a Schecter.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
right, ive been looking into a few of the guitars mentioned, and some of them look great for what i need! cheers guys!

another question on the OLP luke though, it has a "2 point fulcrum tremolo" on it. im familiar with floyd roses and stuff, but dont understand what that means. is it floating? i hope its not floating!

any help?

thanks in advance!
you could probably set it up to float, or not float. best check though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have the OLP petrucci and it sounds and feels great. but the hardware is really poor. the tuners barely work and my strap button came off in a week. the trem is reasonably good though. anyway i've never tried the luke sig but i think olp instruments are great with some hardware tweaks. i'll try the luke signature on monday (if you can wait that long) and let you know what i think of it.
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 2, 2007,
^ where can you try that in northern ireland?

(oh, also check into the G G&A spam thread from time to time, you've earned your place in there by now!)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they have it in belfast guitar emporium. or atleast they did last week. they have the petrucci one too.

edit: what spam thread?
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 2, 2007,
that would be awesome if you could try it out and let me know. im looking for it to have a nice rock and metal tone, but also can do a job for funk, blues, jazz etc acceptably. if you could bare this in mind while playing, that would be very useful.

sure, i'll try it through a few amps a few different styles. oh how i'll get laughed at when i attempt funk but oh well, i have no shame.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
sure, i'll try it through a few amps a few different styles. oh how i'll get laughed at when i attempt funk but oh well, i have no shame.

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
they have it in belfast guitar emporium. or atleast they did last week. they have the petrucci one too.

edit: what spam thread?

the "who to listen to list"...

oh, interesting. That's a good point, i think i saw it last time i was in too, just it didn't register. it's a nice guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by doddsie_105
im not against LP's. its just that if i hadnt ruled it out, id have had pages and pages of "Epi Les Paul" or "fender strat". i just wanted to see what other people would suggest as alternatives

Yeah. The thing is, the HSS Strat is probably the best alternative. I recently picked up a G&L ASAT, which is the new guitar I'm pushing 'cause I love it so. ASAT stands for "A Strat And Tele," and covers the sounds of both of those guitars well and more. The pickups are pretty hot, and behave almost like P-90's to get you those kind of tones as well. You could probably get a Tribute model at a fair price, built in Korea(?) but has the US made pups on it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Shecter Tempest Custom, very versatile if you ask me
Ibanez Talman if you can find one, the electric from the 90s not the acoustic. Its deffinitely my favorite guitar I own. And they are usually cheap.
Page 1 of 2