'cuz i got a spider II amp (which i've heard is crap-tastic)
and i got a epiphone sg which i've heard mixed kinda things about...so..is this stuff really that bad?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Its fine for a beginner. If it feels good for you, than why not stick with it. Once you feel like they are only holding you back, then move up a notch.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by bobby_splax
and i got a epiphone sg which i've heard mixed kinda things about...so..is this stuff really that bad?

don't even worry about it, everyone on this site is extremely picky. ive seen people post questions about the nicest and most expensive amps and they just get shot down
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
The Epi SG are really quite nice IMO it's the les pauls which are awful. The spider amps are not great but fantastic for a beginner because they are so easy to use.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by justin_fraser
Its fine for a beginner. If it feels good for you, than why not stick with it. Once you feel like they are only holding you back, then move up a notch.

Agreed.

If you're Epiphone SG is the G400 model then you've got a great guitar to do up too. If not then it's still great for starting with. Don't worry too much.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by BodaciousBob
The Epi SG are really quite nice IMO it's the les pauls which are awful. The spider amps are not great but fantastic for a beginner because they are so easy to use.

Epi Les Pauls can be really nice
Epi SGs are alright.

The amp you have sucks, not to offend you or anything.

Your next purchase should be a new tube amp. And then a better guitar. Then start working on pedals.
Sent from my iPad.
You can probably answer your own question, What does it sound like to you? By now you had to of gone into a music shop and plugged other guitars into other amps. How does the sound compare? Playablity, quality of feel? If it's in your price range and you like it as well as anything else you can afford, your equipment is fine. You'll know when you want (and can) upgrade.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
People on this site are way too picky, i own a marshall MG50DFX yes you heard it a marshall MG, and to be honest, running from my line6PODXT into it and having the FDD switch on i think it sounds pretty damn nice, so use your own ears dude its what you think that counts not what everyone else thinks.
Quote by bobby_splax

if it's a Epi G400, then just put new pups in, and you an awesome guitar. For your amp, just save and try to find what you like tone wise.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
ya it's a g400. umm....anyone know good pick ups i could swap out though? or should i get a new amp first?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax

the epi is ok... the amp would be the first upgrade however

and for some reason, i've come to love my sg special ... it feels comfortable (mainly 'cause ive had it for so long)... the only down side is the cutaway... i plan on adding a les trem or bigsby and a p-90 pick up in the neck position...
but thats a while away ... i plan on getting a tele, and an orange or engl first
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Cant say I know much about the spiders amps, I see alot of bad talk about them. And the only person Ive met who had one first thing he said was Im taking it in to try to get it fixed. As for your guitar, theres nothing wrong with the epi guitars. Im sure the ultra cheap arent so good. But anything ultra cheap is that way. Considering a decent set of pickups is gonna run more than a hundred bucks. How can guitar cost less than 200 bucks. And yea we have heard all the bad mouthing about this brand or that. IMO is what people like to use. But that all it is, is opinions. Everybody wants to think what they have is the best so conversely all other equipment has to be crap. Music is subjective, some like to play fender some gibson. If your happy with it then use it. If you want a better guitar buy one but dont get rid of your other one. Each guitar plays different, not worse or better just different. As for changing pickups, I know most say get the hottest thing you can find. But that doesnt always work out the best. I had put a set of emgs in my lespaul, but took em back out and put em in another guitar. The factory ones arent that horrible. Im kinda partial to tube amps but have been looking at getting a decent solid state. Im a bit of a minimalist, I dont use a ton of pedals. Never saw the point in buying a really good sounding tube amp then putting a bunch of pedals in front of it and choking off the tone. The best advice buy what you want and stop listening to so the chorus behind you.
Quote by bobby_splax

if the amp works, the guitar stays in tune then ur golden until u eventually upgrade.

as ur ear develops, and you start to fine tune where you want to go with ur guitar playing, then check out amps more specific to those needs.

dont worry about what other guys think of your gear. just play it until it no longer works for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by justin_fraser

+1
^ That is correct. I'm getting the Epi G-400 SG soon, it sounded great in the store. Although be aware that you can do much better for an amp. I would suggest looking into a Vox or Orange amp. But try all kinds first, those are just the ones to keep your eye out on. I got the Epi because its cheap for now, and yet I can upgrade it well when the time comes.
Quote by bobby_splax
ya it's a g400. umm....anyone know good pick ups i could swap out though? or should i get a new amp first?

The amp is the first priority. But don't rush it. Wait until you're in a band and can justify the outlay for a nice amp. A 30w valve amp or some variety usually does the trick for most people in most situations and will sound great.

Then you should think about pickups and pedals. Until then, don't worry.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
for electronics: (assuming you play rock). if you want a more vintage sound ill post another link
one of these: http://store.guitarfetish.com/activepreamps.html (your choice)
and these pickups:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhiouhuc.html
then these pots to coil split the pups, whatever else you want (phase, series, parallel etc.)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pudppo50auge.html
and new caps, toggle from here:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/guelco.html
Quote by Talentless
People on this site are way too picky, i own a marshall MG50DFX yes you heard it a marshall MG, and to be honest, running from my line6PODXT into it and having the FDD switch on i think it sounds pretty damn nice, so use your own ears dude its what you think that counts not what everyone else thinks.

bravo. if you like it. then its fine.