Here on UG, we get asked a lot, "what does ibanez prestige mean?"
That important word, prestige. Does it mean "add £100+ to the price" or does it mean "prestige quality"?

By using a Prestige RG1527 and a non prestige, Korean Jem 555 (1999), i will try to show you some finer details that in my opinion, warrant the price jump.
i will not be comparing pickups due to them being swapped out almost always on prestige and non prestige models by the owners.

So most of the time you hear its the neck, its the fretwork or its the neck joint.
Which is the right answer? ALL!

Here are pics of the Jems fretwork, you will notice that the fret ends are slightly exposed with ibanez cutting through the whole fret length to install the frets.
This, in changing weather, can cause sharp fret ends that hurt your hands, or slight gaps where dirt builds up.
These pics pics show the latter with open fret ends.

Here are pics of the rg1527's fretwork. Its obvious that fret ends dont exist!
they have removed the tang from the fret and made it so that the fret ends are not open, like you would experience if a guitar had binding.

Next up, the necks!
Here is the Jem 555's neck joint, neck and headstock.
Its visible the neck is one piece, ibanez tuners and a close, flatter heel

The next pics show the RG's heel, heatstock and neck.
The neck is 5 piece which adds some stability aswell as being more environmentally friendly. The headstock features GOTOH tuners, great stable and accurate.
Gotoh is the same company who make the edge, edge pro, lo pro etc. bridges.
You can also see that the heel is slightly more shaped.

Finish?
Yes, thats slightl different!
Both were finished with a high gloss that shines up fantastic!

But both have thier flaws IMO.
the Prestige finish chips way way to easily, where as my korean jems finish hasnt chipped at all. Infact, here you can see rather large dings i put in the body but the finish has stayed!

Below is the RG chip that i have filled in, but you can see that the finish came off clean if you look around the edges

Bridges
Obviously there is a big difference here.
Prestige use the Edge pro or double Edge model which is favoured highly above the non prestige Lotrs, LotrsII, Edge III and Edge II.

Somthing extra!
Now this hasnt been mentioned before, but i think it needs an applause from Ibanez!
Upon looking at my electronics in the prestige, i noticed somthing...

Can you see it? the lip where the plate goes in isnt square...infact its sloped!
Uh oh...so how does the plate fit?!

The edge of the plate is sloped too!
So when you have taken screws out and your fiddling with your korean Ibanez trying to pry the plate off, the prestige user can SLIDE his off, yes..it jsut slides.

Here is a pic of the square fit that hte MIK jem has

So i hope i have cleared a few things up here..a few things that warrant that "Prestige" name in my honest opinion.

Thanks for reading!
Nick
Nice work

But is it just me or both the neck looks very fat...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Great post, I've always wondered.

Just an observation, I have a non-prestige RG7321, and it has a 5 piece neck...perhaps just a necessity of the wider 7 string neck?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Great post, I've always wondered.

Just an observation, I have a non-prestige RG7321, and it has a 5 piece neck...perhaps just a necessity of the wider 7 string neck?

well using one peice of maple that large would be a waste and also be less stable under large amount of tension.
reinforcing with bubinga, rosewood etc. means that is wont bow as much when you dont want it.
I don't think you can compare two guitars, one being Prestige and the other not, and base conclusions on that.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
I don't think you can compare two guitars, one being Prestige and the other not, and base conclusions on that.

i didnt comare the guitars, i jsut showed that the "prestige" name means something
yes ibanez necks play very fast.... nice and thin.

grrr why arent all bolt ons like ibanez
I do love my 2570E Vital silver finish prestige, but arent there only mostly cosmetic differences/pup differences between the 1570 and 2570?
Should probaby sticky this, as this question is asked a fair bit...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
just one question, is it posible to slap on a prestige neck on a non prestige ibanez?:P
Quote by ATGreat
just one question, is it posible to slap on a prestige neck on a non prestige ibanez?:P

Epic bump of the past!

Depends on which non-prestige Ibanez model I suppose, but I'm not sure.