Hey i have a problem. My bands set list has 4 songs in drop d, 2 in standard and then 3 in Drop B. Its fine tuning from standard to drop d, but we all have a second instrument set up in drop b. It can be a pain to have to swap guitars and then swap leads over etc mid set, so i was wondeering if we could use AB boxes to get round this.

I know normally you have 1 input going to two different outputs and you switch them, but would it work the other way? This would mean i could just switch between guitars without having to unplug anything.

Thanks.
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

You'd probably need something custom built.

I'd try contacting this guy....I loved his product, but didn't need all the features....so I asked if he could build me a custom A/B Box, and he did....cost $45 if I remember correctly. Great quality, and amazing service.

http://home.comcast.net/~pedalboardjunction/

Get a hold of him, and tell him what you need. He should be able to do it for you.
Any A/B box should be able to do that
I know the Boss one does, i'm not sure why others wouldn't have this?
it only takes about 10 seconds to walk to the side of your stage, pull off your current guitar, grab the next one, then walk back and plug in. if you're playing a really big gig, have a friend or someone hand the next one to you if you really want to save time.
maybe he'll be wearing both guitars at the same time; one hanging really high and the other low! :lol:
i'm gonna make an A/B box for $20. i found a good layout right here:
http://singlecoil.com/docs/ab.pdf

look on either smallbearelec.com or pedalpartsplus.com for the parts. they have everything.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
This is exactly what A/B boxes are designed to do, either one instrument switching between two amps, or two instruments into one amplifier. However when it comes to switching guitars, picking up a new one off the rack and strapping it on is the time consuming part, plugging it on only takes a second. I'd be more interested in a mute pedal for the input so you don't send crackle and buzz through the amp as you plug in. I think you can get tuner pedals that do that.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by fireball85
Hey i have a problem. My bands set list has 4 songs in drop d, 2 in standard and then 3 in Drop B. Its fine tuning from standard to drop d, but we all have a second instrument set up in drop b. It can be a pain to have to swap guitars and then swap leads over etc mid set, so i was wondeering if we could use AB boxes to get round this.

I know normally you have 1 input going to two different outputs and you switch them, but would it work the other way? This would mean i could just switch between guitars without having to unplug anything.

Thanks.

yes the morley and the george lynch pedals do this. however you would be just as well to get planet waves circuit breaking cables and just click the button when you finish. much cheaper and wont affect your tone.
Quote by TroyMaclure
yes the morley and the george lynch pedals do this. however you would be just as well to get planet waves circuit breaking cables and just click the button when you finish. much cheaper and wont affect your tone.

+1 on the planet waves cable, I meant to include that in my post. I've been gassing a set of those for ages, they cut out all the buzz and crackle when you plug in. Unfortunately my current budget means I solder my own.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Yes, that's what they're designed to do...2 guitars, 2 amps, 2 pedalboards...

I'm also in the market for one...I'm looking at the Carvin one for 20 bucks, or the Boss AB-2, price forgotten.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
The planet waves cable gets screwed up after a while. I had one for a few months, and then it started cutting my volume and popping back up for no reason whatsoever. I think it's because I had it through the strap on my SG, so it had a little angle to it. It's worth it for those few months, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
The planet waves cable gets screwed up after a while. I had one for a few months, and then it started cutting my volume and popping back up for no reason whatsoever. I think it's because I had it through the strap on my SG, so it had a little angle to it. It's worth it for those few months, though.

I thought they were supposed to be lifetime guaranteed, and that was the whole point of spending on obscene amount of money on a cable - you never need to buy another one.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

You could just invest in a pedal tuner, most of those will cut the signal to the amp when you are tuning and you can tune as well.

Circuit breaker cables from Planet Waves work well also. TheShred201 uses them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio