hey guys,

i just started guitar a month or so ago, so i am DEF a noob

i don't know a lot of songs yet, but i do think that a multi-effects pedal would make guitaring more fun than it already is :P

so should i, a beginner, get a multi effects pedal (i was thinking of either the Boss GT8 or the Line 6 Pod XT Live) or should i wait till my skills are "better" to get one?

and also, i have an audio interface (emu 0404)
can i plug the multi effects pedal into my emu 0404 to record?

thanks!
You could plug your FX processor into an audio interface to record...but an effects processor costs a lot of money, so I would wait until you know for sure that you will get a good use out of your effects pedal before buying one, at least a year. Most guitarists stop playing after a year, in which case your money will have been wasted, so wait a bit I say.
it doesnt really, common newb mistake. get a good guitar, a good amp, know how to twist their knobs, you have the most beautiful tones at your disposal right there. if you want the ability to record, id reccomend the line 6 toneport UX1. does include modeling and effects and all that. and the generation that relies on all this digital crap really is the reason why rock is slowly becoming more and more retarded. i mean, just play and love your instrument, and know how to make that amp really breathe and move air
Quote by -SpasticInk-
yes!

fun guitar makes you learn faster =]

i have the "this guy's trying to be a dick" alert going off in my head
ive been playing for a year, i bought an rp-150 early, dont regret it, it made learning fun! way more funnerer
i think you should get a good gutiar and a good amp first. a boss gt-8 costs roughly 500 and i think, especialy with beginer equipment, that you will find much much frustration in making the gt-8 really work and sound good. i regret spening 500 bucks onmy gt-8 because i find the better i get i use less effects other than distortion, delay and reverb. i think you should just save your money get a good guitar and amp. then if you feel the need then that you need effects then go try out a bunch
yes, buy one. they are pertty fun to mess with. but dont buy a very expensive one like a GT-8, just get a cheap one for under $100 to mess around with
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
yeah most deffienetly youllhav more fun playing with nwe sounds =]]

Originally Posted by .smudged.
cook with semen everybody's doing it

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Quote by PaintOurSilence
If you want to get really sick go to a nearby subway station and lick the walls or maybe a homeless man or two .
go head just make sure you know what your getting and dont get a 2 expensive of a pedal since your still new
Why not?You'll have a brief understanding of certain effects,and you'll know what you'll like so when you decide to start going analog you'll get the ones you like.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Honestly I'd buy a looper if I were a noobie again, nothings more helpful for jamming and improv then creating a chord progression thats all your own.
Lets look at this realistically, you have been playing a month. You most likey cannot play much at all. Anyone who has played for a while, say around at least a year or so, know exactly where you are at.
Take time to learn your scales, learn music theory, take some lessons.
Spend your money on some lessons from a qualified instructor. A good instructor will be able to tell you what effects are being used on songs. If you get a petal you will get wrapped up in making noise and not music.
Remember, this is the most important. Guitar playing is lifelong. Dont worry about where you are at after certain time frames.
Play to have fun. Plan on a couple years to be able to play proficiently.
the zoom g2 and digitech rp series are a decentl multi fx units that you can get for cheap

like jasonlee91 said, the gt8 is expensive and your probably dont have an ear for tone yet so it wouldnt be the best buy for you at this point
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
on one hand, its a lot of fun and will probably get you to play guitar more.

on the other hand, it wastes (IMO) a good amount of money and you probably wont be practicing the right things; just messing around.

either way, do what you want, but i know from experience it will leave you with something to be desired and youll always think you need one more piece of gear to make your guitar playing complete. honestly the coolness of it will start to wear off and you might regret not buying a nicer strap, some extra strings, and a 6 pack instead
Well, if you'd rather go for single effect pedals, Danelectro makes some (apparently) good-quality ones for about $15 bucks apiece. Called the "FAB" series.

And, if not, yeah, multi-effects boxes are kinda fun. I've got one for bass (my dad's, actually) that I use with guitar, and it's pretty fun.
Magic boxes really dont help much. I have one of the zoom multi pedals, it does a half ass job of everything. It does alot but doesnt do much very good. Most of them have limited settings. You can kill your self trying to get just the right sound. I use mine now as just a volume pedal and tuner. Its pretty good at that. If you want a flanger buy a flanger, if you want a wah buy a wah. I guess I learned the old fashioned way. When I started out the multi effects thing was just getting going. All the stores were saying were going to stop selling analog, everybody is going digital. But look how much the old stuff is going for now. Less is more sometimes. You wont know how you really sound if you have magic box between you and the amp.
well i'd learn some songs first (preferably on this website by tab reading) then try your effect pedal, I have a Digitech RP80 and it was really cheap (got it as a gift from an aunt who never spends over 80 bucks on me) and its really tight. It has tons of awesome effects with and without echo and it also has many drum loops (great for a bassist like me). But learn some songs and just have fun, also the more you practice the better you will get and most importantly NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GET BORED, KEEP AT IT!!!
I only got a Wah Wah, don't need anything else.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I don't like multi-FX ,but gotta admit it makes it more fun. I started off using a crappy Zoom 2020 and a massive pair of headphones...and at the time I felt like a rock star! However, don't practice using FX all the time - they have a habit of making you think you're better than you are.....
Don't worry about an amp unless you're playing live in a band (or can afford an good one!). Cheap practice amps are rubbish.
For just noodling in your bedroom try something like a Zoom G1 or Digitech RP50 which are amazing value.There's also loads of modelling/multi FX ampsavailable like the Cube and Vox DA series which are good if you're planning on jamming with your mates.
Quote by mushy_eyes
hey guys,

i just started guitar a month or so ago, so i am DEF a noob

i don't know a lot of songs yet, but i do think that a multi-effects pedal would make guitaring more fun than it already is :P

so should i, a beginner, get a multi effects pedal (i was thinking of either the Boss GT8 or the Line 6 Pod XT Live) or should i wait till my skills are "better" to get one?

and also, i have an audio interface (emu 0404)
can i plug the multi effects pedal into my emu 0404 to record?

thanks!

if you have money, then why not. as others say it is fun and fun will make you play more. just don't fall into the trap of burying your sound in fx all the time and oractice your lessons.
Are you using good gear right now? If so, then picking up one effect at a time isn't a bad idea, as they would likely be higher quality.

I don't think multi-effects are a bad idea for a beginner. I started on a digital modelling amp, which was a good introduction to a variety of effects and tones. Like others have said, don't get stuck on it though. After a few months of screwing around with the effects, I wound up using mostly reverb, compression and chorus.
if I was you I wouldnt get it because you will prolly spend the first 20 hrs of practice after you get it and probably have nothing to show other than a funny sound... get a distortion pedal or something of the sort if anything
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
If you've just started playing then i'm guessing you don't really have a very good amp right away. Why not buy a new amp with some effects built in? you're killing two birds with one stone that way. I have a Roland Cube which has quite a few effects.
hm i got a roland cube x .... do you think this is a good amp...
i bought it because the vendor said its pretty cool and you get something for your money..(it was really cheap i think about 200&euro

so do you think it´s a good amp?
Proud Member of UG´s HATECREW and the Tool Thread Biznitches

also proud member of the Jennerweinschützen Siegensdorf
No, don't do it. Learn the fundamentals first. Besides, being bogged down with effects before you have the patience to focus is distracting.
I just started too so I can't give the best advice, but if the kind of songs you wanna play uses effects pedals than sure knock yourself out.
get a digitech rp50

theyre sweet and fun and cheap....just dont always practice with it...or w/e lol
Ibanez ART300 HOLY JESUS TOTALLY FUCKING METAL
'87 warlock (in progress)
yahmaha noname w/ a floyd rose
takamine g-series acoustic!!!
orange crush 10
vox ad15vt
line 6 Pod
Boss metalzone
Boss super overdrive
Quote by siksofus
Lets look at this realistically, you have been playing a month. You most likey cannot play much at all. Anyone who has played for a while, say around at least a year or so, know exactly where you are at.
Take time to learn your scales, learn music theory, take some lessons.
Spend your money on some lessons from a qualified instructor. A good instructor will be able to tell you what effects are being used on songs. If you get a petal you will get wrapped up in making noise and not music.
Remember, this is the most important. Guitar playing is lifelong. Dont worry about where you are at after certain time frames.
Play to have fun. Plan on a couple years to be able to play proficiently.

^
This is the reason people quit guitar.

**** your theory. You want a ME pedal? Go getcha one-it will expand your creativity and ability in ways you cant do otherwise. Learn how to do the stuff that takes hard work when you're ready to learn it, after a month i wouldve thrown down my guitar and walked off forever if someone had started shovin theory own my throat.

I can't believe you even TOLD him that...

...noise...