Hi Ive been playing for 2 months and I'm concerned whether my picking technique is bad.

Whenever I pick I have my palm rested on the bridge of the guitar, but I've read on a forum that my hand should be floating above all the strings and bridge.

So when I am picking a string (no muting) should I have my hand resting somewhere or should my hand just be in the air(with my arm resting over the guitar's body)? Bcos when I try and pick fast like that its incredibly difficult.
ok what u are doing is palm muting... but you're doin it regular (if that makes sense). You should keep ur hand floating above with ur arm on the body then it should be easier
Playing unanchored is hard at first, but necessary.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
It's preference. I anchor my hand either on the bridge or just above it on the body for the lower strings, doesn't affect my technique.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
if you have your hand behind the saddles (where the strings meet the bridge) then i guess thats allright. your tone's usually a lot brighter if you picking back there. but i just ran to my guitar to see how i rest my hand, turns out i do that too, but just make sure that youre not palm muting unless you mean too. i do that mostly on the low strings, but on the high strings, i prefer to rest my middle, ring, and pinky fingers just below the strings. on rhythym, go wild, just be accurate
Thanks for the replies every1

ok so it seems as if everyone plays differently.

But would I be correct in saying that having my hand hovering over the guitar (palm not in contact with the strings, saddle of the guitar or any fingers in contact where a pickguard would be) would be the best way to play in the long run? I just played it that way and I my hand felt slightly out of control but I'm sure I can work on that.

Also, does anyone know what guitarists like JP, Satch do? I've seen many youtube clips but its hard to make out what they'r exactly doing - hovering or resting their hand somewhere when playing fast
Satch walks his fingers along the strings he's not playing, as in, touches them so they don't ring, these being the strings further away from his body. Not sure about anyone else.
--
Grrr... thats what I've been doing I think... as in just resting my hand over strings that I wont be picking. But when I do this I often get ringing when I take my hand off...

But my biggest problem with this is where to put my hand when Im playing the lower strings because there wont be any strings above them to walk on if you see what I mean.
Yeh I know what you mean, hmm, I think when I get there, I curl my hand into a ball like how Petrucci speed picks, which is a commonly adopted stance, and mute the lower strings with my palm so there's no noise.
--
jp puts his pinky around the bridge and puts his middle finger over his index...
Ive noticed my picking is similar to the guy here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vL8FRCghf_0
where I dont rest my palm on the bridge but move the hand down as a whole.

I was wondering if this is different from a floating hand. Because as you can see the hand is resting (on strings not being played). Is this a floating hand or does a floating hand literally have to be over all the strings and if so how is unwanted noise from other strings reduced.
Quote by legacyman
Ive noticed my picking is similar to the guy here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vL8FRCghf_0
where I dont rest my palm on the bridge but move the hand down as a whole.

I was wondering if this is different from a floating hand. Because as you can see the hand is resting (on strings not being played). Is this a floating hand or does a floating hand literally have to be over all the strings and if so how is unwanted noise from other strings reduced.

i would like to know this also, please, some one answer the question lol.