Hi I want a dist pedal that can make my bass get dist and make it sound a bit more like a guitar. Can anyone help me out ?
To make it sound like guitar? Why would a bass player want such a thing? Anyway Cliff Burton had a very guitarish sound and he used a Big Muff, but I recommend the Metal Muff over the normal BM
Well I love the bass sound, its just that I would also like to be able to get it to sound a tiny bit more like a guitar for some songs.
im looking for something similar ... you can use it for more than just a traditional sound, being innovative is a great part of playing music. and personally i feel the same way, i think bass with some distortion can sound great with certain riffs, kind of like a down-tuned bass heavy guitar.
THanks I'll look into the metal muff. It Looks good. I dont want my bass to sound like a guitar, just a tiny bit more like one when needed.
Why do you play bass then?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Well, this won't be the first time I say this, but I won't rant. I won't sugar-coat, either.

EHX Muff pedals totally ruin your bottom end. Totally. Especially the Metal Muff. When you step on the pedal while the guitars are playing, your sound will disappear and blend in with the background. Some people say 'oh, the Big Muff isn't that bad,' or 'Cliff used it', and yes, it only might cut out 80% of your low end instead of 100%, but you should still avoid it for the same reasons. You should look into the reasons why the Russian Big Muff doesn't hurt your low end as much (hint: poor components result in a muddy tone).

There are plenty of bass distortion pedals that have special bass-specific features. A list of them with sound clips can be found here:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/Dec-06/24670

Notice the lack of Muff pedals on that list. There's a reason for that.

I wonder how many time's I've posted something like this?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Probably not enough, I just recommended the Muff cus he wants to sound like a guitar, but I am intrigued by all of those pedals on that list but I have no idea as to where to try half of them
Quote by thefitz
Well, this won't be the first time I say this, but I won't rant. I won't sugar-coat, either.

EHX Muff pedals totally ruin your bottom end. Totally. Especially the Metal Muff. When you step on the pedal while the guitars are playing, your sound will disappear and blend in with the background. Some people say 'oh, the Big Muff isn't that bad,' or 'Cliff used it', and yes, it only might cut out 80% of your low end instead of 100%, but you should still avoid it for the same reasons. You should look into the reasons why the Russian Big Muff doesn't hurt your low end as much (hint: poor components result in a muddy tone).

There are plenty of bass distortion pedals that have special bass-specific features. A list of them with sound clips can be found here:

I kinda like both the new Ashdown Drive pedal and that Dunlop/MXR Bass Blowtorch. Both seem to be decent pedals from that article.
^ I use the Dunlop MXR bass di+ instead of the blow torch, but I bought it as a DI, but I love the distortion
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by thefitz

never the less the big muff is very good for solos and parts that stand out from the guitar.
Quote by ironmaiden1
never the less the big muff is very good for solos and parts that stand out from the guitar.

i guess it simply depends on how often you use the overdrive as to how good of a drive you need.
ok I'll buy a propper bass pedal. Maybe just screw the whole thing and get a bass pod with a million effects. And I love the bass sound, but it would be cool to have a bit different sound sometimes, but thats very rarely so just screw the guitar sound thing. I'll get a pod or something to get some cool effects and stuff and it is good for recording isn't it ?
Bass Guitar Magazine used a Bass Pod for all their sound bytes back when it was a separate magazine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the russian muff in its natural state is crappy for a bass, a modded muff like i have is very nice with a bass but not like the greatest thing ever, a metal muff is horrible on a bass, all treble not balls. fortunately for me the russian muff was free cuz it was broken (crappy wiring disconnected itself) but would i go out and buy one for a bass: no
Last edited by ersatz at Sep 2, 2007,
One muff pedal that is good for bass, and I have read it can get pretty fuzzy with a change of tubes, is the English Muff'n. You can also use it for a great overdrive.
I've got a Metal Muff and whilst it's a great guitar pedal it really sucks all the soul out of your bass tone, I wouldn't reccommend using one for your bass playing.
i bought a Metal Muff, and it has a lot of distortion and stuff for my Bass, and it kinda sounds like a guitar, so i recommend that.
Quote by 12KoRn12
i bought a Metal Muff, and it has a lot of distortion and stuff for my Bass, and it kinda sounds like a guitar, so i recommend that.

I think your sentence is a paradox.
Quote by FullMetalBass
why would you want a distortion for bass that sounded like a guitar?

it still has a low tone sound.
i'd reccomend a big muff... a russian one.... or, ever better, the old green ones from the 70's-90's......... i really really love those......

but depends... if you want a really really good tone keeper, you'll probably have to spend more money on a pedal........

if all you want is dirt, get a boss ds-1 or ds-2...

for a cool overdrive check out the boss obd-3 overdrive, or a fulltone bass drive (which is better, but more expensive)....
Quote by Divine Comedy
i'd reccomend a big muff... a russian one.... or, ever better, the old green ones from the 70's-90's......... i really really love those......

but depends... if you want a really really good tone keeper, you'll probably have to spend more money on a pedal........

if all you want is one giant trebley fart, get a boss ds-1 or ds-2...

for a cool overdrive check out the boss obd-3 overdrive, or a fulltone bass drive (which is better, but more expensive)....

Fixed
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Fixed

oh, come on, its decent... i have a boss ds-2 and the way i use it sounds decent... i mean, its not what i really want, but it was all i could afford...
Quote by Divine Comedy

oh, come on, its decent... i have a boss ds-2 and the way i use it sounds decent... i mean, its not what i really want, but it was all i could afford...

I know what you mean, I bought a DS-1 for £15 off a mate when that was all I could afford. If you want some dirty punk tone that would never cut through more than 1 guitar it's fine, but apart from that it should stay in the signal chain of a guitar in my opinion.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i know.... im gonna buy a 1001RB and a good cab... then an ESP D5 bass, (probably)... and then i'll worry about the pedals... God... sometimes i wish i was rich....
Quote by Divine Comedy

No, no, no, NO! I tried one the day I bought my Fulltone. The bottom end was completely rolled off and I was embarrassed to play it. As I left the store the guy asked me 'leaving so soon?' Yes, yes I was.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
No, no, no, NO! I tried one the day I bought my Fulltone. The bottom end was completely rolled off and I was embarrassed to play it. As I left the store the guy asked me 'leaving so soon?' Yes, yes I was.

if i could afford a fulltone at the time, trust me, i would.... i love those pedals.... as for overdrives, i also like the boss OBD-3, and the tech 21 xxl bass....
The Big Muff is great when you want to play on the higher frets. I do wish I could get a pedal with the muff sound that still sounds great when playing in the low end.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Divine Comedy
if i could afford a fulltone at the time, trust me, i would.... i love those pedals.... as for overdrives, i also like the boss OBD-3, and the tech 21 xxl bass....

The Fulltone isn't that much more than the XXL from what I understand. However, compared to the ODB-3, I like the Digitech Bass Driver as it's flexibility can't be beat.
Quote by Cody_Grey102