On my black '51 Reverse Strat build:

I'm currently running the gold GFS Blowout humbuckers. (not true GFS, they just sell them)

Anyway, the output of them is a little low compared to my Seymour Duncans. The PAF sound is pretty true... very vintage tone, rounded off by the metal covers. They do leave something to be desired, though.

First problem is the gold plating is so thin you can't match them to other gold hardware. In photos here on UG I had people bitch to me that I put chrome pickups on a black/gold guitar. I had to explain the lighting and cheap coating made it look that way. Now after a few months, it looks like the plating is already showing wear and pitting. This means these gotta go. (not in the trash, just to sit for a relic project or something)

This guitar is setup and only played in Drop C. This means CGCFAD. I play stuff like System of a Down on it. The rhythm is heavy, distorted, and needs a strong bottom end.

I wish the bridge was hotter. I'd like something that will scream chords and also get some good clarity played clean... with a nice mid and high register. The SD '59 on my Strat does this. A PAF style humbucker that runs as hot as the '59 from SD would do it for me. I was looking at the GFS crunchy PAF or the vintage stagger hot Seth Lover style also from Guitar Fetish.

The neck could be a little hotter as well. I use the neck or both for the rhythm (obviously) and need something with a strong bottom end. The '59 wouldn't be right for this, I don't think.
Loud, distorted, crunchy, whatever... thats what I want from the neck.

All of this must be in a gold plated package, though.

I didn't know until today that I could get the SD '59 with a gold cover, or the JB. I'm considering a '59 bridge pickup, but still lost on the neck decision.

Any suggestions?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Well Daron's always used Gibson Burtbuckers in all his guitars so it's a safe bet to say you'll get great sounds out of them on yours.
The Dimarzio's with covers (as of 2005) are:
Air Norton, Norton, PAF, Tone Zone, Virtual PAF, Virtual Hot PAF, Air Classic and Bluesbucker
Might of changed since then, I'll have to check up on that. For the tone you want I think the Virtual Hot would be good in the bridge and maybe the Air Norton in the neck.
Quote by Freddedonna
Well Daron's always used Gibson Burtbuckers in all his guitars so it's a safe bet to say you'll get great sounds out of them on yours.

Burstbuckers, eh? Thanks for the info. I was reading about him a bit trying to find that.

Ouch, $129 each from Musicians Friend for the Burstbucker pro:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Burstbucker-Pro-Pickup?sku=304668

I'm a little concerned about string spacing as well... I think I need to find the spacing specs on these and judge from there.
My Music
Reading about these sounds like they are similar to the '59. I know I can get 59's that fit....

What do you think?
My Music
Which SOAD tone? Self-titled, Toxicity/Steal This Album!, and Mezmerize/Hypnotize all have very different tones. I could be much more helpful if you just specify that.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I'm not trying to completely rip anyone's sound. I don't want a carbon copy... I just chose SOAD as the basis for what I'm trying to find.

I guess I will pick the double album as the sound I would like to get close to.
My Music
Mezmerize/Hypnotize? That's not a very heavy tone, in my opinion anyway. I think it sounds very vintagy/straight up rock tone. But I think you'll be happy with Gibson 57 Classics. And your amp is a plus for that kinda tone. I've played an RG (basswood) with those pickups and I loved the tone. Although I believe they're suited more to mohagany bodied guitars since they're stock on some GIbsons. If you don't want to shell out the 100-110 dollars check out some of these GFS pickups:

Vintage 59 Alnico Gold PAF w/matching neck pickup

Vintage 59 Nickel Classic Alnico PAF bridge position w/matching neck pickup

Alnico fat PAF Boutique bridge position w/matching neck pickup

Crunchy PAF bridge position w/matching neck pickup

GFS Humbuckers

I haven't tried any of the GFS pickups but their decsription seems to fit your need. Plus GFS has a reputation for being awesome. So basically, my first choice would be the Gibson 57 Classics, second would be some GFS pickups.

Edit: I would also reccomend the Seymour Dincan Pearly Gates. Daron Malakian used that pickup in a Strat for the self-titled album. Plus it's a sweet sounding pick in gerenal. Have you thought about EMGs?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Sep 2, 2007,
Nope, not really wanting to go active on this one... and aren't all EMG's black plastic? I want to keep the classic gold theme on this one, for sure.

This guitar with the Basswood body and the hardtail has a nice bottom end with a lot of sustain already... so it can pull sounds from pickups that other setups may not. It's more rounded, but has the depth a mahogany body would make. The hard maple neck gives it character, too.

It doesn't sound like a Gibson, however... not at all. Thats part of what I'm going for, something unique in the middle.

Do you think 59's would be too "Fender" and not enough Gibson? They are based on the 59 PAF from Gibson, right?
My Music
It's hard to say. Finding a middle might be tough. Sorry, but I can't help you there. I would do a little more research, and ask other people. But I still reccomend the 57 Classics the most.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Sounds like you already know what you want. Get the Seymour duncan classic '59 for the neck and bridge. If it doesn't come with gold covers you can always buy some as www.stewmac.com and put them on yourself.

oh yeah... and you are right that the Seymour duncan classic '59 is based on the original gibson PAF's. It's probably the most accurate PAF you can get from a brand name. I think that it sounds like the right pickup for you. If you had $300 to drop on a set of paf's from www.sdpickups.com then his PAF's are more vintage sounding, but you have to pay for them.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 2, 2007,
Yeah, I'm partial to the '59 because I've played a few and own one. You know its just easier to stick with something you're sure of than trying something new via online ordering.
My Music
Oh, and I'm not super concerned with vintage sound. Those are some sweet pickups on sdpickups, but $300... ouch.
My Music