hey guys ive been playing guitar for a year now and i started out on electric guitar started playing acoustic about 2 months ago ( quick question should i of started on acoustic?) and during this year ive learnt lots of stuff with electric guitar like soloing theory rythm finger picking, all the speedy stuff but i just wana get started onto acoustic guitar work because when im older i wana try go into session work so can anyone give me some long time advice?? thnx in advance!! sorry for no full stops or anything like that
I think you should have started with acoustic guitar. It would have build on the basics and the basics are EVERYTHING. The acoustic is all about the player and not all the grinding hard sound its produced by the guitar player itself and the the effects. So my advice is put down the electric until you are at least passable at acoustic.
[Buffalo Straight Edge]
Quote by Cha0sThe0ry
I think you should have started with acoustic guitar. It would have build on the basics and the basics are EVERYTHING. The acoustic is all about the player and not all the grinding hard sound its produced by the guitar player itself and the the effects. So my advice is put down the electric until you are at least passable at acoustic.

so what should i start doing on acoustic?
you should at least be able to play proficiently on acoustic, enough to sit down somewhere with it and be mildly entertaining. but yeah, starting on acoustic wouldve been better, just to teach you the basics. but i started on electric and im a damn good player nowadays. oh and remember that an acoustic is twice as likely to get you laid, its better than a small dog with a frisbee
Quote by Cha0sThe0ry
Are you playing steel strings or nylon strings?

nylon but ill get a cheapy steel string acoustic if its important to get one do ya have msn ? be alot esayer to chat
Quote by Ryansb123
so what should i start doing on acoustic?

just learn to make it sound cool, remember that youre audience doesnt give a **** what scale youre using, those awesome fingering you figured out or any of that, just as long as it sounds cool
Quote by strq010
oh and remember that an acoustic is twice as likely to get you laid, its better than a small dog with a frisbee

Hehe good one. If you speak Spanish and have a nylon string guitar you'll get panties thrown at you from the street.
[Buffalo Straight Edge]
Many of you have fair comments especially the one about acoustic guitars getting the ladies wet. However both options have their advantages,
An electric guitar offers more fluid playing due to its generally low action, slimmer faster necks and lower guage strings , which enable vibrato and easier soloing due to the fact that any duff notes normally play out even when slightly dampened.
An acoustic guitar however can help you gain alot in terms of playing because it enables you to develope better technique due to its reliance on a sound hole rather than pickups. If you hit a duff note on acoustic then it shows. Chrods and fingerstyle are key and when playing acoustic, these are techniques which i have found when teaching are so much easier to teach on electric when learnt on acoustic first. In summery there is not alot that i can suggests other than personal preference, due to the fact that most people naturally fall into a prefered style. I would suggest that no one is wrong to start out by either means but a good knowledge of both is very useful and cross compatible. I personally started with electric and has never done me any harm.
i would start with acoustic cause once you get the hang of acoustic then you can fly on electric. but i guess it doesnt matter as long as you can learn to play the acoustic.