Hey, for some wierd reasons of my own :p I want to put a D string in place of my B string, temporarily. Would this ruin the nut? Because ofc the D-string is thicker and it might... widthen the nut, or something like that. Which I wouldn't like :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
hey if it ruins it then jus get a new nut they're only a couple of quid. n most of them are pretty easy to interchange
it could, although i turned the strings the other way round on a squier and after 2 months the nut was still fine. it's possible, but not likely. and btw they only cost like 2 dollars
just do it if you want too.
but i'd recommend light gauge strings though (less nut tension)
Why not use a G, or E string?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
...why?

Then again Jimi Hendrix strung the low E on the nut that was supposed to hold the high E...unless he flipped the nut...(haha)...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by TSelman
...why?

Then again Jimi Hendrix strung the low E on the nut that was supposed to hold the high E...unless he flipped the nut...(haha)...

i'm pretty sure he flipped the nut.
Quote by louie_dogg
i'm pretty sure he flipped the nut.

he didn't really need to, he set it on fire afterwards, anyway :p

but i'm just not going to do it, then. not until i actually have a nut to replace this on with, anyway!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Depends what the nut is made out of. It won't RUIN it but it could widen the slot a bit if it's plastic. Which won't really make a difference anyway.

The wound D string will have tuning problems though since the slot will be too skinny and catch on the string a bit.

It can be done and it won't hurt anything really.