My friend wants to play bass and hes never really played before, i would recomend him one but i play guitar so im not sure what a good bass is. He's not willing to spend much money probably less than 400. O and if you have an idea for a cheap beginner amp too that would help thanks.

Btw hes gonna play music like RHCP and alternative stuff so yea.

edit sorry $400 USD
ED REED BABY
Last edited by TerpsRHCP at Sep 2, 2007,
400 in what currency?

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
first off i want you to phone your friend and say congradulations on starting bass. i'm going to assume you mean either USD or CAN for that he could get a cheap squire j-bass and a cheap amp. you know what i think the squire starter pack is in that price range even
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
yeah look at some Squiers. I've heard alot of good things about the Vintage Modified Series. Plus, Flea plays a Jazz bass, so you can get one of those from Squier.
his location is B-more....i'm betting that's baltimore so it's U.S.

Ibanez makes a good cheap bass as does yamaha. Like jsbassboy said the squier vintage modified series is looking much better than old squier stuff so give that a try too but i wouldn't recommend a squier unless it was that series personally.

Try not to spend too much on the bass as the amp will affect the tone much more of course.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
All the big manufactuers make a starter kit kinda thing that gives you eveything he shall need.

One of These Shall do:

Squier P-bass

Squier Jazz Bass I got this and I have no complaints.

Da Wasburn I've heard good thing about the amp that comes with this one.

Ibanez GSR190

Tell him to pick one of those, then take the cash thats left over and start saving for a bigger amp.
VM series squiers are excellent for the money and for an amp something simple but still with a good tone. Since he's just starting, wattage shouldn't be an issue. I'd go with a fender rumble 15 bass amp or a crate BT15 bass amp. I've played both and they get good tone for practice amps and neither has died on me yet after 3 1/2 years of abuse. I still actually use my fender amp on a regular basis so I don't have to lug my 120lb real amp back and forth to band practice.
Quote by Revelation
his location is B-more....i'm betting that's baltimore so it's U.S.

Ibanez makes a good cheap bass as does yamaha. Like jsbassboy said the squier vintage modified series is looking much better than old squier stuff so give that a try too but i wouldn't recommend a squier unless it was that series personally.

Try not to spend too much on the bass as the amp will affect the tone much more of course.

If he's just starting he won't really need to worry about tone that much. Just tell him to get a starter pack. I don't recommend getting a Squier or Rogue, He might grow to be annoyed with the way it plays.

EDIT: If he doesn't get a starter pack, like the guy above me said, the Crate BT15 is a nice amp. It was my first and amp and I still use it once in a while. It's a little heavy but it's good quality and versatile.
thanks for the advice im gonna take him to guitar center soon and ill have him play around with a few of these thanks guys
ED REED BABY
just do what i did...a first act p-bass and a firsty amp no doint get it i got those for christmas. probly a fender p or j-bass and i dont really know any good amps
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You