Poll: what type of guitar would suit me best ?
Poll Options
View poll results: what type of guitar would suit me best ?
fender strat
39 53%
fender jazzmaster
4 5%
gibson or epi les paul
19 26%
gibson or epi es 335
11 15%
gibson es 137
0 0%
Voters: 73.
i can't decide between those guitars. my genres are blues, classic rock, jazz, alternative, indie, britpop, blues rock, funk, reggae, modern rock, rock 'n' roll.
which one would you recommend for me ?

poll coming up.

Strat can do more of those better than the others. Apart from jazz.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
im gonna say strat. even possibly one with the humbucker at the bridge. of course, the best thing you can do is go to a store and try them all out.
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
^i live 2 hours driving from a big store... and the local shops only have cheap guitars. so i kinda have to decide without playing them... after i made up my mind then we'll go try them out.
I voted strat, but get the one with the active acoustic bridge pickup. Delux power I think it is. Very versatile in a number of different types of music.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Either of the hollowbodies. They've been prominent in blues, classic rock, jazz, britpop and indie, which seems to cover all of your bases. I don't know much about reggae and funk, but I can't imagine they require something so different that a hollowbody would be completely inappropriate.

Of the two you've got in the poll, I'd go for the 335.
Quote by bokuho
Either of the hollowbodies. They've been prominent in blues, classic rock, jazz, britpop and indie, which seems to cover all of your bases. I don't know much about reggae and funk, but I can't imagine they require something so different that a hollowbody would be completely inappropriate.

Of the two you've got in the poll, I'd go for the 335.

why do you recommend the es 335 over the 137 ?
and would an es 335 sound close to the full, fat and warm sound of a les paul ?
Quote by The red Strat.
why do you recommend the es 335 over the 137 ?

The 335 is typically easier to play for most people, especially on the upper frets (the 137 having the same fret access issues as most Les Paul models). Also the 335 comes with '57 humbuckers (at least it does on the Gibson one, I don't know about the Epiphone) which personally, I know I'd definitely prefer over the standard 137's (the 137 can have the '57s as well, if you get the Custom model. The Classic model though which is what most people pick up, has just a 490 and a 498, which really are just Gibson's cheaper stock pickups they slap on everything).

and would an es 335 sound close to the full, fat and warm sound of a les paul ?
If anything, it'd be a touch warmer. Same with the 137 too, really. All hollowbodies/semi-hollowbodies that use humbuckers are going to be a tad richer sounding than a normal Les Paul.

- You've basically got at one end, your single-coil solidbodies like a Strat.
- Then you get light-bodied super-Strats with humbuckers, SGs and LP studio type guitars that are a touch lighter sounding than a full LP.
- The LP sound comes next.
- Something like a Les Paul Ultra (Epiphone-made LP that sounds like it should cost a lot more than it actually does - maybe you should look into these, they're basically an LP with chunks taken out of the inside so they're almost like a semi-hollowbody but not quite, with a pickup upgrade they're gorgeous, though the upper fret access is even dodgier than most Gibson LPs. Brilliant compromise between a 335 and an LP though).
- Semi-hollowbodies (335, 137, etc).
- Full hollowbodies come in as the richest, fullest, fattest sounding. Hell, you might as well be amping up an acoustic.
if you've got the money i'd suggest Les paul
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
i pretty much play the same styles that you do and i have an hss strat and it works pretty good
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Gibson les paul classic is the way to go if you have the money. I got one and loved it alot more than a strat. Gibson realy is the greatest brand out ther imo. The epis may be less expinseive but not as high quality as a Gibson. Fender is a great guitar but I like the tone the gibson gives alot more. If you get a strat get an american strat alot better quality than a mexican strat.

But reall remember this is your guitar not mine. Whein you buy a guitar it should be like love at first sight. I was sitting in a resterant and there was live music when I saw that black single cutaway gibson les paul I knew thats the one I had to have. Befor you thow toomuch money into a guitar it should be that way for you.
I have the say the strat. Though it looks plain, it's extremely comfortable and versatile.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bokuho
The 335 is typically easier to play for most people, especially on the upper frets (the 137 having the same fret access issues as most Les Paul models). Also the 335 comes with '57 humbuckers (at least it does on the Gibson one, I don't know about the Epiphone) which personally, I know I'd definitely prefer over the standard 137's (the 137 can have the '57s as well, if you get the Custom model. The Classic model though which is what most people pick up, has just a 490 and a 498, which really are just Gibson's cheaper stock pickups they slap on everything).

If anything, it'd be a touch warmer. Same with the 137 too, really. All hollowbodies/semi-hollowbodies that use humbuckers are going to be a tad richer sounding than a normal Les Paul.

- You've basically got at one end, your single-coil solidbodies like a Strat.
- Then you get light-bodied super-Strats with humbuckers, SGs and LP studio type guitars that are a touch lighter sounding than a full LP.
- The LP sound comes next.
- Something like a Les Paul Ultra (Epiphone-made LP that sounds like it should cost a lot more than it actually does - maybe you should look into these, they're basically an LP with chunks taken out of the inside so they're almost like a semi-hollowbody but not quite, with a pickup upgrade they're gorgeous, though the upper fret access is even dodgier than most Gibson LPs. Brilliant compromise between a 335 and an LP though).
- Semi-hollowbodies (335, 137, etc).
- Full hollowbodies come in as the richest, fullest, fattest sounding. Hell, you might as well be amping up an acoustic.

thanks man ! everybody else of course also.

keep the votes coming
you cant go wrong with a strat plus i have one they are gods own guitar
Sigs Are For Pussies
Roughly 80% of your sound is your amp. What amp do you own? Then we can suit the guitar to the amp better.