Which guitar would you guys recommend for hard rock playing,

eg. Hendrix, Priestess, Mastodon, etc.

Which from (irrespective of price) : Jackson Dinky, Epiphone Firebird, Epiphone Explorer, or Parker P36.

Any others?
^ +1
Quote by duncang
They probably think about it just as much, they just don't admit it.

Having sexual thoughts is like farting, we all do it, it's just that girls never let anyone else know about it.
Thanks guys. Any particular reason for those choices? What is wrong (if anything) with the other 2?

Or a Flying V? That sounds appealing. but why is it suited to this type of music?
I'd get a V personally, but the Firebird and Explorer would do good. The Dinky is more for metal, and I've never seen the Parker.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by last man alive
Thanks guys. Any particular reason for those choices? What is wrong (if anything) with the other 2?

Or a Flying V? That sounds appealing. but why is it suited to this type of music?

The V cause it can be very versatile depending on what pickups + amp you play with it, although that applies with most guitars.
Plus, it looks just as good for blues as it does for metal.

There's nothing wrong with the other two, but the Dinky leans more towards metal and is less versatile than the Explorer.
So it's V, Firebird or Explorer. Should i get the Epi version now, or wait 6 months till my 17th birthday when I'll have got enough money for the Gibson version?

I've been playing 6 months, use a Squier Strat that is F*cked (got it for £20 off a mate) but I practice a lot and am better than most of the kids I know who have played for 2-3 years ('cause they don't practice that much) and I'm quite serious about it (play in bands etc.)

What do you guys think? Is it worth shelling out for the Gibson versions? Bearing in mind I won't get another guitar for a long, long time if I do!

Any advice welcomed!
What about the LTD EC-1000? or the ESP Eclipse? or Schecter C1 Classic?

If you are dead set on any of those Gibby's get the Gibson version, I would get the Explorer from your current selection.
I use my friend's second amp. It's a big Marshall thing. It looks pretty expensive. Past that, i'm not sure.

My budget could potentially stretch to about £800 on a guitar.
Quote by last man alive
I use my friend's second amp. It's a big Marshall thing. It looks pretty expensive. Past that, i'm not sure.

maybe go half on an amp and half on your guitar. You can get a nice Laney for 400 quid.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Do what Stevie did and just put heavy strings on your current guitar! :p

But the V, it's really something you like or don't like (oh, really...). Well, if you do get one, make sure you keep another guitar for practicing (unless you like practicing standing up, which could be exhausting depending on your practice sessions).

(btw, Hendrix = hardrock... err?)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by last man alive

"Big Marshall thing"
Can you try to find the model name?

And yes, try to split the money evenly on an amp and a guitar, assuming that your friend's "Big Marshall Thing" is a MG combo.
Sorry, I'm not too up on all the technical stuff as yet. It looks like the Zakk Wylde Microstack.

I don't know where they get 'micro' from, it's as long as a guitar is tall!
Quote by last man alive
Sorry, I'm not too up on all the technical stuff as yet. It looks like the Zakk Wylde Microstack.

Ouch... definitely go halves on the money, spliting it between an amp and a guitar...
I would choose an Epiphone explorer out of all your choices. They're IMO Epiphone's best quality guitars. That will leave you plenty of money to buy a nice amp aswell. Maybe even some new pickups if you don't like the stock Epiphone ones.
Thanks guys. So is the Zakk Wylde Microstack bad? It sounds alright with my guitar.

What amps would you recommend? I can go up to 1/2 my budget (400)
Quote by last man alive

I knew it!

Yes, split the money.
Zakk Wylde Microstack = MG = crap.

And you should see full stacks.
Now, THAT is tall.
I thought it was big...embarrassed...

Now I know it's no good i'll have a complex about using it! What would you recommend buying then?
400 pounds will buy you a really decent tube amp. Look into a used Laney or Orange or Marshall tube combo.

Something like a rocker 30 or a DSL401 should do hard rock really well. They go for about that price used.
Firebird, not the most hard rock but it's different.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.