Power chords have got me really stuck. I don't understand why, but I find them hard to play, and it's hard for me to play most songs because of it. I can't switch them fast enough, but if I do they sound like **** when I strum them....

I think I'm pretty much past the beginner stage if I ever get power chords down, so can someone help me out with this?

thanks.
LARGE TEXT
slow down and figure out WHAT is slowing you down
Slow practice will help, there's also a raelly good article on the bottom left of this page about speed and it's bloody good and you can apply it to your aspect of playing even though its only 5th chords

You have to look at what you're doing to achieve that speed and fluency
i dont understand the problem, are you sliding about and its messing you up? try taking your fingers off and refreting when changing, uhm
can you do barre chords? and other chords?
Oh and with time you'll end up with your fingers automatically locking into a powerchord shape, you wont even have to think about it
Quote by stephen_rettie
i dont understand the problem, are you sliding about and its messing you up? try taking your fingers off and refreting when changing, uhm
can you do barre chords? and other chords?

Yes, I can do barre chords.

And to philipisabeast, where is the article you're talking about?
LARGE TEXT
All a powerchord is is the bottom 2 or 3 notes of a regular chord, so if you can play open and barre chords then you can play powerchords...there's no difference, you're just only playing some of the notes.

Or is it simply that you can't play them as fast as you want, in which case you don't have a problem at all. You're just not that good yet..depending on how fast what you're trying to play is it might be years before you're fast enough.Just practice things slowly, when you can play them slowly you can speed up a little. You keep doing that gradually until you get where you want. However, if you TRY to play fast you'll just screw up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 1, 2007,
try swithcing fingers when you play power chords...I used to just play them with index and ring finger however now I use index and pinky instead sometimes...try switching fingers.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Try open power chords (E5, A5, D5) WHch basically means that the lwoest note of the power chord is an open string. Try swtiching from E5 (Lowest power chord) to A5 second string.

and ALWAYS use two fingers. Forget about the octave note until you can play to finger power chords
FORGET about powerchords completely and just concentrate on learning to play chords. There's nothing about powerchords that you don't learn fom proper chords, they're not an advanced technique or anything to get excited about. If you're struggling with them then your basic technique is lacking, that's all, stop trying to do too much too quickly and work on your chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

it just takes time....eventually you'll be playing fast powerchord songs like Americana or Pretty fly for a white guy...I suggest you practice some offspring stuff...

back when I was learning them, I was ok playing them with the root note on the e-string and then switching to another powerchord with the root note on the e-string, but as soon as I had o switch strings I was screwed....it just takes time and practice
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Sometimes ppl with short fingers have a hard time doing power chords. Try doing stretching exercises with your fingers to get them loosened up. Just keep practicing and eventually they will be the easiest thing to do. sometime you will get fast enuff with them you can use your ring and pinky fingers as well as your index finger. If you just can't stretch them enuff play them james hetfield style with your index and pinky fingers.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by steven seagull
FORGET about powerchords completely and just concentrate on learning to play chords. There's nothing about powerchords that you don't learn fom proper chords, they're not an advanced technique or anything to get excited about. If you're struggling with them then your basic technique is lacking, that's all, stop trying to do too much too quickly and work on your chords.

Actually I found chord progressions easier to understand, learn, and create in the semi-linear form of power chords then in CAGED, with all those confusing shapes. 1st and 5th is way easier to deal with then first, 3rd, 5th, 7th, octave, and so on.
It just seems pretty pointless to me - you're effectively learning the same thing twice and that's just a waste of effort in my eyes. I'm very lazy, if I can learn two things at once I'm all for it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeh, make sure you use your 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers, using your 2nd finger is a big no no...it's a dirty motherfinger (shred masterclass ftw!).
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
People shouldn't try and play fast. If you do, you'll just get it wrong and your playing will be crap overall. Speed will come in time. This is certain. Just try and do it properly, It's boring, but worth it.

So to threadstarter, go very slow. And you'll get the basic finger positions within a month I guarantee. As for switching quickly, like I said, it'll just come.
Build up your finger strength. Play it slow it takes a little time when you first start out.
Quote by Holy.
Yes, I can do barre chords.

wow you're full of ****. If you want help don't lie about what you can do. If you can do barre chords you have power chords down. So please, don't worry about making yourself look good, just be honest about your skill otherwise we can't help you at all.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

The best advise I can give is, just to start with slower songs. You don't wanna start out with say, Slayer.