Ok I am thinking of opening a guitar store up here in Canada, and one idea I would really like to incorporate is having a soundproof "room" for bands to rent to so that they have a place to practise.

I would like it setup so that I have most of the equipment already in the room, so there would be minimal setup on their part.

I was thinking some Roland Cube Amps setup into into a PA system so its pretty close to a live stage, but is versitale enough to accompany a wide range of music styles. Of course I would have a drumset and what not too.

So now some questions for you guys!

1. Is this a dumb idea? Would any of you take advantage of this if it were availible?

2. What size of room woudl I need? I am thinking like the size of a large single garage.

3. Are the Cubes a good idea? Or would people rather play through their own for a practise? I think it would be simple, people wont have to haul their tube combos etc. down. Just bring your guitar, and any effects you need, and plug in. It would also save on setup take down time.

Any other input/crits are most welcome. Mods please move if in the wrong forum.
Last edited by stangconv at Sep 1, 2007,
1. no it's not a dumb idea, my first guitar teacher had a small soundproof room for that, mostly used it for lessons and such so that he could have people trying out guitars and what not outside of the room and have the lesson inside of the room.
2. that would probably work
3.i've never tried a roland cube but that would probably work as long as you can get over the drum's sound and all that stuff.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
awesome idea
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
it depends on how long bands can rent it and how much they cost, i'd say. if you rent it daily or hourly, i don't think it will go over well just for the fact that people are lazy and wouldn't want to move all their stuff just to practice for a day.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
oh and i wouldn't take advantage of it because my band has a good sized garage to use already lol And it's not really that big of a hastle to bring my 100 watt tube combo once a week to my friends house.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
A music store near where I live does that. I think its more important for you to put a drum kit in there than amps. It's alot easier to haul amps and guitars than drums. Amps are nice too though.

P.S. Its people like you who give Americans the impression that Canada is a small place. "up here in Canada" is a VERY general term.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Hendrix6977
i'd probably learn how to spell practice first.

HAHA Yeah I spelt a couple words wrong there, but CMON I got the there/their/they're right. And its not one giant run-on and (to me) is easy to read. Give a guy a break!

Wow thanks for all the quick replys, really appreciate your input! What would be an aprropriate way/price to charge? I was thinking with being able to just come in plug in and play then take your guitar and leave, I was thinking of having a price for an hour (with it getting cheaper every extra hour) or a half day or day.
have diffent payment types, Like if people wanted to rent the room at a certain time for a week, give them a price cheaper than it would be normally. If you are only gonna have one room, the I dont know for sure, unless your not gonna be one of the biggest ones around. Put nice stuff in there, and possibly a security camera, you break it, you buy it should always aply. The camera should only be maybe 400$, so not bad there. Having the price get cheaper by the hour is good, so do that also.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by Doodleface
A music store near where I live does that. I think its more important for you to put a drum kit in there than amps. It's alot easier to haul amps and guitars than drums. Amps are nice too though.

P.S. Its people like you who give Americans the impression that Canada is a small place. "up here in Canada" is a VERY general term.

Yeah I would have a drumset for sure. I was thinking Roland cubes because they are relativly cheap, loud enough to be heard, and can be used for a wide range of music.

also, have a few hour sessions open through the day.
that way, customers can demo YOUR gear in there, crank amps etc. to thier potential without feeling embarrased or nervous.
comfertable customers = comfortable intake
I'm skeptical..

It seems like a good idea but there's more to it than setting up a room for people to play in... For the most part 90% of bands will have some kind of practice space already that they get free so why would they pay to hire a room somewhere else, with different equipment instead of just playing in their garage at home.

It would have to be really cheap to rent and the shop would have to be easily accessable to lots of people otherwise travelling there = time and money.

It's a good idea in theory but you won't know how well it will work until you try I guess. I personally would never even think about using something like that but I guess there's plenty of musicians who would like it.

I would suggest if you're gonna do it. Set it up with some kind of simple home recording studio type setup and get someone who knows how to use it all well and then smaller bands could record decent sounding demos in there.. That is something I would use. And it will bring in more money too.
1. Is this a dumb idea? Would any of you take advantage of this if it were availible?
no its not and YES I WOULD

2. What size of room woudl I need? I am thinking like the size of a large single garage.
id say 20x15 =?

3. Are the Cubes a good idea? Or would people rather play through their own for a practise? I think it would be simple, people wont have to haul their tube combos etc. down. Just bring your guitar, and any effects you need, and plug in. It would also save on setup take down time.

That sounds great but you shuld also hav the option of them being able to bring there own amps just incase =]]

Originally Posted by .smudged.
cook with semen everybody's doing it

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Quote by PaintOurSilence
If you want to get really sick go to a nearby subway station and lick the walls or maybe a homeless man or two .
I'd probably put tube halfstacks there instead of cubes (or atleast upgrade to that eventually) then there will be cabs for people who want to use there own heads and also 60 watt solid states are no match for a rowdy drummer in my experience .
I mean you could start with cubes but plan to upgrade eventually and have all tube gear in there.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
I'd probably put tube halfstacks there instead of cubes (or atleast upgrade to that eventually) then there will be cabs for people who want to use there own heads and also 60 watt solid states are no match for a rowdy drummer in my experience .
I mean you could start with cubes but plan to upgrade eventually and have all tube gear in there.

I was thinking cubes cause they are cheap pretty durable, and sound decent. I might look into tubes if there was a huge demand, but allowing people to bring in their own amps etc, should cover that.

Although Maybe I would offer up some 2x12 so guys can just bring their heads...

Edit: Tube amps would be harder to do if you are trying to cater to a wide variety of genres. I guess if most of my buisness was hard rock/metal then you could get a certain type, but what if one band is this and one is this
Last edited by stangconv at Sep 1, 2007,
i think letting people use there own amps would be easier, so long as you provided minimal assistance in setting up (getitng the amps in the room)

itd be a good idea to make the room larger, and make the rental times worth it just so people take advantage of it.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
All good except the cube IMO. Maybe a low powered (15 watt < tube amp and a moderate pedalboard would be a LOT better.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

well if you are opening a guitar shop. and this is just my observation i could be way off, but it seems like you'll have a variety of amps and stuff that u need to sell. why not take a few of them into the space. and u could give people the option to use your equipment or haul in their own. not saying u should do this but if people did use your amps u might find the need to have an addition charge. not a huge fee but a small one. this sounds like a great idea. you could even turn the whole thing into a practice room/ studio. if you can get the deals to sell recording gear too. if i were you i would also set up like a time period that they rent/ use it for. like blah blah price for 2 days a week for 5 weeks or something along those lines. i really like this idea man. hope all turns out well
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
instead of the cubes you should place a few cabs and tape some paper to each one telling its watt handling and ohmns so the guitar players can just bring in their amp head, or if they want, a combo amp
i think a recording studio is a better idea. desperate bands can practice in there, plus it will bring in more money, granted it will cost more to make. Have you looked into sound proofing? its actually quite expensive, so you might want to check that out. unfortunatly, blankets and eggcartons are the best way
Quote by s.r.v.
i think a recording studio is a better idea. desperate bands can practice in there, plus it will bring in more money, granted it will cost more to make. Have you looked into sound proofing? its actually quite expensive, so you might want to check that out. unfortunatly, blankets and eggcartons are the best way

Hmmm yeah I had thought of that but I thought it might be too much. Because then you have to pay someone to be there for most the time. I was thinking that a place to practice wouldnt be like a super source of the income just a way to get more people walking into the store. If the space basically paid for itself it would be sufficent. If it made even 1 dollar then bonus. I guess if it wasnt a super big hit then I could change it to a recording studio...
yeah offer deals like "come 3 times get the 4th free". and stuff, or try it free for the first week. i would definitly say its free for a week, so people get to know your store.
great idea make sure its air conditiond or climate controlled

really a good idea tho dont charge to much for renting a room out tho
just remember that the people who would probably need a place to practice most would be highschool - college age ppl, so you can't make it too expensive. and i personally would be more likely to use a recording studio rather than just a practice room
Quote by Hendrix6977
i'd probably learn how to spell practice first.

You might ALSO want to know Practise is right...

It's called British spelling which is better then American.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR