I've always wondered? I know there are 6 of them, I just was wondering so that way I have an idea of where I am in the grades and how much I need to improve my theory because I'm starting Jazz Band for bass. Thank you.
theres more than six. i think it goes up to 12. thats the highest grade ive ever heard of up here in canada. but it probably depends on your conservatory.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Well, what are they and what do each of them cover?

Someone must know, just about everyone here brags about being on so and so level in theory.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Doesn't this depend more on where you live? I'm in Canada, and through the more 'classical' stream there is the "royal conservatory", but the grades are the same even if you learn it at university (in canada).

We have 5 grades, and there's a "preliminary" before that. I couldn't really tell you what's in each grade lol, but I finished grade 2 and took the exam in May, and I learned stuff like chord construction, circle of fifths, lots of scales and their construction, cadences, tons of rhythm, uhm...about all I can think of right now, oh intervals.

Grade three moves into history (of classical music, composers etc) and harmony, counter-point as well I think. I'd try and help you out a bit more, but I don't know where you are or who you're doing theory through. That could help? I know each of the three grades I have done (preliminary, grade 1, grade 2) had about 20 chapters - a new concept per chapter. Grade 2 theory goes along with grade 8 piano, and in Canada grade 8 piano means you're pretty proficient. It only goes to grade 10, and then 'teachers' (which has some abbreviation with like an 'a' in it somewhere i think lol). Anyway, I hope that helped somewhat? Let me know if there's anymore more specific that you want

Were you just looking for like:
grade 1: concept A, B, C, D etc?

and so on for each grade? Google could probably help with that
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
i think it is internationally recognised(in anglo saxon countries) that before any college grade 8 is the professional grade. doesn't matter if you take classical or jazz based. you must also take into consideration that there is the practical grades and the theoretical grades.

practical are minimal theory, just scales and arpeggios, while theoretical is more ofthe stuff like scale formulas and what are scales built off. they go hand in hand.

but in eastern european countries, you do 12 years of music study(pretty explainable whythe russians are all great musicians) and that includes practical and theoretical music. so all depends on what side of the globe you stay
This wont be settled until there is a global recognition of a single regiem of grades, in the UK there are 8 and it is officiated by the ABRSM, which is the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.

Its got the word "royal" in it so Id go with that
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
find the website for your local conservatory and see what system they follow. or better yet, find a teacher and just ask them.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Here in england its generally 8 grades for theory, as there is for performance

then theres various diplomas after that, the industry in general requires usually just a grade 5, and anything beyond that is only really useful unless your goin down the analysis or composition scholar

I myself have the grad 8 theory
Is there any lessons on each of these concepts on the Internet? Can someone post a link, please? Thanks.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein